Daily Current Affairs 22 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM inaugurates ro-ro ferry service in Gujarat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the first phase of the roll-on roll-off (ro-ro) ferry service connecting Saurashtra with south Gujarat. The first phase of the project worth Rs 650-crore connects Ghogha of Bhavnagar district in Saurashtra region to Dahej of Bharuch district in south Gujarat.
- This is the first of its kind project not only in India, but also in South-East Asia.
- In the first phase which was inaugurated by Modi, only passengers can travel, while in the second phase which will start after two months, light vehicles such as cars can be ferried. While in the third phase, heavy vehicles such as trucks can also be taken in the ferry.
- Essar Projects, the EPC arm of Ruias-led Essar Group, has constructed and designed the ‘roll-on-roll-off’ (ro-ro) terminals at both Dahej and Ghogha ports.
Govt to organise global ayurveda meet in February
The Kerala government will organize a four days International seminar and Global Ayurveda meet in Kochi in February 2018.
- The main focus of this seminar will be showcasing Kerala’s achievements in health tourism, healthcare, and Ayurveda.
North Korea, Pakistan not invited for consumer protection conference in India
India has not invited Pakistan and North Korea to attend the first global conference on consumer protection to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The two-day Regional Conference on Consumer Protection will be held on October 26-27 and will see the participation of 23 countries, besides India, which is organising the event at the request of United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Rajasthan govt passes ordinance to protect judges, babus from probe
The Vasundhara Raje government has passed an ordinance which seeks to protect both serving and former judges, magistrates and public servants in Rajasthan from being investigated for on-duty action without its prior sanction.
- The Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Ordinance, 2017, promulgated on September 7, also seeks to bar the media from reporting on accusations till the sanction to proceed with the probe is obtained.
Maruti becomes No. 1 exporter of passenger cars from India
Maruti Suzuki India has become the largest passenger cars exporter from India in the first half of the ongoing fiscal, dethroning Hyundai Motor India Ltd which has now been pushed to the fourth spot behind Volkswagen and General Motors.
State of World Population 2017 Report launched
According to ‘State of World Population 2017’ released by United Nations Fund for Population (UNFPA) Activities 27% of India’s children get married by age 18 as compared to 28% the world over.
- Among its neighbours, Bangladesh is worst off, with 59% of the married couples being under-age, followed by Nepal (37%).
- The report, notes India’s total fertility rate lower than the world average of 2.5.
- The document released by UNFPA was entitled “World Apart: Reproductive health and rights in an age of inequality”.
Scotland Created The ‘World’s First Floating Wind Farm’ In The North Sea
Scotland has finished constructing the “world’s first floating wind farm”. Also, the giant turbines have started supplying electricity to the grid and aims to power more than 20,000 homes.
India defeat Malaysia to win their 3rd Hockey Asia Cup title
India defeated Malaysia 2-1 in final of the Hockey Asia Cup in Dhaka, to win the tournament for the third time. India, who have finished as the tournament’s runners-up five times previously, have now won the joint second-most number of Asia Cup titles, alongside Pakistan. India had last won the Asia Cup back in 2007.
India shine at Balkan Boxing Championship
Indian pugilists have won eight medals, including four golds, in the third Youth International Championships Balkan Open 2017 at Sofia, Bulgaria.
Bhullar wins Macao Open
Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar lifted the Macao Open trophy for the second time in his career after closing with a three-under-par 68 to complete a stunning wire-to-wire victory.
S. Korea wins women’s doubles at Denmark Open
South Korean shuttlers Lee So Hee and Shin Seung Chan won the women’s doubles title at the Denmark Open badminton tournament.
WHO removes Robert Mugabe as Goodwill Ambassador
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced that Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe’s appointment as its Goodwill Ambassador has been cancelled. He was just recently appointed as the WHO’s Goodwill Ambassador.
- After days of scathing criticism from around the globe for naming Robert Mugabe a Goodwill Ambassador for health, WHO decided to cancel the opportunity given to him.
Filmmaker and Rani Mukerji’s father Ram Mukherjee passes away
Indian film director and screenwriter in Hindi and Bengali cinema Ram Mukherjee, father of Bollywood star Rani Mukerji has passed away.
Click here to read Current Affairs in English
Click here to read Current Affairs in Hindi
2 Thoughts to “Daily Current Affairs 22nd October, 2017”