Daily Current Affairs 22 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Narendra Modi becomes second Indian PM to win Ig Nobel Prize
In 2020, PM Modi became the second Indian Prime Minister to get the Ig Noble award for “using the COVID-19 pandemic to teach the world that politicians can have a more immediate effect on life and death than scientists can”.
- The award is shared by heads of Brazil, the UK, Mexico, Belarus, the US, Turkey, Russia, and Turkmenistan.
- The Ig Nobel Prize is a satirical or parody awards given out every year by a magazine named ‘Annals of Improbable Research’. The magazine is dedicated to scientific humour, in the form of a satirical take on the standard academic journal.
- The first was Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1998 who was given the honour for his “aggressively peaceful” detonation of a nuclear weapon.
India launches first ever cargo ferry with Maldives
The first ever Cargo Ferry Service between India and the Maldives was jointly launched opening a new chapter in connectivity initiatives in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The Cargo Ferry Vessel MCP Linz operated by the Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) will connect Tuticorin and Cochin ports in India with Kulhudhuhfushi and Male ports in the Maldives.
- The MCP Linz is a combination vessel which can carry 380 TEUs and 3000 MT on bulk cargo, and will have a turnaround time of 10-12 days for its voyages.
India extends $250 million in financial support to Maldives to overcome impact of COVID-19
India has provided financial assistance of $ 250 million to the Maldives to help it mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The grant, provided under the most favourable terms possible, was in response to the request made by President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to overcome the difficult economic situation in the Maldives.
- The financial assistance was provided through a bond sale to State Bank of India, Male which has a tenure of 10 years for repayment
India hands over two modern trains to Nepal
India has handed over two modern trains to Nepal that would run between Jaynagar in Bihar and Kurtha in Dhanusa district from mid-December, marking the beginning of the first broad-gauge railway service in the Himalayan nation.
- These trains are manufactured by Integrated Coach Factory, Chennai with modern amenities and latest AC-AC propulsion technology.
- The train operations from Kurtha to Jaynagar, covering a distance of 35-km, will benefit citizens of both the countries.
Environment Ministry launches a National Conservation Strategy for Indian One-Horned Rhino
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said India is home to the largest number of Greater One-Horned Rhinoceros in the world with population in the range of 3000 animals in Assam, West Bengal and UP.
Environment Ministry has launched a National Conservation Strategy for Indian One-Horned Rhino. The conservation initiatives for rhino has also enriched the grassland management which help in reducing the negative impacts of climate change through carbon sequestration.
Centre sanctions Rs. 108 crore under UDAN scheme for three Airports in Chhattisgarh
The Central Government has sanctioned Rs. 108 crore under UDAN scheme for upgradation of three Chhattisgarh Airports.
- Out of the total amount, Rs. 48 crore have been sanctioned for Jagdalpur, Rs. 27 crore for Ambikapur and Rs. 33 crore for Bilaspur under UDAN scheme for up-gradation and development of these Airports.
- The Airports Authority of India has planned for the investment of about 900 crore rupees to develop and expand Raipur airport which includes expansion of the terminal building.
Maharashtra’s ‘e- Peek Pahani’ app will reduce hardships of farmers
The Maharashtra government”s e- peek pahani mobile application will reduce hardships of farmers and help them get the right price and good market for their produce.
- ‘Peek pahani’ roughly translates to crop survey. In this app, farmers can upload images of their crop using the application and after verification of the same, talathis can register the details on 7/12 extract.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI starts women self-reliance programme in Assam
To accelerate SHG finance in the Bank in a mission mode, State Bank of India (SBI) started a programme by the name “Mahila Atmanirbharshil Aachani” (Women Self-Reliance programme) .
- The basic objective of the programme is to create a strong bonding with the SHG member besides extending credit linkages to the women SHGs nurtured and sponsored by NRLM, Assam for self-reliance and economic upliftment.
- SBI branches of Assam sanctioned 856 numbers of SHGs sponsored by NRLM with financial outlay of Rs. 38 crore.
SBI Life Insurance inks pact with Yes Bank to sell insurance policies
SBI Life Insurance said it has signed bancassurance agreement with Yes Bank to offer a comprehensive bouquet of life insurance solutions to the bank’s customers across the country.
- As part of the partnership, SBI Life’s diverse range of individual and group insurance solutions will be offered to the customers of Yes Bank through the bank’s branches spread across 28 states and 8 Union Territories in India.
Google Pay introduces tap-to-pay option for SBI Card users in India
India’s largest credit card issuer SBI Card announced a collaboration with Google to enable customers to use their cards on Google Pay platform.
- The payments are managed via a “secure digital token” that is attached to the smartphones so that no user has to share the card details with any vendor.
- Users will now be able to make card payments using Google Pay app on their Android smartphones in three modes — via tap-and-pay at near field communication (NFC) enabled point-of-sale terminals, by scanning Bharat QR code at the merchant as well as online payments without using the physical credit card
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s nominal GDP to grow 19 per cent in 2022: Finance Ministry
Finance ministry has estimated that India’s nominal GDP will grow by 19 per cent in nominal terms in financial year 2021-22.
- In the first quarter of this financial year, the nominal GDP contracted by 22.6 per cent to Rs 38.08 lakh crore, compared to Rs 49.18 lakh crore in the same period last year.
- The finance ministry said it is not able to submit Medium Term Expenditure Framework with rolling targets of indicative expenditure for FY22 and FY23 as mandated under the FRBM (Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management) Act because it is not possible to obtain reliable projections of GDP growth at this time due to the continuing impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the Indian economy.
HCL tech acquires Australian IT firm DWS for $115.8 million
HCL Technologies has announced the acquisition of Australian IT firm DWS Ltd for $115.8 million in a bid to further expand its digital offerings especially in Australia and New Zealand.
- The DWS Group closed FY 2020 with revenues of $ 122.9 million and has over 700 employees with operations in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Canberra.
Visa extends global partnership with IFundWomen to entrepreneurs in India
Visa has announced the launch of a grant program in India to support women entrepreneurs with its partner, IFundWomen.
- As an extension of two programs launched in the US this year, women entrepreneurs in India will now receive funding from Visa to grow and expand their business.
- Visa’s partnership with IFundWomen is designed to help women entrepreneurs secure the funding they need through a series of grants.
Novak Djokovic wins Men’s Singles event in Italian Open
In tennis, world number one Novak Djokovic won a record 36th Masters title by beating Diego Schwartzman in the Italian Open Men’s Singles event at Rome.
- In Women’s Single title, top seed Simona Halep claimed the Italian Open in Rome after second seed Karolina Pliskova retired from the final with injury when she was down 6-0, 2-1.
H D Deve Gowda takes oath as Rajya Sabha member
Former prime minister H D Deve Gowda took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Gowda, 87, was in June elected to the Rajya Sabha from Karnataka. This is the first time that the JD(S) leader has become a member of the Upper House since 1996.
Former HP minister Shyama Sharma passes away
Former Himachal Pradesh minister Shyama Sharma died at a hospital in Chandigarh. He was 70.
- She was the first woman to be elected from Nahan assembly constituency in Sirmaur district in 1977 and was inducted as a minister in the Janata Party government led by Shanta Kumar.
- She was a popular political figure known for her grit and relentless fighting spirits.
Noted Marathi actress Ashalata Wabgaonkar passes away
Noted Marathi actress and Bollywood’s veteran character artist Ashalata Wabgaonkar passed away due to Covid 19 infection at a hospital in Satara in Maharashtra. She was 79.
- The actress had also worked in several Marathi films and Bollywood movies. She has over 100 movies, plays, and series to her credit.
- She also authored a book, ‘Gard Sabhowati’.
Former Canadian PM John Turner passes away
Former Canadian Prime Minister John Turner has passed away at his residence in Toronto. He was 91.
- Turner, who spent decades in federal politics as a cabinet minister and Liberal Party leader during some of the most turbulent moments, led Canada for 79 days in 1984, the second-shortest time in office of any Prime Minister.
- During his political career, Turner held several prominent cabinet posts, then he resigned as Liberal leader in 1990 and retired from politics in 1993.
World Alzheimer’s Day
Every year, the month of September is observed as World Alzheimer’s Month and 21 September as World Alzheimer’s Day. The main aim of World Alzheimer’s Day to raise awareness and challenge the stigma that surrounds the disease.
- In 2020, the theme for World Alzheimer’s day is “Let’s talk about dementia”.