Daily Current Affairs 22 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Defence Ministry approved procurement of 5,100 crores of hardware
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh accorded approval for procurement of equipment worth over ₹5,100 crore from indigenous sources.
- The DAC also approved prototype testing of trawl assemblies designed by DRDO for T-72 and T-90 tanks providing an important indigenous de-mining capability to the Army.
Govt notifies National Startup Advisory Council, Commerce Minister to chair
The government notified the structure of the National Startup Advisory Council.
The council to be chaired by commerce and industry minister.
- The council will suggest measures to foster a culture of innovation amongst citizens and students in particular, promote innovation in all sectors of economy across the country, support creative and innovative ideas through incubation and create an environment of absorption of innovation in industry.
Prime Minister Modi chaired the 32nd edition of PRAGATI platform meeting
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the 32nd interaction through PRAGATI – the ICT-based, multi-modal platform for pro-active governance and timely implementation.
- In the previous 31 interactions ofPRAGATI, projects worth over Rs 12 lakh crores have been reviewed by the Prime Minister. In the last PRAGATI meeting of the year 2019, nine projects worth over Rs. 61,000 crore related to 16 states and the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir were taken up for discussion
Government of Maharashtra makes the reading of Preamble mandatory in Maharashtra schools
Maharashtra government has made reading of Preamble of the Constitution after prayer mandatory in all primary and secondary schools, starting from January 26,2019.
Uttar Pradesh Government launches Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana
Uttar Pradesh Government has launched Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana which will provide financial assistance to family of farmers who die or become handicapped while working in fields.
- Under the ‘Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana, if a farmer or any member of his family dies while working in a field then they will be given financial assistance of five lakh The scheme will cover farmers and their family members in the age group of 18-70 years
A Committee to Draft Legislation on Mediation has been set up by Supreme Court of India
The Supreme Court has set up a panel headed by mediator Niranjan Bhat,to firm up a draft legislation to give legal sanctity to disputes settled through mediation, which would then be sent to the government as a suggestion from the apex court.
- The other members of the panel, appointed by the Mediation and Project Conciliation Committee (MCPC) of the Supreme Court, included Justice K Kanan, former ASGs AS Chandok and PS Narsimha, senior advocates Sriram Panchu and JP Singh, and senior mediators Susheela S, Sadhna Ramchandran, Laila Ollapally, and Anil Xavier
Panel headed by Amit Shah to create tougher law against sexual harassment at work
The Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Home Minister Amit Shah, which was constituted to strengthen the legal framework to prevent sexual harassment at the workplace.
- The panel members include Union Minister of Finance(MoF) Smt.Nirmala Sitharaman; Union Minister of Human Resource and Development(MHRD) Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal and Union Minister for Women and Child Development (MoWCD) Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani.
Shri Mansukh Mandaviya participates in the Round-table of UNAIDS on the theme “Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health”
The Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) and Chemical & Fertilizers Shri Mansukh Mandaviya participated in the High-level roundtable of UNAIDS (The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS) on the theme Access for all: Leveraging Innovations, Investments and Partnerships for Health at World Economic Forum at Davos, Switzerland.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI ranked 6th in buying gold abroad in World Gold Council report
According to the report released by World Gold Council (WGC) titled “World Gold Outlook 2020”,the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) bought 7.5 tonnes of gold last October, buttressing its foreign exchange reserves to $450 billion .RBI became the sixth largest buyer when it purchased 25.2 tonnes in first 10 months of 2019 to hedge government’s sovereign gold bond issue.
- The central banks of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Poland bought more than India. In 2019, the largest gold sellers were Uzbekistan and Venezuela.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Hyderabad Metro starts carpool services in partnership with redBus
In an effort to strengthen its last mile connectivity project, Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited launched a car and bike pooling service in collaboration with redBus. It allows office-goers to avail and offer rides in their personal cars/bikes while commuting between home and their workplace.
Bharti Airtel receives approval from Telecom department to raise FDI in the company to 100%
The telecom department has approved raising the foreign direct investment (FDI) limit in Bharti Airtel to 100% from an earlier 49%, a provision that can help the telco draw more overseas funds.
- Earlier, RBI (Reserve Bank of India) granted the company allows the FPls/Flls to invest up to 74% of the paid-up capital.
Airtel joins hands with Bharti AXA to provide Rs 179 prepaid plan with life insurance of Rs 2 lakh
Bharti Airtel Limited (also known as Airtel), an Indian global telecommunications services company has partnered with Bharti AXA Life Insurance Company Limited to offer Rs 2 lakh insurance cover to Airtel users with every recharge of Rs 179 prepaid bundle. In case of insurance cover, the users taking this plan should be between 18 and 54 years old
IMF trims India’s 2019 GDP growth forecast to 4.8% from 6.1%
The IMF lowered India’s economic growth estimate for the current fiscal to 4.8 per cent from 6.1% and listed the country’s much lower-than-expected GDP numbers as the single biggest drag on its global growth forecast for two years.
- Global growth, estimated at 2.9 per cent in 2019, is projected to increase to 3.3 per cent in 2020 and inch up further to 3.4 per cent in 2020
Yogeshwar Dutt & Deepa Malik included in All India Council of Sports
Celebrated wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt and Paralympian Deepa Malik were among the new inductees in the government’s All India Council of Sports (AICS), from which batting great Sachin Tendulkar and chess wizard Viswanathan Anand have been omitted for not being “active” enough.
- Some other renowned new entrants in the Council are former shooter Anjali Bhagwat, footballer Renedy Singh, and mountaineer Bachendri Pal. Senior India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh has also been inducted in the council.
Royal Bank of Scotland appoints Punit Sood as RBS India Head
RBS India, the technology and operations hub of the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), has appointed Punit Sood as the Head of RBS India.Punit was earlier appointed as the Head of Technology India, where he shaped the India Technology business to function as a centre of excellence for RBS.
The Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020 award presented by President Kovind
President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2020 to children under various categories including innovation, scholastic, sports, art and culture, social service and bravery
- Ishan Sharma who saved a Russian tourist from two robbers, Omkar Singh who holds the world record for the youngest theoretical author and youngest pianist in India Gauri Mishra were among those who were given the Bal Shakti Puraskar 2020 .
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Adani Capital acquires Essel Finance’s MSME lending business
Adani Capital Pvt. Ltd, the NBFC arm of the Adani Group, focused on lending to small & micro entrepreneurs, has acquired Essel Finance’s MSME loan business. The business has a secured loan book of approximately Rs 145 crore comprising 1100 customers, a staff strength of 40 professionals and operates out of 10 cities in India.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Seismic Hazard Microzonation project was launched by the Ministry of Earth Science
The Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan released Seismic microzonation reports for Delhi and Kolkata in New Delhi . The scientific endeavours should help us to minimize the impact of earthquakes by (a) Proper assessment of Seismic Hazard (b) Implementation of safe building construction codes, and (c) adopting appropriate land-use planning.
- Earlier a seismic zoning map for entire India was prepared and published by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), classifying the entire country into 4 major groups Zone-V (High intensity) to Zone-II (Low intensity)
WHO: TB diagnostic test ‘TrueNat’ developed in India has high accuracy
WHO Global TB Programme has included an Indian Molecular assay TrueNat as initial test for TB and MDR-TB in view of its high diagnostic accuracy, in the rapid communication document on Molecular assays released by WHO’s Global TB Programme.
- The TrueNat TB test is a new molecular test that diagnosis TB as well as testing for resistance to the drug rifampicin in about 90 minutes.
Tropical Cyclone Tino batters Fiji
Cyclone Tino has hit an island nation of Fiji. Vanua Levu, which is the second largest island in Fiji was hit by Cyclone Tino, where Winds observed at the speed of 130-140 kmph with warnings of very heavy rains, coastal flooding and flash floods in some parts.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Hariharan Balagopal’s Book ‘The Gateway’: A Social Commentary on Safety of Senior Citizens released
Hariharan Balagopal authored book “The Gateway: A Social Commentary on Safety of Senior Citizens” was released by Justice Konakuppakatil Gopinathan Balakrishnan, former Chief Justice of India (CJI), at the 14th Security Leadership Summit held in New Delhi. The book was published by Ailum publications. It stresses about the lack of safety faced by senior citizens.
Ashwani Kumar’s book, Human Dignity – A purpose in perpetuity launched
Former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar authored the book title “Human Dignity – A purpose in perpetuity”, which was released by Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during a book launch event at the India International Centre in New Delhi. The book was published by US(United States) based publisher LexisNexis.