Daily Current Affairs 22nd November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Digital museum opens at Maharaj Bada in Gwalior, MP
In Madhya Pradesh, a digital museum has been opened at Maharaj Bada in Gwalior for the public. The museum is developed by Gwalior Smart City and entry for the public is being made free for a few days.
- It is the first center of its kind in Gwalior and Bundelkhand area and will play a role in educating school students.
- In the Digital Museum, the architectural styles, objects, costumes, lifestyle, musical instruments, jewelry, handicrafts, cultural tradition, painting and many genres of paintings have been digitally displayed in a modern way.
30th India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol held
The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy took place from November 18-20.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the CORPAT.
- The 30th Indo-Thai CORPAT will contribute towards Indian Navy’s efforts to consolidate interoperability and forge strong bonds of friendship with the Royal Thai Navy.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB approves $50 mn loan to improve resource planning in West Bengal
The Asian Development Bank said it has approved a USD 50 million loan to improve operational efficiencies and resource planning and management in West Bengal.
- The loan will support the integration of financial and information system and the expansion of automation reforms in the operations of the state government, which are expected to strengthen the delivery of public services and create fiscal savings.
- The loan will be supplemented by a USD 350,000 technical assistance grant for capacity building, monitoring of IFMS (Integrated Financial Management System) reforms, and strengthening the integration of social and gender aspects in reform areas.
Bank Credit Rises 5.67%, Deposits Up 10.63%, RBI Data Shows
Bank credit grew by 5.67 per cent to Rs 104.04 lakh crore, while deposits increased by 10.63 per cent to Rs 143.80 lakh crore in the fortnight ended November 6, according to RBI data.
- In the fortnight ended November 8, 2019, bank credit stood at Rs 98.46 lakh crore and deposits at Rs 129.98 lakh crore.
- On a year-on-year basis, non-food bank credit growth decelerated to 5.8 per cent in September 2020 from 8.1 per cent in the same month of the previous year.
- Credit to industry recorded ‘nil’ growth in September 2020 as compared to 2.7 per cent rise in September 2019.
- Credit to agriculture and allied activities rose by 5.9 per cent during the reporting month, as against a growth of 7 per cent in the same month last year.
- Loan growth to the services sector accelerated to 9.1 per cent in September 2020 from 7.3 per cent in September 2019.
- Personal loans registered a growth of 9.2 per cent in the month compared to 16.6 per cent growth in September 2019.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
BSE StAR MF launches a direct investment portal for corporates
BSE, the leading stock exchange has launched ‘Corp Direct – A Direct Investment Portal for Corporates’, with more features which will further simplify and provide end-to-end value-based services to the asset management companies (AMCs), distributors, investors, and mutual fund industry participants.
- The StAR MF Corp Direct Portal is loaded with salient new features and is currently live for Corporates. It will soon be available for other non-individuals (HUF, Partnership Firms, Societies, etc.)
- The key features of StAR MF Corp Direct are as below – End to End Digital Web Module, Corporate Parent-Child Entity Concept, All AMCs and Schemes available under single plat form, SMS & Email Confirmation & approval process and Multiple Transactions at single click.
CAG GC Murmu Elected as External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union, Geneva
The Comptroller & Auditor General of India Girish Chandra Murmu has been elected as External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva for three years.
- Murmu will assume the position shortly by taking charge from Supreme Audit Institution of Switzerland.
- The CAG of India has been the external auditor of various international organisations. He has earlier also been on the UN Board of Auditors from 1993 to 1999 and 2014 to 2020. Presently, he is the external auditor of the World Health Organization, Geneva and Food & Agriculture Organization, Rome.
Books by 3 Indian writers feature in 2020 ‘100 Notable Books’ selected by The New York Times
Critically-acclaimed books by three Indian writers have featured among this year’s ‘100 Notable Books’ list of The New York Times that also includes former US president Barack Obama’s newly released memoir ‘A Promised Land’. Editors of The New York Times Book Review selected 100 “notable fiction, poetry and nonfiction” works from around the world.
- The prestigious list also includes the work of fiction ‘A Burning’ by India-born Megha Majumdar.
- ‘Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line’ by Deepa Anappara, who grew up in Kerala, also features on the list.
- Samanth Subramanian’s ‘A Dominant Character: The Radical Science and Restless Politics of J. B. S. Haldane’ is a nonfiction work
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ to be conferred with Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award
Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ was conferred with the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award at a virtual ceremony.
- The Vatayan award has been given to Pokhriyal for his excellent contribution to the literary works of India.
- The Vatayan International Awards are presented by the Vatayan-UK organization in London to honor poets, writers, and artists for their works in the respective fields.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India becomes 4th nation to get IMO nod for navigation satellite system
India has become the fourth country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite system recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS).
- The other three countries that have its navigation systems recognised by the IMO are the US, Russia and China.
- The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) was designed to provide accurate position information services to assist in the navigation of ships in Indian Ocean waters. The Director General of Shipping (DGS) had approached the IMO for granting recognition to the IRNSS as a component of the WWRNS, similar to the US-owned Global Position System (GPS) or Russia’s Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) – a process that took two years.
Ray Clemence, former England goalkeeper passes away
Former England, Liverpool and Tottenham goalkeeper Ray Clemence has died aged 72.
- Clemence, who won five league titles and three European Cups with Liverpool between 1967 and 1981, was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in 2005.
- He made 470 league appearances for Liverpool before joining Tottenham.During his seven-year spell at Spurs, Clemence helped the club retain the FA Cup in 1982 and clocked up 330 appearances.
World Children’s Day
World Children’s Day is observed on November 20 every year to promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide and improving children’s welfare.
- Since 1990, World Children’s Day also commemorates the anniversary of the date when the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration and the Convention on children’s rights. World Children’s Day was first celebrated in 1954.
- This year World Children’s Day theme is ‘ Investing in our future means investing in our children’.
National Newborn Week 2020
Newborn Care Week is celebrated every year in the country from 15 to 21 November.
- The aim for celebrating the week is to raise awareness about the importance of the newborn care for child survival and development.
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan chaired an event to mark National Newborn Week 2020, being observed from November 15-21 to “reinforce the importance of newborn health as a key priority area of health sector and to reiterate commitment at the highest level”.