Daily Current Affairs 22 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
ASEM to hold its 10th Asian Conference in New Delhi, the first in India
The Asian Society for Emergency Medicine (ASEM) and Society for Emergency Medicine India (SEMI) announces the 10th Asian Conference on Emergency Medicine (ACEM) in New Delhi, India from November 7th-10th, 2019.
- Witnessing its first in India, the biennial conference intends to aim at lectures, discussions and talks on affordable emergency care for all sections of the society, bridging gaps in healthcare and creating a positive impact on the society.
United Nations WFP launches ‘Feed Our Future’ cinema ad campaign
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has launched a cinema advertisement campaign ‘Feed Our Future’ to raise awareness and take steps against hunger and malnutrition in India.
- This programme held in Facebook’s Mumbai office, Maharashtra with support from UFO Moviez India Limited and Indian digital cinema distribution network.
IAF test-fires BrahMos surface-to -surface missiles successfully
The Indian Air Force (IAF) fired two BrahMos surface-to-surface missiles at Trak Island in Andaman and Nicobar islands and the mock targets were hit successfully.
India among top 10 countries in intellectual property filings
India ranked as the 7th nation in the ranking of the total (resident and abroad) IP filing activity by origin, revealed World Intellectual Property Indicators 2019, which published such data for 49 countries.
- China topped the list.
Wipro elected as DJSI World index member for 10th consecutive year
IT major Wipro Ltd has been selected as a member of the global Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) 2019 for the tenth year in succession.
- Launched in 2009, the S & P DJSI World is the gold standard for corporate sustainability. Inclusion in the index is based on rigorous analysis of a company’s performance on more than 20 primary indicators.
World’s oldest pearl ‘Abu Dhabi Pearl’ discovered on Abu Dhabi Island
The world’s oldest natural pearl named ‘Abu Dhabi Pearl’ has been discovered on an island off Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. The 8,000-year-old pearl was found during excavations at Marawah Island which also revealed the earliest architecture in the UAE.
- Archaeologists used radiocarbon dating to determine that the pearl dated back to between 5800 and 5600 BC, during the Neolithic period.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI Card launches contactless mobile phone payments facility
SBI Card announced the launch of ‘SBI Card Pay’, a feature which allows contactless payment using mobile phones at PoS terminals.
- Using SBI Card Pay, customers can make contactless payments at near field communication (NFC) enabled point of sale terminals with just one tap of their mobiles, without using the physical credit card or entering any PIN.
Anandan Gunasekaran bags two gold medals for India at the World Military Games
Para-Athlete Anandan Gunasekaran bagged two gold medals for the Indian contingent in the World Military Games here in Wuhan, China.
- He won the first gold in the disabled men’s 100m IT1 event and won another gold in the disabled men’s 400m IT1 event.
Raunak Sadhwani becomes India’s 65th Grandmaster
Raunak Sadhwani has becomes India’s 65th Grandmaster. He defeated Russian GM Alexander Motylev to become the Grandmaster at the age of 13 years, 9 months and 28 days.
Riya Bhatia wins ITF title in Nigeria
Riya Bhati has won the ITF women’s tennis tournament in Lagos, Nigeria. She defeated Slovenian player Nastja Kolar of Slovenia 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 in the summit clash of the $25,000 ITF women’s tennis tournament.
Rohit Sharma set a record of highest average in Test cricket
Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma smashed the former Australia cricketer Don Bradman’s record of highest average in Test cricket on home soil.
- He broke the 71-year-old record that was previously held by Bradman by scoring an average of 99.84.
Denis Shapovalov wins the Stockholm Open
Canadian player Denis Shapovalov has won the Stockholm Open title. He has become the first Canadian ATP singles champion since Milos Raonic won at Brisbane in January 2016
Canada’s Justin Trudeau wins re-election
Justin Trudeau has won a second term as Canada’s prime minister after the country’s federal election, losing the majority but delivering unexpectedly strong results..
“Gully Boy” & “Delhi Crime” wins at Asian Academy Creative Awards
Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt-starrer “Gully Boy” won the best film from India award in the regional finals at the Asian Academy Creative Awards ceremony.
Netflix series “Delhi Crime” has won in a number of categories at the Asian Academy Creative Awards. Delhi Crime won for Best Actress, Best Direction, Best Drama Series, Best Editing and Best Original Programme.
‘Sanju’ bags award at Australian International Movie Convention
Ranbir Kapoor and Vicky Kaushal starrer ‘Sanju’ won the highest-grossing foreign-language Award at the Australian International Movie Convention.
- The film centred on the life of actor Sanjay Dutt played by Ranbir, while Vicky essayed the role of his best friend Kamli.
Jennifer Aniston to receive People’s Icon Award 2019
‘Friends’ star Jennifer Aniston, actress-producer, is set to receive the People’s Icon Award at the 2019 People’s Choice Awards.
- The actress would be the second-ever recipient of the title. Last year, Melissa McCarthy accepted the trophy for the inaugural award.
Dhyanchand award recipient Wrestler Dadu Chougule passes away
Dadu Chougule, wrestler and recipient of Major Dhyanchand award, passed away. In 1973, Chougule had won the titles ‘Rustum-e-Hind’ and ‘Mahan Bharat Kesari’ in national-level tournaments.
Bengali daily ‘Bartaman’ editor Subha Dutta passes away
Subha Dutta, editor of one of the largest circulated Bengali dailies of West Bengal, Bartaman has passed away. She was 67.