Daily Current Affairs 22 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank launches WAWE Summit 2019 in Jaipur
Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched Waste Management Accelerator for Aspiring Women Entrepreneurs (WAWE) summit in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- It will be jointly organized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Institute of Waste Management (IIWM).
- This initiative stating that it will empower women and encourage entrepreneurship among youngsters. WAWE Summit 2019 is a great initiative for women who have skills in their hands and it will further empower and motivate them.
Amit Shah launches Emergency Response Support System (ERSS- Dial 112), ‘E-Beat Book’ System and ‘E-Saathi’ App
Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah launched three citizen centric services of the Chandigarh Police, in Chandigarh. The services include the Emergency Response Support System (ERSS – Dial 112), ‘E-Beat Book’ System and the ‘E-Saathi App’.
- The ‘Dial 112’ emergency response service is an initiative to strengthen proactive community policing that would end confusion amongst distress callers, who at times end up dialling 100 in fire or medical emergency cases.
- The ‘E-Beat Book’ is a web and mobile based application which will ease the collection, updation and analysis of the information related to crime and criminals in a real time.
- The ‘E-Saathi’ App would help the general public, including senior citizens, to remain in touch with the police and also give suggestions to facilitate participative community policing(‘Your Police at Your Doorstep’ initiative).
Indian Railways Secunderabad station is 1st to achieve IGBC green platinum rating
The biggest rail hub in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad, Secunderabad junction station, is the first Indian Railways station to be awarded with green ‘Platinum rating’ by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), Confederation of Indian Industries (CII).
- The green station has achieved this feat with its several energy conservation initiatives and inclusion of modern passenger amenities.
NTPC to build India’s biggest solar park in Gujarat
India’s NTPC Ltd. has planned to set up a 5 gigawatt solar park in the western state of Gujarat, which would be the biggest in the country, as the top electricity generator shifts toward cleaner energy.
- The plan is part of the NTPC’s aim to build 32 gigawatts of renewable capacity by 2032 and reduce the share of fossil fuels in its energy mix to 70% from about 96% now.
Under ‘Gaganyaan’ mission, first Indian astronaut to be sent to space by Dec 2021: ISRO chief Sivan
ISRO chief K Sivan said that the first Indian astronaut will be sent to space under the ‘Gaganyaan’ mission by December 2021 for which the work is already underway.
MDL hands over Scorpene class submarine ‘Khanderi’ to Navy
The Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) handed over the second Scorpene submarine ‘Khanderi’ to the Indian Navy, and the naval asset will soon be commissioned, the Defence Ministry said.
- The third Scorpene ‘Karanj’ at MDL was started on January 31 last year. It is currently undergoing the rigorous phase of sea trials, while the fourth Scorpene ‘Vela’ was recently launched in May and is being prepared for sea trials.
Google announces new AI research lab in India
U.S.-headquartered Google announced the setting up of a research lab in Bengaluru that will work on advancing artificial intelligence-related research with an aim to solve problems in sectors such as healthcare, agriculture and education.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI hikes loan cap to Rs 40 crore for small exporters
Aiming to boost credit supply to small exporters, the Reserve Bank enhanced the loan sanctions limit qualifying as priority sector lending by banks to Rs 40 crore per borrower. The limit was capped at Rs 25 crore per borrower earlier.
- The RBI has also decided to remove the existing criteria of ‘units having turnover of up to Rs 100 crore’ as part of the changes.
RBI announces new guidelines for ‘failed’ ATM transactions
In a big boost for customers making e-commerce payments online, banks will now have to resolve failed debit card transactions within five days, and UPI and wallet based transactions within one, as per latest guidelines on turn around time (TAT) announced by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Furthermore, the central bank has also instructed all payment operators to also resolve failed ATM, swipe machine and Aadhar Enabled Payments (AEPS) transactions within five days and IMPS transactions in one day as well.
- Failure to resolve complaint within the stipulated time would make these lenders liable to pay customers Rs.100 for every delayed day.
- A failed transaction is when an account gets debited but the payment is not registered; a pain point faced by many customers especially while transacting online.
Airtel Payments Bank launches Bharosa savings account scheme
Airtel Payments Bank has launched ‘Bharosa savings account’ which enables customers to withdraw cash, check their balance or access a mini statement of their account at over 6,50,000 Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) enabled outlets across India. These services have been designed for deepening financial inclusion in the country.
Here are five things to know about Airtel Payments Bank Bharosa savings account:
- Airtel Payments Bank has launched ‘Bharosa savings account’ which lets you open a savings account with just ₹500 minimum monthly balance.
- Along with convenient banking services, Bharosa savings account offers ₹5 lakh personal accident insurance on maintaining balance of ₹500.
- Airtel Payments Bank Bharosa Savings Account will allow you minimum one debit transaction per month.
- Customers would also be eligible for cashback, if they decide to receive government subsidies in their Bharosa account or if they make cash deposits in it.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Communications partners with Cisco
Tata Communications has partnered with Cisco to offer enterprises a secure, fully-managed, multi-channel, intelligent and cloud-based Cisco Webex Contact Center solution.
- This joint offering is an end-to-end managed solution and gives contact centre users a seamless user experience across up to 150 countries on the back of Tata Communications’ global network.
New framework for easier access to data on defaults in works
Regulators Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) are working on a framework that will allow for freer and more accurate exchange of borrower data between banks and credit rating agencies (CRAs).
Amit Panghal gets historic silver at World Boxing Championships
Indian boxer Amit Panghal’s phenomenal campaign in the men’s world championships ended with a silver medal after he went down to Olympic champion Shakhobidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan in an intense 52kg category final.
Carolina Marina lifts China Open title
Olympic gold medalist Carolina Marin defeated Taiwan’s Tai Tzu Ying 14-21, 21-17, 21-18 in the women’s badminton singles final match to lift the China Open title.
IDBI Bank appoints Samuel Joseph as Deputy Managing Director
IDBI Bank‘s Board of Directors has approved the appointment of Samuel Joseph Jebaraj as Deputy Managing Director (DMD) for a period of 3 years with effect from September 19, 2019.
- The DMD position became vacant after KP Nair superannuated in May 2019.
Madhukar Kamath elected chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations
Madhukar Kamath, chairman emeritus of DDB Mudra group and mentor of Interbrand India, has been elected chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) for 2019-20. Kamath has also been the president of Advertising Agencies Association of India.
‘Gully Boy’ becomes India’s official entry to Oscars 2020
Ranveer Singh starrer ‘Gully Boy’ has been selected as India’s official entry to the 92nd Oscar Awards, which is scheduled to take place on February 9 next year.
- The Zoya Akhtar directorial draws inspiration from the lives of Mumbai street rappers Vivian Fernandes aka Divine and Naved Shaikh aka Naezy and revolves around the underground rap movement in India.
Kerala Tourism receives three PATA Gold Awards
Kerala Tourism has won three prestigious Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold awards, including one for an ethnic food restaurant run by women at Kumarakom under its Responsible Tourism Mission.
- The two other gold awards were for an advertisement campaign of Kerala Tourism ‘Come Out and Play’ and for its website (www.keralatourism.org) respectively.
IIT Bombay top Indian institute in QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
The Indian Institute of Bombay (IIT-B) leads India’s representation in the latest QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020 with a 111-120 band ranking, up from 141-150 band last year. At 151-160 band and 171-180 band, IIT Delhi and IIT Madras formed the three best ranked Indian institutes in the latest rankings.
- The rankings covers world’s top 500 universities and explores how employable a university is.
New book to mark Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
A new book by award-winning author Paro Anand will mark the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi by looking beyond the leader and his politics and into his way of life, publishers Harper Collins Children’s Books have announced.
- Titled ‘Being Gandhi’, the book explores “not Gandhi the man or his life as a leader, but really the Gandhian way that must remain relevant to us.”
Poetry book on Air Marshal Arjan Singh released in New Delhi
A leaflet on Marshal of the Air Force and Mrs Arjan Singh Trust was released by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa and ex-IAF Chief Arup Raha
- A poetry book titled ‘Abhi Kaam Baaki Hai’ on Singh was also released on the Trust’s establishment day.
Film-maker Shyam Ramsay passes away at 67
Director Shyam Ramsay, one of the seven Ramsay brothers has passed away. He was 67. The film-maker, known for cult horror films, was suffering from pneumonia.
Former Tamil Nadu MP N Sivaprasad passes away in Chennai
Senior TDP leader and former Member of Parliament, Naramalli Sivaprasad has passed away. Actor-turned-politician, Siva Prasad had represented Chitoor parliamentary constituency twice after wining 2009 and 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Veteran actor S.K. Padmadevi passes away
Veteran actor and multi-faceted artiste S.K. Padmadevi, 95, who was part of the first Kannada talkie film that went on sets, was passed away. She was suffering from age-related illness.
Ex-PTI correspondent B R Vats, who covered 1st LS polls, passes away
Bhagat Ram Vats, a former PTI senior correspondent who travelled extensively with first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru and covered the country’s maiden Lok Sabha polls, has passed away.
Former Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali passes away
Former Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali has passed away in Saudi Arabia. He was 83.
Former Dutch football player Fernando Ricksen passes away
A former Dutch football player, Fernando Ricksen has passed away at the age of 43.
International Day of Peace
The International Day of Peace also known as World Peace Day, is a United Nations-sanctioned holiday observed annually on 21 September.
- It is dedicated to world peace, and specifically the absence of war and violence, such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone for humanitarian aid access.
- The United Nations has selected the theme “Climate Action for Peace” for the 2019 International Day of Peace.