Daily Current Affairs 22 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Amar Jawan Jyoti flame merged with flame at National War Memorial
The Amar Jawan Jyoti flame at India Gate has been merged with the flame at the National War Memorial in New Delhi. The ceremony to merge the Amar Jawan Jyoti Flame was presided over by the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff Balabhadra Radha Krishna.
- India Gate was unveiled in 1931 and it was built to honour the 70 thousand soldiers of British India who gave supreme sacrifice.
- The Amar Jawan Jyoti was set up after the 1971 Indo-Pak war. After a long wait and multiple considerations, the National War Memorial was built in the India Gate complex was inaugurated in February 2019.
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s statue to be installed at India Gate
In order to commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of the great freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and as part of the year long celebrations, the government has decided to install a grand statue of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at India Gate in New Delhi.
- The statue, made of granite, shall be a fitting tribute to the immense contribution of Netaji in the country’s freedom struggle, and would be a symbol of the country’s indebtedness to him.
- The hologram statue will be powered by a 30 thousand lumens 4K projector. An invisible, high gain, 90 per cent transparent holographic screen has been erected in such a way so that it is not visible to visitors. The 3D image of Netaji will be projected on it to create the effect of a hologram. The size of the hologram statue is 28 feet in height and 6 feet in width.
Indian Navy’s P8I Aircraft Participates In Multinational Exercise ‘Sea Dragon-22’
An Indian Navy P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft participated in multinational Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Exercise Sea Dragon-22 at Guam in the U.S. that saw the participation of Quad countries, Canada and South Korea.
- The exercise was aimed to enhance interoperability among participating nations by evolving common tactics in response to emerging traditional and non-traditional security challenges in maritime domain.
- Naval aircraft from the U.S., India, Japan, Canada, Australia and South Korea – which included P8A, P8I, P1, CP140 Aurora and P3C Orion maritime reconnaissance aircraft practised high-end ASW skills.
BANKING & FINANCE
Kotak Bank signs MoU with GIFT SEZ for boosting financial services ecosystem at IFSC
Kotak Mahindra Bank KMB signed a Memorandum of Understanding MoU with GIFT SEZ Limited GIFT SEZ for boosting financial services ecosystem at International Financial Services Centre IFSC at Gandhinagar.
- This will enable both to work together towards greater enhancement of the financial services ecosystem in GIFT IFSC for Alternative Investment Funds AIFs and Global Custody Services, a joint statement said.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Jio inks partnership with Finnish university to accelerate 6G research, standardization
Jio Platforms (JPL) has inked a strategic partnership with the University of Oulu, Finland, for undertaking research and standardization-related activities in 6G technology.
- The collaborative effort will aid in competing with 6G enabled products in the defence, automotive, white goods, industrial machinery, consumer goods, efficient manufacturing, novel personal smart device environments, and experiences such as urban computing and autonomous traffic settings.
Barbados PM Mia Mottley sworn in after 2nd consecutive elections
Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley was sworn in for a second term after her party appeared to have swept every legislative seat in the first elections the island nation held as a republic since casting off the British monarchy.
- Mottley’s Barbados Labor Party seemed to have secured all 30 seats in the House of Assembly, the lower house of the island’s Parliament, giving the island’s first female leader a second term as prime minister. A majority of 16 seats was required for a win.
- Mottley achieved the same sweep when her party won elections in 2018.
Ex-CAG Vinod Rai joins Unity Small Finance Bank as independent chairman
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the appointment of former comptroller and auditor general (CAG) of India Vinod Rai as independent chairman of Unity Small Finance Bank (Unity SFB), the newest private lender in India.
- Rai, a former chairman of Banks Board Bureau which advises the Centre on top-level appointments at public sector banks and on tackling bad loans, has also served in the ministries of finance, commerce and defence.
PM Modi emerges as ‘Most Popular Leader’ worldwide, tops with 71 percent leaving Joe Biden and others behind
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has emerged as the most popular leader worldwide.
- According to a US-based global leader approval tracker, Morning Consult Political Intelligence, Mr. Modi topped with 71 percent approval ratings among the 13 world leaders while US President, Joe Biden is ranked at number six with 43 percent rating.
- Joe Biden is followed by Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau with 43 percent and Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison at 41 percent approval ratings.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Coal Secretary launches Koyla Darpan Portal
Coal Secretary Dr. Anil Kumar Jain launched Koyla Darpan Portal to share Key Performance Indicators related to the Coal Sector.
- The portal will have the Key Performance Indicators related to Coal Production, Status of Coal Stock in Thermal Power Plants, Allocation of Blocks, Monitoring of Major Coal Mines and Coal Price.
- The portal is accessible through the website of the Ministry of Coal for maximum public outreach.
Jai Ram Thakur launches app to promote local handicrafts through tourism in Kangra
Himachal Pradesh’s Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched a new app Apna Kangra to provide a hassle-free experience for tourists and also boost the sale of local handicrafts.
- He said that the motive of this app was to empower rural women and provide job opportunities to youth.
- Along with this, it also aims at boosting hospitality services like hotels, homestays and transport to travellers.
Karnataka launches country’s biggest AVGC center of excellence in Bengaluru
The Karnataka State Government launched the AVGC center of excellence (animation, visual effects, gaming, and comics) pitching it as a pioneering high technology digital media hub. The IT/BT & Electronics department has funded the facility.
- Karnataka, which is the first in India to bring an AVGC policy in 2012, also became the first state to set up the first center of excellence in AVGC.
- This center of excellence (CoE) brings digital excellence to creative industries. India now commands around 10% of the global AVGC market and has the potential to reach 20-25% by 2027.
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launches Mobile COVID testing facility for Northeast
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched Mobile COVID testing facility for Northeast, beginning with Mizoram.
- This is the first of its kind Mobile Diagnostic Laboratory (I-LAB) capable of doing both RT-PCR and ELISA tests.
- The Lab developed with the support from the central Department of Biotechnology is meant to provide COVID testing access to rural and remote parts of North eastern region.
- The unit has bio-safety facility and is capable of performing both RT-PCR and ELISA tests and this facility can also be utilized for testing of other infectious diseases like TB, HIV and therefore will remain relevant even in post-COVID times.