Daily Current Affairs 22 July 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first public EV Charging Plaza inaugurated in Delhi
Union Power Minister R K Singh inaugurated India’s first public EV (electric vehicle) charging plaza at Chelmsford Club in New Delhi.
- The plaza has been established by EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Ltd) in collaboration with NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council).The new public EV charging plaza will host five chargers of different specifications.
- Singh also launched RAISE (Retrofit of Air-conditioning to improve Indoor air quality for Safety and Efficiency) national programme.
Sports Ministry partners with UNICEF to promote volunteerism among Indian youth
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) has partnered with UNICEF to strengthen resolve to mobilise 1 crore youth volunteers to achieve goals of Atmanirbhar Bharat
- MYAS signed a memorandum of intent was signed with YuWaah (a multi-stakeholder platform formed by the UNICEF) to work in partnership to promote volunteerism among India’s youth.
Chhattisgarh govt launches ‘Mukhyamantri Suposhan Yojana’ to combat malnutrition in state
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched Mukhyamantri Suposhan Abhiyan with an aim to tackle the menace of malnutrition and anemia.
- The CG Mukhyamantri Suposhan scheme will benefit mothers and children.
- The scheme will be implemented by the Women and child welfare department of the state.
BANKING & FINANCE
Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launches PNB’s campaign to distribute face masks & sanitizers
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Punjab National Bank’s campaign to distribute face masks and sanitizers to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in New Delhi.
- The Bank is distributing such material in 662 districts throughout the country.
ICC Men’s T20 World Cup postponed to 2022
The International Cricket Council (ICC) confirmed the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia 2020 has been postponed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The ICC also decided to postpone two other ICC Men’s events to support the current rescheduling, including Men’s T20 World Cup 2022 and World Cup 2023.
- The ICC also decided to push 2023 Cricket World Cup edition in India in February 2023, now will be moved to October-November 2023
Jon Rahm wins PGA Memorial to seize world No 1 ranking
Jon Rahm became the first Spaniard since Seve Ballesteros in 1989 to hold golf’s world number one ranking, fending off a late challenge to win the US PGA Memorial tournament.
- Rahm overcame nerves and a two-shot penalty to claim victory at the Memorial Tournament and replace Rory McIlroy.
Rahul Bajaj to step down as Bajaj Finance Chairman; Sanjiv Bajaj to succeed him
Sanjiv Bajaj will be new non-executive chairman of Bajaj Finance from August 2020.
- He will succeed Rahul Bajaj, who has been at the helm of the company since its inception in 1987 and the group for over five decades.
- Rahul Bajaj will continue to serve as a non-executive non-independent director
Karur Vysya Bank appoints Ramesh Babu Boddu as MD & CEO
Board of Karur Vysya Bank, has co-opted Ramesh Babu Boddu as an additional director and appointed him as the bank’s new MD & CEO for a period of three years from the date of taking charge.
- Boddu succeeds PR Seshadri who had resigned citing personal reasons on March 31, 2020.
- Boddu who had served as deputy managing director in the State Bank of India, had retired last April.
Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute adjudged the best research institute under ICAR
The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has been adjudged as the best research institute of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- CMFRI won the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR institutions award, the highest award of the ICAR with a cash prize of ₹10 lakh, in the category of the large institutions.
- This is in recognition of CMFRI’s excellent performance in marine fisheries research during the 2014-19 period.
Arnab Chaudhuri to be conferred with Legend of Animation award
Legendary animation director Arnab Chaudhuri has been named as the recipient of this year’s Legend of Animation award instituted by the Toonz Media Group (TMG). The award will be posthumously conferred to Arnab at the Animation Masters Summit (AMS) 2020– Digital Edition over the Zoom platform
- Arnab, who passed away on December 25, 2019, had made significant contributions to the Indian animation industry.
- He was the director of ‘Arjun the Warrior Prince‘, the only animation film from India that has been longlisted for the prestigious Academy Awards.
HDFC Bank’s Aditya Puri highest paid banker for FY20 with Rs 18.92 cr in remuneration
HDFC Bank Managing Director Aditya Puri has emerged as the highest paid banker among the top lenders for FY 2019-20, with a 38 per cent jump in salary and perquisites to Rs 18.92 crore.
- Puri, who built the bank into the largest by assets in the private sector and also the most valued one by investors over the last 25 years, earned an additional Rs 161.56 crore by exercising stock options during the year, the bank’s annual report said.
Dubai-based Indian girl Samridhi Kalia breaks world record in performing yoga poses
A Dubai-based Indian girl has broken the world record for performing 100 yoga poses within minutes in a confined space.
- This is 11-year-old Samridhi Kalia’s third world record entry and the second one in the last one month.
Creator of 1980 Olympic Mascot Viktor Chizhikov passes away
Viktor Chizhikov, the Russian illustrator behind the memorable Mishka bear mascot of the 1980 Moscow Olympics, died. He was 84.
- The children’s book illustrator came up with the cuddly bear to represent the controversial Games, boycotted by countries including the United States.
- The artist’s drawings were used in popular magazines, including “Young Naturalist”, “Twinkle”, “Funny Pictures” and “Murzilka”.
Civil rights legend Rep. John Lewis passes away
Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), the renowned civil rights leader who served as a symbol of the movement throughout his more than three decades in Congress, died at the age of 80.
- He was elected to Congress in 1986 and served 17 terms representing an Atlanta-area district.
- While in Congress, Lewis served as a physical reminder of how far the country had come on civil rights – and how much more was left to be done.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Researchers develop PROSIT app that tracks mental health by studying phone usage
The researchers of Dalhousie University have come up with a new app that can detect mental conditions like anxiety and depression based on how you use your phone.
- The app is called PROSIT and includes tracking features like exercise, sleep, call frequency, message histories and music tastes
- Also, the app will ask the users to record a 90-second audio clip to talk about their best and exciting part of the week and they will be asked to self-report their feelings on a five-point scale.