Daily Current Affairs 22 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Chhattisgarh CM launches generic medical store scheme
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched Shree Dhanwantri Generic Medical Store Yojna through video conference. Under this scheme, he launched 84 shops in the state.
- Under this scheme 15-15 in Durg district and Janjgir-Champa district, 6-6 in Dhamtari, Korba and Raigarh, 5 in Rajnandgaon, 3-3 in Bilaspur, Kondagaon, Sukma and Bijapur, Raipur, Gaurela-Pendra-Marwahi, Two medical stores have been opened in Surajpur and Jashpur.
- Quality medicines will be available to the consumers at affordable rates from Shree Dhanwantri Generic Medical Stores. Consumers will get the benefit of minimum 50.09 percent and maximum 71 percent discount on the MRP of medicines.
Government sets up expert panel on tobacco tax policy
The government has set up an expert group led by a senior official in the health ministry to prepare a comprehensive tax policy proposal covering all tobacco products from a public health perspective.
- The nine-member panel is led by Vikas Sheel, additional secretary in the health ministry and includes representatives of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council, NITI Aayog, Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), revenue department’s Tax Research Unit, WHO country office for India, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP).
- The mandate of the group includes analyzing current tax structure of all forms of tobacco, including smokeless tobacco, and suggesting various tax rate models for consideration in the preparation of FY23 and future Union budgets.
Tamil Nadu FibreNet Corp signs agreement for BharatNet project implementation
Tamil Nadu FibreNet Corporation Ltd (TANFINET) signed the Master Service Agreement for the implementation of BharatNet Project in Tamil Nadu (two packages) with various system integrators.
- The project aims at providing 1 Gbps bandwidth connectivity to all Gram Panchayats.The project will cover Gram Panchayats through optical fibre cable with high-speed bandwidth connectivity.
- It signed the agreement with L&T (for Package C); ITI Ltd (Package D) and Third-Party Agency BECIL in the presence of Information Technology minister T Mano Thangaraj and IT Secretary Neeraj Mittal.
India ranks 79 out of 139 countries in WJP Rule of Law Index 2021
India has been ranked at 79th spot among 139 countries in the World Justice Project (WJP) Rule of Law Index 2021, the world’s leading source for original and independent data on the rule of law.
- Denmark has topped the index, followed by Norway and Finland.Venezuela, RB is the least ranked country at 139th spot.
- The index is prepared by Washington DC based World Justice Project to measure how the rule of law is experienced and perceived across the world by general public, legal practitioners and experts, in practical and everyday situations.
India Occupies Top Spot Globally in Emissions Related to Crop Burning: Report
India is ranked at the top in emissions related to crop burning, accounting for 13 per cent of total global emissions for the 2015-2020 period, according to a new report released by climate tech startup Blue Sky Analytics, which is also part of global coalition “Climate TRACE”. Blue Sky Analytics, the Indian climate tech startup founded by an IIT alumnus, also pointed towards a 12.2-per cent contribution by India to cropland fire emissions in 2020.
- The data in the report reveals new insights into recent trends in biomass fires, including emissions from forest and crop residue fires in India. For example, the data verifies the downward trend in crop fires being observed between 2016 and 2019, citing a reduction in the GHG emissions due to cropland fires by 11.39 per cent in the said period.
- However, it also points to an increase in emissions by 12.8 per cent in 2019-20, increasing India’s global contribution to 12.2 per cent.
UNCTAD awards investment panels of Costa Rica, Korea, the Netherlands for boosting healthcare
The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has awarded investment promotion agencies (IPA) from Costa Rica, the Netherlands and South Korea for supporting their respective governments to strengthen healthcare systems in the wake of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
- IPAs are government agencies meant to attract investments into a country, state, region or city.
- Also, the Mauritius Economic Development Board and the Seychelles Investment Bureau were awarded for promoting investments in the ‘blue economy’.
FATF retains Pakistan on its grey list; Turkey also added to list
Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has retained Pakistan on its Grey List.
- FATF President Marcus Pleyer announced the decision was after a three-day-long plenary session of the global terror financing watchdog in Paris.
- Three other countries – Turkey, Mali and Jordan have been added to the FATF Grey List.
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD sanctions Rs 608 crore for infrastructure projects in rural areas in Assam
NABARD has sanctioned Rs 608 crore to government of India for different infrastructure projects in rural areas in Assam.
- The infrastructure projects include 52 rural roads, 21 rural bridges, 19 flood protection projects and 32 soil conservation projects across the state under Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) – XXVII.
HDFC Bank, Mastercard, USAID and DFC launch $100 million credit facility for MSMEs in India
HDFC Bank, Mastercard, US International Development Finance Corporation (DFC), and US Agency for International Development (USAID) launched a $100 million credit facility.
- This is aimed to promote and encourage small businesses in the country to digitise, while also helping Indian businesses, particularly those that are women-owned, to recover from the economic impacts of the pandemic.
Rupifi partners with Muthoot Finance to provide instant credit to SMEs
SME lender and fintech Rupifi has partnered with non-banking financial company Muthoot Finance aims to power 15 million small and medium-sized enterprises with access to instant credit in the next few years.
- The duo started this partnership earlier this year and are now looking to scale this across different industry verticals across the country.
Bharti AXA Life Insurance signs bancassurance pact with Utkarsh Small Finance Bank
Bharti AXA Life Insurance announced its bancassurance partnership with Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Limited (USFBL) for the distribution of life insurance products through the bank’s network of branches across the country.
- With this collaboration, Bharti AXA Life’s insurance plans including protection, health, savings and investment, will be available for purchase to over 3 million customers of the bank across its more than 600 branches in 202 districts spread across 19 states and 2 union territories in the country.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Flipkart Wholesale and Rupifi partner to offer Embedded BNPL to MSMEs
The B2B marketplace of Flipkart Group, Flipkart Wholesale, has partnered with Rupifi to offer ‘Embedded Buy Now, Pay Later’ offering to MSMEs shopping on Flipkart Wholesale.
- This partnership will enable 1.5 lakh kiranas and MSME members on Flipkart Wholesale get instant and digital credit, with flexible repayment terms and transparent pricing.
Ridhima Veerendrakumar bags gold medal in 50m backstroke for group II girls in Bengaluru; breaks 7-year record of Maana Patel
Karnataka swimmer Ridhima Veerendrakumar came up with yet another record-breaking performance at the 37th Sub Junior and 47th Junior National Championships as she bagged the gold medal in 50m backstroke for group II girls, in Bengaluru.
- Shalini Dixit of Karnataka bagged the silver medal in this event while Sri Nitya Sago of Telangana took bronze medal.
- Meanwhile, Maharashtra’s Apeksha Fernandes created a new national record in the 50m breast stroke for group I girls. She timed 34.44 in the final to better her own mark set earlier in the heats where she clocked 34.57 seconds to erase the previous record of 34.06 held by Annie Jain of Gujarat created in 2019.
- A new national record was also created in the 200m IM for Group III Girls with Karnataka’s Dhinidhi Desinghu clocking 2:33.36 to erase Vania Kapoor’s record of 2:37.99 set in 2013.
Capt. Alok Mishra appointed New MD of India Ports Global
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) has appointed Captain Alok Mishra as the Managing Director of India Ports Global Limited (IPGL).
- He is currently serving as the Head of operation and transformation lead at the Gateway Terminals India Pvt Ltd (GTI), Mumbai Maharashtra.
- Alok Mishra succeeds Harjeet Kaur Joshi, CMD of Delivery Company of India Ltd (SCI), who held the additional charge as the MD of IPGL.
Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation wins Earth Guardian Award
Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation has won the Earth Guardian Award for its efforts in supporting the conservation of tigers and biodiversity.
- The award was instituted by NatWest Group India (formerly RBS India) at the 11th edition of the NatWest Group Earth Heroes Awards.
- Eight winners of the award were felicitated by secretary general of “UN Convention on International Trade in the Endangered Species of Wild Fauna & Flora”, Ivonne Higuero in a virtual ceremony.
Jailed Russian Opposition leader wins top EU human rights prize
Imprisoned Russian Opposition leader Alexei Navalny was awarded the European Union’s top human rights prize in a clear slap to President Vladimir Putin.
- In awarding the Sakharov Prize to Mr. Navalny, the European Parliament praised his “immense personal bravery.” The 45-year-old activist was poisoned with a nerve agent last year and promptly arrested upon his return to Moscow from treatment in Germany and later imprisoned.
Astronautical Society of India Confers Aryabhata Award to Secretary DDR&D and Chairman DRDO, Dr G Satheesh Reddy
Secretary DDR&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy has been conferred the prestigious Aryabhata Award by the Astronautical Society of India (ASI) for his outstanding lifetime contribution to the promotion of astronautics in India.
- Dr Reddy is a pioneer in the area of R&D of advanced avionics, navigation, and missile technologies.
- He has contributed immensely to strategic and tactical missile systems and helped the country become self-reliant in critical defence technologies.
NMDC wins two prestigious Environment Awards
National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd.(NMDC),Country’s largest iron ore producer, a CPSE under Ministry of Steel has bagged Gold Award in Environmental Sustainability category and Kumaraswamy Iron Ore Mine bagged Platinum Award in Environment Management category.
- NMDC is selected for the awards based on its contribution towards implementation of Sustainable Development Goals and Environment Management initiatives at its production projects.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Haryana Govt launches ‘Swasth Haryana’ App
Haryana Health Minister Anil Vij launched “Swasth Haryana” mobile app to provide people relief from long queues at civil hospitals.
- Through this app, patients can get themselves registered at any civil hospital and three medical colleges of the State for healthcare facilities, Vij said this during the launch of the app. The app is available on Google Play Store.
- Among the salient features of this app. are registration of patients in advance along with demographic information of patients, access to their past registration records and visit to any health institute and OPD of their choice.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“The Origin Story of India’s States” book by Venkataraghavan Subha Srinivasan
The book titled “The Origin Story of India’s States” authored by Venkataraghavan Subha Srinivasan slated to release on October 25, will present the incredible origin stories of each of India’s 28 states and eight union territories.
- The book was published by Penguin Random House India (PRHI).