Daily Current Affairs 22 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first water taxi service inaugurated in Maharashtra
The long-awaited water taxi services connecting the twin cities, Mumbai and Navi Mumbai, first of its kind in India, was flagged off by Union Shipping Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in the presence of Chief Minister Udhav Thackeray.
- The ₹8.37–crore project will presently run on three routes and the State and the Centre have each shared 50% of the expenditure. The three routes include Belapur to Ferry Wharf – the domestic cruise terminal, Belapur to Elephanta Caves and Belapur to JNPT.
- In the initial stage, seven speedboats each with a capacity of 10 to 30 passengers and one catamaran with passenger capacity of around 50 to 60 will run on these routes. The cost per person on a single journey will be between ₹820 to ₹1,200 for speed boats and ₹290 for the catamaran.
48th Khajuraho Dance Festival begins in Madhya Pradesh
The 48th Khajuraho Dance Festival commenced from in Madhya Pradesh. The week long festival will be held till February 26th. The festival being organized in Khajuraho, located in Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- The festival is being organized on the theme of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. Renowned artists from across the country and the world are performing at the festival. On the first day Kathak performance by the disciples of late Pandit Birju Maharaj, Kalashram New Delhi is centre of attraction.
HP’s first biodiversity park comes up at Mandi’s Bhulah valley
The first biodiversity park of Himachal Pradesh has been established at a cost of Rs 1 crore at Bhulah in Janjehli Valley of Mandi district, which would prove to be a boon for researchers and tourists and also help conserve endangered Himalayan herbs.
- With this park, the valley of Bhulah is ready to make its contribution towards conservation of the endangered Himalayan herbs.
- Along with helping researchers to conduct in-depth research, the park will also prove as a special attraction for tourists from across the globe.
India, Oman begin ‘Eastern Bridge-VI’ air force exercise
To bolster operational efficiency through interoperability, the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) are participating in a bilateral exercise named ‘Eastern Bridge-VI’ from 21 to 25 February 2022 at Air Force Station Jodhpur.
- The 6th edition of the exercise is aimed at providing an opportunity to enhance operational capability and interoperability between the two Air Forces.
Education ministry approves continuation of RUSA scheme till 2026
The Ministry of Education has approved the scheme of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for continuation till 2026, officials said.
- RUSA is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) for funding the state government universities and colleges to achieve the aims of equity, access, and excellence.
- The proposal entails an expenditure of Rs 12,929.16 crore out of which the central share is Rs 8,120.97 crores and the state share is Rs 4,808.19 crores. It has been envisaged to support around 1,600 projects under the new phase of the scheme.
Women and Child Development Ministry extends PM CARES for Children Scheme till February end
Women and Child Development Ministry have extended the PM Cares for Children Scheme till the end of this month. Earlier the scheme was valid till 31st December 2021.
- The objective of the scheme is to ensure comprehensive care and protection of children who have lost their parents during COVID pandemic.
- The PM CARES for children scheme provides support to children for ensuring education, health, monthly stipend from the age of 18 years, and lump sum amount of 10 lakh rupees on attaining 23 years of age. Any Citizen can inform the administration regarding a child eligible for support under this scheme through the portal.
Rural Development Ministry approves 296 clusters under Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission
The 6th Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission is being observed on February 21,2022.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Mission on this day in 2016 to develop 300 clusters in the country holistically by providing economic, social and physical infrastructure facilities. So far, Rural Development Ministry has approved 296 clusters under the Mission.
- The Mission focuses on cluster-based integrated development through Spatial Planning. Rurban clusters are identified across the country’s rural areas showing increasing signs of urbanization.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI cancels licence of Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the licence of Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank and consequently, the bank ceases to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business on 16 February.
- The commissioner for cooperation and registrar of cooperative societies, Maharashtra has been requested to issue an order for winding up the bank and appoint a liquidator for the bank.
- The Reserve Bank said it cancelled the licence as the bank does not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
Kotak Mahindra Bank partners Ezetap for PoS solutions
Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd said it has partnered Ezetap to provide integrated point of sale (PoS) solutions across 4,000 locations in India.
- Through this association, Ezetap’s integrated and customised point of sale (PoS) solutions will benefit scores of KMBL’s merchants in retail business spread across the country.
- It will, the bank said, give retail customers a way to pay through cards and digital modes across all touchpoints in the purchase journey whether at the counter in-store or paying on delivery.
BSE Ebix, LIC join hands for distribution of insurance products
BSE Ebix Insurance Broking, a joint venture of BSE and Ebix Fincorp Exchange Pte Ltd, announced signing of an insurance broker agreement for the distribution of Life Insurance Corporation’s (LIC) products on its platform.
- Under this agreement, BSE Ebix will offer their clients insurance products offered by LIC such as Life and Health, using its omni-channel digital presence, the exchange said in a statement.
- This partnership aims at offering customer centric solutions backed by technological innovations and best in class services.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NAFED signs MoU with IOC for setting up bio-fuel projects
In a bid to boost the production of biofuel in the country to curb carbon emissions, among others, agri co-op giant NAFED signed an MoU with Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- The MoU was signed to set-up Bio-fuel projects, Plants for post-processing of products viz Cattle feed & Marketing of end products of CBG.
- The project will benefit Farmers, communities, and Environment in the region & contribute to Hon. PM vision 2021 for making India a ‘Net Zero Emission Country by 2070?.
Tata Power, RWE Renewables GmbH tie up to develop offshore wind projects
Tata Power and Germany-based RWE Renewables GmbH have joined hands to explore the potential for joint development of offshore wind projects in India.
- The MoU between Tata Power Renewable Energy and RWE becomes significant in the light of the Government of India’s announcement of achieving 30 gigawatts (GW) of offshore wind installations by 2030 to meet the country’s growing power demand.
Bharti Airtel joins SEA-ME-WE-6 undersea cable consortium
Bharti Airtel Ltd said that it has joined the SEA-ME-WE-6 undersea cable consortium to scale up its high speed global network capacity and serve India’s fast growing digital economy.
- The 19,200 Rkm SEA-ME-WE-6 will connect Singapore and France, and will be amongst the largest undersea cable systems globally.
- Airtel is participating as a major investor in the SEA-ME-WE-6 and is anchoring 20% of the overall investment in the cable system, which will go LIVE in 2025.
Honda Cars India appoints Takuya Tsumura as new President and CEO
Honda Motor Company Limited has announced the appointment of Takuya Tsumura as the President and CEO of Honda Cars India Limited (HCIL) effective from April 1, 2022.
- This move is part of Honda’s annual management changes as Gaku Nakanishi, current President and CEO of HCIL, moves to Asia and Oceania region as GM, Automobile business.
- Takuya Tsumura has been associated with the Japanese automaker for more than three decades and brings with him massive experience he gained while working in countries like Thailand, Australia, China, Turkey, Japan and also in Europe. He was at Honda Cars head office for South Asian countries from 1998 to 2000, including India.
Emma Terho re-elected as Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Athletes’ Commission (AC) has re-elected Emma Terho as the Chair of the commission.She took the Chair of the Commission on August 06, 2021, during the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
- Apart from this, Seung Min Ryu (Republic of Korea, table tennis) has been re-elected as first Vice-Chair of the Commission.
- Sarah Walker (New Zealand, cycling) has been elected as IOC AC’s second Vice-Chair, a position created in December 2021.
ICICI Bank’s Sandeep Bakhshi named Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21
Sandeep Bakhshi, managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank, is the Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21 for turning around the private sector lender and changing the perception about it during his tenure of the past three and a half years.
- Bakshi Bakhshi, managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank, is the Business Standard Banker of the Year 2020-21 for turning around the private sector lender and changing the perception about it during his tenure of the past three and a half years.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India’s first Biosafety Level-3 mobile laboratory launched in Maharashtra
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare announced that India’s first Biosafety level-3 containment mobile laboratory was launched in Nashik, Maharashtra.
- The mobile laboratory has been set up to investigate newly emerging and re-emerging viral infections that are highly infectious and of lethal potential to human beings.
- The mobile laboratory provides a public health solution as it can be simply driven around to various locations, just like a normal bus. This laboratory will be able to access remote and forested areas of the country where specially trained scientists from ICMR can investigate outbreaks using samples from humans and animal sources.
Andhra Pradesh Industries Minister Mekapati Goutham Reddy passes away
Andhra Pradesh Industries Minister Mekapati Goutham Reddy passed away in a private hospital in Hyderabad in Telangana. He was 50.
- Reddy, was a two-time MLA from the Atmakur Assembly constituency in the Nellore district in Andhra Pradesh.
Gandhian social worker & freedom fighter Shakuntala Choudhary passes away
Shakuntala Choudhary, the 102-year-old Gandhian social worker and freedom fighter, passed away in Guwahati.
- Hailing from Assam’s Kamrup, she worked for the wellbeing of villagers, especially women and children, and was popularly known as Shakuntala Baideo.
- She was named a Padma Shri award recipient by the Government of India, this year.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“The Founders: The Story of Paypal” book by Jimmy Soni
The book titled ‘’The Founders: The Story of Paypal and the Entrepreneurs Who Shaped Silicon Valley ’’written by author Jimmy Soni. The book will be published by Simon & Schuster soon.
- It highlights the story of multinational digital-payments company PayPal and how it covered the journey of a start-up that turned into one of the most successful companies of all time, worth over USD 70 billion today.
- It also offers colourful anecdotes about famous people like Elon Musk, Peter Thiel, and Reid Hoffman.
A book on Rabindranath Tagore authored by Uma Das Gupta released
The book titled “A History of Sriniketan: Rabindranath Tagore’s Pioneering Work in Rural Construction” was authored by Uma Das Gupta has been released recently.
- The book was published under Niyogi Books ‘Paper Missile’ released.
- The book contains Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore’s work in ‘village reconstruction’ by setting up ‘Sriniketan’, a wing of his Visva Bharati International University at Santiniketan in 1922, which is also popularly known as a university town. It is situated in West Bengal.