Daily Current Affairs 22 July 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Centre forms committee to strengthen MSP mechanism
Nearly eight months after the government repealed the three controversial farm Acts, it has constituted a high-powered panel under the chairmanship of former agriculture secretary Sanjay Agarwal to make the minimum support price (MSP) mechanism more effective and transparent as promised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his televised address announcing the repeal.
Karnataka, Manipur and Chandigarh top NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index 2021
Karnataka, Manipur and Chandigarh have topped in their respective categories in the third edition of NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index. The index was released today by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Suman Bery.
- While Karnataka has topped again in the ‘Major States’ category, Manipur is leading the ‘North East and Hill States’ category and Chandigarh is the top performer in the ‘Union Territories and City States’ category.
- Prepared by NITI Aayog and the Institute for Competitiveness, the India Innovation Index is a comprehensive tool for the evaluation and development of the country’s innovation ecosystem. It ranks the states and the union territories on their innovation performance to build healthy competition amongst them.
‘Govt, RBI moves help banks recover Rs 8.6-trn bad loans in last 8 fiscals’
Concrete steps taken by the government and RBI helped banks recover bad loans worth over Rs 8.6 lakh crore in the last eight financial years.
- Several factors — including prevailing macroeconomic conditions, sectoral issues, global business environment, delayed recognition of stress by banks, aggressive lending during upturns, improper risk pricing and poor credit underwriting — are attributed towards NPA build-up.
BANKING & FINANCE
Launch of WhatsApp banking service by SBI
India’s largest public sector lender, State Bank of India has launched its WhatsApp Banking services to make banking easier for its customers. Now, SBI customers can avail certain banking services using WhatsApp, which may come in handy for many as they do not have to download the app or go to the ATM anymore.
- SBI WhatsApp Banking services will be available to customers when they send a message saying ‘Hi’ on the number 919022690226. State Bank of India will also offers WhatsApp-based services to its credit card holders through the platform under the name of SBI Card WhatsApp connect.
World Bank approved $1 Billion Loan for Ayushman Health Scheme
The World Bank has approved a loan of USD one billion to provide support to India’s flagship PM Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission(PM-ABHIM).
- The loan cleared on June 28, 2022, comprises two complementary loans of USD 500 million each namely for “Transforming India’s Public Health Systems for Pandemic Preparedness Program (PHSPP)” and “India’s Enhanced Health Service Delivery Program (EHSDP)”.
Digit Insurance launches ‘pay as you drive’ add-on cover for motor insurance
Go Digit General Insurance has announced that it has launched ‘Pay as you Drive’ (PAYD) add-on feature for motor insurance Own Damage (OD) policies. This makes Digit Insurance one of India’s first insurers to introduce the add-on for its customers.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port becomes first 100 per cent Landlord Major Port of India having all berths being operated on PPP model
Jawaharlal Nehru Port has become the first 100 per cent Landlord Major Port of India having all berths being operated on PPP model.
- Expressing his views on the achievement, Ports, Shipping and Waterways Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said, this project will improve the utilization in crane and berth productivity of the terminal. He said, the total handling of JNPT will increase to 1.8 million Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (TEUs) from the present handling capacity of 1.5 million TEUs in 2020-21.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
L&T Tech: First company to directly obtain and implement 5G spectrum
The first IT company to publicly indicate interest in the government’s direct distribution of spectrum for exclusive 5G networks is L&T Technology Services. According to CEO Amit Chadha, it will acquire spectrum to set up a 5G private network and develop use cases for the technology. In addition, the engineering and research and development services company will roll out 5G solutions for parent company Larsen & Toubro globally.
Bangladesh cricketer Tamim Iqbal retires from T20 Internationals
Bangladesh ODI captain Tamim Iqbal has announced his retirement from T20 Internationals following his side’s 50-over series win against the West Indies.
Lt. Gen. (Retd.) Raj Shukla appointed member, UPSC
Lt Gen Raj Shukla (retd), who has served as Commander of the Army Training Command (ARTRAC) headquartered in Shimla, has been appointed member of the Union Public Service Commission. He retired in March.
Italy’s Prime Minister Mario Draghi resigns as crisis deepens
Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi has submitted his resignation to President Sergio Mattarella after key coalition parties withdrew their support for his government.