Daily Current Affairs 22 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
15th India Digital Summit 2021 held virtually
The two-days 15th edition of India Digital Summit 2021, one of the biggest conference for the digital industry, was organised through virtual platform. The Summit is the flagship event of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- The event was inaugurated by the honourable Chief Guest Union Minister for Communications, Electronics & IT and Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- The theme of the 2021 Summit was ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat – Start of New Decade’ .
- The summit provides a platform to thought leaders, to create a new digital ecosystem, by empowering the growing digital economy of the country through various digital initiatives that will cover Policies, Business, Investment, Advertising, Digital Commerce, Start-ups Ecosystem, Emerging Tech, and other Digital Trends.
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani announces ‘Horticulture Development Mission’
In Gujarat, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani announced the ‘Horticulture Development Mission’ (Bagayat Vikas Mission).
- The aim of this mission is to double the income of farmers involved in medicinal and horticulture farming. Under this mission, the waste land of the government will be given on 30-year lease for farming of horticulture and medicinal crops.
- As per an estimate, the government has about 50,000 non-cultivated land waste lands. The government intends to convert this land into cultivation. A list of land blocks for land allotment in transparent manner will be released on I-Khedut portal.
- Lease amount applicable will be Rs 100 to Rs 500 per year per acre during 6th to 30th year. Lease holders will be able to set up solar panel, windmills to generate energy for their own use, but will not be allowed to sell it.
Gujarat CM renames dragon fruit as ‘kamalam’
Dragon fruit will be known as ‘Kamalam’ in Gujarat. The state government has decided to rename the fruit as the outer shape of the fruit resembles a lotus, said Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
- As the outer shape of the fruit resembles a lotus, hence Dragon Fruit shall be renamed as Kamalam.
- Kamalam in Sanskrit means Lotus. Dragon Fruit that has become increasingly popular in recent years, is a tropical fruit with a unique look and taste.
Indian Railways renames iconic Howrah-Kalka Mail as ‘Netaji Express’
Ahead of iconic freedom fighter Subhas Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary, the Indian Railways renamed the Howrah-Kalka Mail as the ‘Netaji Express’.
- The Howrah-Kalka Mail is one of the oldest running trains at present in the Indian Railways network. The train first operated in the year 1866 and it has been in service of the nation for more than 150 years.
- The Howrah-Kalka Mail runs between Howrah (Eastern Railway) and Kalka (Northern Railway) via Delhi.
World Economic Forum releases the Global Risks for 2021
The World Economic Forum(WEF) recently released the 16th edition of the Global Risks Report, 2021. The report was released based on the Global Risks Perception Survey undertaken by more than 650 members of World Economic Forum.
- The report was released before the upcoming Davos Agenda Summit of World Economic Forum. This year, in 2021, the World Economic Forum is to launch the Great Reset Initiative alongside Davos Agenda Summit. The main aim of the report is to prepare the Government and other international communities during the times of crisis.
- The report describes that the top 3 risks by likelihood are extreme weather, climate action failures and human environmental damage. This is very likely to happen in the next 10 years. And the top 3 risks by impact are infectious diseases, climate action failures and weapon of mass destruction, these are the amount of impact they are expected to create.
- The report states that pandemic COVID-19 has resulted in a widespread impact on major rankings of 2021 as compared to the Global Risks Report Rankings of 2020. The pandemic has caused loss to the lives, hampered economic development, especially of poorest nations. The pandemic has also resulted in amplifying wealth inequalities across the world.
BANKING & FINANCE
Axis Bank launches credit card with health, wellness benefits
Axis Bank, India’s third-largest private sector bank, announced the launch of ‘AURA’, a credit exclusively loaded with several health and wellness benefits for its users.
- Aimed at health-conscious individuals, these features will be powered by Poshvine and other specialists such as Decathlon, Practo, Fitternity, IndushealthPlus, 1MG etc., to offer a complete and unique health & wellness solution.
- The curated and affordable health and wellness offering from Axis Bank has partners like IndusHealth Plus, a health check-up company and Practo, an online medical consultation platform.
- Cardholders will be eligible for a discount on annual medical check-up via IndushealthPlus.
Mastercard launches resource site to support digital transformation of SMEs in Asia Pacific
To assist small and medium enterprises (SMEs) get well from the pandemic and put together for the long run, Mastercard has launched the Digital Acceleration for Small Businesses microsite throughout most of its Asia Pacific web sites with data and assets on digitalize and run companies extra effectively.
- The one-stop centre features guides on digital transformation, e-learning courses, information about Mastercard products and services for SMEs, cybersecurity insights and tools to reduce vulnerabilities and access discounts on business software solutions, e-commerce platforms and digital marketing services.
- The Digital Acceleration for Small Businesses centre is available across Mastercard’s English-language websites for Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Hong Kong, India and Southeast Asia. It will be rolled out selectively on non-English sites in the future.
IIFL Home Finance ties up with Standard Chartered Bank for co-lending
Fairfax-backed IIFL Finance said its home loan subsidiary IIFL Home Finance and Standard Chartered Bank entered into a co-lending arrangement for extending credit to MSME loans (loan against property).
- This is one of the first co-lending arrangements in the industry after Reserve Bank India’s co-lending guidelines were issued.
- Under this partnership, IIFL Home Finance Ltd and the Standard Chartered Bank will co-originate these loans and the IIFL Home Finance Ltd will service the customers through the entire loan life-cycle including sourcing, documentation, collection and loan servicing.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
BSE signs MoU with Maharashtra govt to encourage SME listings
BSE signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Government of Maharashtra to create awareness about benefits of listing among SMEs of the state.
- Through this pact, the exchange will provide intellectual and manpower support to create awareness about the benefits of listing among SMEs and will enable capacity building to such enterprises to fulfil listing requirements.
India script history at Gabba, retain Border-Gavaskar Trophy with 2-1 series win
An injury-ravaged young Indian team beat Australia by three wickets against all odds in the final Test of the series at The Gabba to take the series 2-1.
- With this victory, India has retained the Border-Gavaskar trophy.
- The historic win has broken a bunch of records including Australia’s three-decade-long streak at the Gabba. The team had not lost at the venue since 1988. Indian batsman Rishabh Pant emerged as the star of the match with 89 runs (not out) while debutant Washington Sundar aided the team toward the thrilling triumph.
Siddhartha Mohanty appointed as MD of LIC
The government has appointed KIC Housing Finance chief executive officer (CEO) Siddhartha Mohanty as the managing director of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
- Mohanty has been appointed as the managing director of LIC with effect from the date of his assumption of charge on or after February 1 and up to the date of his superannuation June 30, 2023, the order stated.
- Mohanty will replace TC Susheel Kumar who is set to retire on January 31, 2021.
Sanjeev Kumar appointed as new CMD of TCIL
The government has appointed Sanjeev Kumar as Chairman and Managing Director of Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd(TCIL) .
- Kumar has been appointed to the post for a period of five years from the date of assumption of the charge of the post, or till the age of superannuation, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- He is currently serving as Director (Technical) in Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL).
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Karnataka CM Yediyurappa launches Avalokana software
In Karnataka, Chief Minister B. S. Yediyurappa launched Avolokana software that will enable the government to access data on sanctions and expenditures incurred by 39 departments on 1,800 programmes implemented by them.
- The Avalokana software is a transparent e-governance tool that will provide Assembly constituency-wise release of Government grants and allocations under different development programmes. This will provide Government hold over resources.
- The software provides focused eye view on Sustainable Development goals, Scheduled Caste Sub-Plan, Tribal Sub-plan and Centrally Sponsored Schemes.
DRDO successfully conducts captive and release trial of SAAW
In yet another milestone, DRDO successfully conducted captive and release trial of indigenously developed Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon SAAW from Indian Hawk-Mk132 of HAL off the Odisha coast.
- This was the ninth successful mission of SAAW conducted by DRDO till now. The telemetry and tracking systems installed at Interim Test Range (ITR), Balasore captured all the mission events.
- SAAW is indigenously designed and developed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI) Hyderabad. This is 125 Kg class smart weapon, capable of engaging ground enemy airfield assets such as radars, bunkers, taxi tracks, and runways etc. up to a range of 100 kilometres.
Malayalam actor Unnikrishnan Namboothiri passes away
Veteran actor Unnikrishnan Namboothiri passed away at a private hospital in Kannur. He was 98.
- Unnikrishnan made his acting debut with Desadanam 1996. However, he became a household name among the Malayalam film audience for his performance as a witty grandfather in Kalyanaraman (2002). He had also played a pivotal role in Kamal Haasan’s hit comedy-drama, Pammal K Sambandam (2002).
Tripura observed 42nd Kokborok day with colourful events
Tripura observed the 42nd anniversary of the recognition of Kokborok dialect as an official language of the state with a series of programs and colourful events.
- Tripura chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb delivered his speech during the event. He announced that the state Cabinet has decided to rename Barmura hill range as ‘Hathai Kotor’.
- Tripura has merged with the Indian Union in 1949 but still it is far behind in the scale of development index. But after the new government came to power, it got a momentum. Similarly, Kokborok was recognised as an official language in 1979 but still it is not included in the 8th schedule.