Daily Current Affairs 22 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MEA launches SAMEEP to take Indian foreign policy to students across the country
With an aim to bring foreign policy to the masses the External Affairs Ministry has come up with an initiative – SAMEEP – ‘Students and MEA Engagement Programme’. Under this MEA officials will talk to students to help them better understand foreign policy.
- The main objective of SAMEEP is to take Indian foreign policy and its global engagements to students across the country. Under this programme, all the ministry officers – under-secretary and above – will be asked to go to their hometowns, particularly their alma maters.
India declares $25 million assistance for Rakhine State
India has announced a development assistance of $25 million for Myanmar’s Rakhine State, from where thousands of Rohingya Muslims recently fled following incidents of violence against the community.
India to set up IT centre in Egypt’s Al Azhar University
India will be establishing a Centre of Excellence in Information Technology (CEIT) at Al Azhar University, Egypt’s highest religious authority and one of the world’s most eminent seats of Sunni Muslim learning.
Indian Navy conducts Exercise Naseem-Al-Bahr with Oman Navy
Indian Navy conducted the joint naval exercise Naseem-Al-Bahr with the Oman Navy. The exercise is also known as Sea Breeze. This is the 11th edition of the exercise which has been a biennial feature since 1993. The exercise was conducted in Muscat, Oman.
Patanjali ranked India’s most trusted FMCG Brand
Patanjali has been ranked as India’s most trusted Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Brand by the Brand Trust Report India Study 2017 and has been announced as the most attractive brand in India.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI’s Financial Stability Report: ‘NPAs may rise to 10.8% in March 2018, 11.1% by Sept’
According to the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Financial Stability Report (FSR), gross non-performing assets (GNPAs) might rise from 10.2 per cent of gross advances in September 2017 to 10.8 per cent in March 2018 and further to 11.1 per cent by September 2018.
- It further said that the global economy has picked up steam and the growth momentum appears sustainable.
India captain Mithali Raj, Ekta Bisht named in ICC ODI team of the year
India captain Mithali Raj was named in the ICC women’s ODI team of the year while left-arm spinner Ekta Bisht was the lone cricketer to find a place in the both the ODI and T20 Teams of the year announced by the world body.
- Besides the duo, Harmanpreet Kaur has found out a place in the ICC women’s T20I team of the year.
- The teams were selected taking into consideration player performances from 21 September, 2016 to date.
Vijay Rupani to continue as Gujarat CM
After the BJP won the election for the 182-member Gujarat Assembly, claiming a clear majority of 99 seats, Vijay Rupani has been announced as the chief minister of Gujarat. Nitin Patel will also continue as the Deputy Chief Minister of the state.
Salman Khan tops Forbes India Celebrity 100 list again
Superstar Salman Khan has once again maintained the top spot in Forbes India Celebrity 100 list for the second consecutive year. Shah Rukh Khan and India’s cricket captain Virat Kohli took the second and third spot respectively with actor Priyanka Chopra named as only female celebrity in top 10 list.
- The 2017 Forbes India Celebrity 100 List rankings are based on estimates of entertainment-related earnings of celebrities.
Delhi ex-Lt Governor Banwari Lal Joshi passes away
Delhi’s former Lt Governor Banwari Lal Joshi has passed away after undergoing treatment for cardiac and respiratory issues.
National Mathematics Day: 22 December
Famed Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan’s birth anniversary on December 22 is celebrated as National Mathematics Day.
- The mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22 December 1887 and died on 26 April 1920. It was in recognition of his contribution to mathematics the Government of India decided to celebrate Ramanujan’s birthday as the National Mathematics Day every year and to celebrate 2012 as the National Mathematics Year.
Click here to read Current Affairs in English
Click here to read Current Affairs in Hindi