Daily Current Affairs 22 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, China to release commemorative stamps, metal coins to mark 70 years of diplomatic ties
India and China will jointly release commemorative stamps and noble metal coins to mark the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties as agreed to during last month’s informal summit meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Xi Jinping.
- The two sides will also hold 70 celebratory activities to demonstrate the historic connection between the two ancient civilizations of India and China as well as their growing bilateral relationship over the years.
- The two countries will also engage in cooperative projects in studying ancient maritime links between India and China through the establishment of sister-state relations between Tamil Nadu and Fujian Province.
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways releases Road Accidents in India-2018
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has released the ‘Road Accidents in India, 2018’. It is an annual publication brought out by the Transport Research Wing of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways which reports on accidents, related deaths and injuries, calendar year-wise, based on information supplied by the Police Departments of States and UTs.
- As per the Report, Road accidents in the country have increased marginally by 0.46 % during 2018 with the year seeing 4,67,044 road accidents as against 4,64,910 in 2017.
- As in 2017, the State of Tamil Nadu recorded the highest number of road accidents in 2018. Similarly as in 2017, the number of persons killed in road accident was the highest in Uttar Pradesh in 2018.
India announces visa exemption for foreigners seeking medical treatment
India has announced a slew of exemptions for foreigners seeking medical treatment in India following the implementation of liberalised medical visa policy.
- It will be applicable for obtaining indoor treatment up to 180 days for seeking admission in a hospital owing to illness.
Maternity scheme PMMVY reaches only one-third of beneficiaries
Almost 61% of beneficiaries registered under the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) between April 2018 and July 2019 (38.3 lakh out of the total 62.8 lakh enrolled) received the full amount of ₹6,000 promised under the scheme, according to an RTI reply. However, the researchers, who are development economists, assert that since the scheme failed to reach at least 49% of all mothers who would have delivered their first child (an estimated total of 123 lakh for 2017 according to the researchers), the scheme was able to benefit only 31% of its intended beneficiaries.
Government e-Marketplace signs MoU with government of NCT Delhi
The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has entered into a memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the government of National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi to facilitate buyer organisations with market-based procurement.
- The MoU will further expedite harmonisation of procurement guidelines of the two entities and integration of systems, enabling a seamless procuring experience.
Chief Minister Yediyurappa inaugurates Kalaburagi airport in north Karnataka
In a major boost to air connectivity in the state, Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa inaugurated Kalaburagi airport, which is around 14-km away from the city.
- The Kalaburagi airport will improve the connectivity of north Karnataka with the state headquarters and other commercial centres.
29th RCP meeting of Asia Pacific Customs begins in Puducherry
The 29th World Customs Organisation (WCO) Asia Pacific Regional Contact Points (RCP) meeting hosted by the Chennai Customs Zone at Puducherry began on November 18.
- The 3-day meeting, which is scheduled to end on November 20, is being discussed to facilitate customs functions, operations and services in the Asia-Pacific region.
Japan’s hosts G20 foreign ministers’ meeting
The Japanese city of Nagoya hosted a two-day meeting of G20 foreign ministers. The meeting focused on the promotion of free trade and global governance, implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (Sustainable Development Goals) and Africa’s development.
BANKING & FINANCE
NBFCs with over ₹500 cr assets size now under IBC
On the heels of putting in place a generic framework for insolvency proceedings of Systemically Important Financial Service Providers (FSP), the Centre has now specifically brought Non Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) with over ₹500 crore assets size under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) fold.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Muthoot Finance to acquire IDBI Mutual Fund for Rs 215 crore
Muthoot Finance Ltd, the largest gold loan non-banking finance company in the country, entered into a definitive agreement to acquire IDBI Asset Management Ltd and IDBI Mutual Fund Trustee Company Ltd, paving way for its entry into mutual fund asset management space.
- Upon completion of the transaction, Muthoot Finance will purchase 100 per cent equity shares of IDBI Asset Management and IDBI MF Trustee for a total consideration of Rs 215 crore.
Virat Kohli becomes first Indian to score 5000 runs as Test skipper
Virat Kohli has become the first Indian to score 5000 runs in Tests as the skipper of the side. He achieved the feat on the first day of the day-night Test against Bangladesh at the Eden Gardens.
- Before Kohli, MS Dhoni had the most number of Test runs as the skipper of the side. He had managed to register 3454 runs from 60 Tests.
Vikas Swarup takes charge as Secretary of Overseas Indian Affairs
Indian diplomat Vikas Swarup assumed charge as Secretary, Overseas Indian Affairs in the Ministry of External Affairs. Swarup, a 1986-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, who previously served as India’s High Commissioner in Canada, replaced senior diplomat Sanjiv Arora.
Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2019; TN ranks first
Government conferred the Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019 awards to top ranked states, union territories, and districts in the various categories on the occasion of World Toilet Day.
- The top ranked state – Tamil Nadu, and the top ranked district – Peddapalli (Telangana), along with the state with the maximum citizen participation – Uttar Pradesh, had also been felicitated by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, at the Swachh Bharat Diwas event commemorating the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in Ahmedabad on 2nd October, 2019.
Reliance Industries overtakes BP Plc to become world’s 6th largest oil company
Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries has overtaken BP Plc to become the sixth-largest energy company in the world. The conglomerate is now valued at $138 billion.
- PetroChina Company is Asia’s biggest oil firm in terms of market capitalisation.
World Heritage Week 2019
The World Heritage Week 2019 is being observed by the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and cultural organization 19th November, 2019 to 25th November, 2019. The objective of the celebration is to make people more aware of and also for the preservation of cultural heritage and monuments.
Quami Ekta Week (National Integration Week) 2019
Qaumi Ekta Week 2019 is being celebrating from 19th November to 25th November. It is also called National Integration Week, and commences on the birth anniversary of the Smt. Indira Gandhi, the first woman Prime Minister of India.
- The main theme of the week long programs is “Secularism, Anti-Communalism and Non-violence”.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs