Daily Current Affairs 22 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Railway customers can now converse in Hindi through ‘ASKDISHA’ chatbot
In order to resolve queries of railway passengers, the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) has now powered voice-enabled ‘ASKDISHA’ to converse with customers in Hindi language.
- The customers can now ask queries to ‘ASKDISHA’ chatbot in the Hindi language by voice as well as text.
- The chatbot is a special computer programme designed to simulate conversations with users, especially over the internet.
Chitra Bharati Film Festival hels in Ahmedabad
The three day festival, known as the Chitra Bharati Film Festival (CBFF) held at Gujarat University in Ahmedabad. This will be the third edition of the festival- the first was held in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, in 2016, and the second at Delhi’s Siri Fort Auditorium in 2018.
- Around 140 films falling under four categories are to be screened at the festival. The categories are short film, documentary, animation and campus film.
PM Modi inaugurates International Judicial Conference in New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two day International Judicial Conference (IJC) at the Additional Building, Supreme Court Complex in New Delhi.
- The conference will witness the participation of numerous other international legal luminaries from across the world. The theme of the International Judicial Conference 2020 is “Judiciary and the changing world”.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI Card join hands with Landmark group to launch 3 new retail co-branded credit cards
SBI Card has partnered with Landmark Group, one of the largest retail and hospitality conglomerates in India, to launch a unique set of retail co-branded credit cards.
- The three newly launched cards, Lifestyle Home Centre SBI Card, Max SBI Card and Spar SBI Card, have been introduced in partnership with four Landmark Group brands – Lifestyle, Home Centre, Max and Spar.
- The new co-brand cards are available in three variants – Base, SELECT and PRIME and cater to consumers across segments from value-for-money to premium to super premium.
National Payments Corporation of India launches ‘UPI Chalega’ campaign
The “UPI Chalega” campaign was launched by the National Payments Corporation of India.
- The aim of the campaign to guide users towards the right usage of UPI and help create a habitual change, use of UPI in their daily life.
- The campaign also focuses on safety aspects while transacting on UPI enabled apps.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Ministry of MSME launches national level awareness programme
Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched a National Level Awareness Programme (NLAP) 2020.
- The objective of the NLP is to spread awareness about schemes and activities undertaken by the Ministry and its attached organisations — Office of Development Commissioner (MSME), Khadi & Village Industries Commission, Coir Board, National Small Industries Corporation Limited, National Institute of MSME, MSME Technology Centres, and Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Rural Industrialisation.
Ross Taylor becomes first player in the world to play 100 matches in all three formats
Veteran New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor became the first player in the world to play 100 matches in all three formats of cricket. The landmark achievement came as he took the field against India in the opening Test at Basin Reserve in Wellington.
- He has also played 231 ODIs for New Zealand. The right-handed batsman is already his country’s leading run-scorer in Test and ODI
Sunil Gurbaxani appointed as Dhanlaxmi Bank’s MD & CEO
RBI has approved the appointment of Sunil Gurbaxani as Managing Director and CEO of the Dhanlaxmi Bank for a period of three years from the date of taking charge.
- Gurbaxani is working with Axis Bank at present.
Irish PM Leo Eric Varadkar resigns
Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar resigned but stayed on as interim leader while the country’s three main parties battle out coalition talks after an inconclusive election.
- Varadkar, Ireland’s first openly gay leader, tendered his resignation as Taoiseach, or prime minister, to President Michael Higgins after the first sitting of Ireland’s lower house of Parliament since a February 8 election which radically recast the political landscape.
Former IAS officers Bhaskar Khulbe, Amarjeet Sinha appointed advisors to PM
Retired IAS officers Bhaskar Khulbe and Amarjeet Sinha have been appointed as Advisors to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Both the Indian Administrative Service officers are from the 1983 batch. Khulbe was from the West Bengal cadre and Sinha was from the Bihar cadre.
- Sinha retired as the Rural Development Secretary last year, while Khulbe has served in the PMO.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw won EY Entrepreneur of the Year award for 2019
Biocon CMD Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw has been named the EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2019 at the 21st edition of the awards.
- She will now represent India at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year Award (WEOY) in Monte Carlo between June 4 and 6, 2020.
ESPN Multi-Sport Annual Awards 2019 announced:PV Sindhu & Saurabh Chaudhary becomes Sportperson of the year Female & Male
Ace Indian shuttler P.V. Sindhu and shooter Saurabh Chaudhary bagged the female and male sportsperson of the year in the ESPN India Annual Multi-Sport Awards announced.
- Dutee Chand was named as the first winner of the ESPN India Courage Award.
- Koneru Humpy won the award for the ‘Comeback of the Year’
- Wrestler Deepak Punia won ESPN’s ‘Emerging Sportsperson of the Year Award 2019’.
- Pullela Gopichand, chief national badminton coach, claimed the ‘Coach of the Year’ Award.
- Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary grabbed the ‘Team of the Year Award’.
- 30-year-old Manasi Joshi won ‘Differently-abled athlete of the year/Para-athlete of the year Award’.
- Balbir Singh (Senior), one of independent India’s most celebrated Olympians, was conferred with ESPN’s ‘Lifetime Achievement’ Award 2019.
Indian freelance journalist Ahmer Khan wins AFP’s Kate Webb Prize
Ahmer Khan, the 27-year-old Indian freelance reporter, was named the winner of the 2019 Agence France-Presse Kate Webb Prize on Thursday for his coverage on the ground in Kashmir during the lockdown of the region.
- Khan was honoured for a series of video and written reports that vividly illustrated the impact on locals in the region following India’s decision to abrogate article 370 that granted special status to Jammu and Kashmir in August.
Indian Railways Customer grievance portal “RailMadad” gets National e-Governance Awards
RailMadad, the grievance redressal portal of Indian Railways, has been awarded Silver under Category II of National e-Governance Awards – “Excellence in providing Citizen-centric Delivery”.
- This award was conferred during the 23rd National Conference on e-Governance which was held in Mumbai.
- RailMadad portal can be accessed by Railways customers using RailMadad Helpline 139 (with IVRS, voice and SMS facility), RailMadad website: railmadad.indianrailways.gov.in & RailMadad App (on android & iOS).
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Railways launched HRMS Mobile app for its employees
In a bid to bring transparency in the administrative functioning of the Indian Railways, Railway Board Chairman Vinod Kumar Yadav launched the HRMS mobile app, in which the employees can see the data related to their service and communicate with the administration for any changes, if required.
- The app has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS).