Daily Current Affairs 23 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MEA in partnership with Foreign Ministry of Thailand organize 6th Round Table of AINTT
The Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with the Foreign Ministry of Thailand has organized the 6th Round Table of ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks (AINTT) held virtually .
- The theme of the two day Round Table which was conducted through video conferencing was ‘ASEAN-India: Strengthening Partnership in the Post COVID Era’.
- The ASEAN-India Round Table comprising think tanks, policy makers, scholars, media and business representatives was established at the 7th ASEAN-India Summit in Thailand in 2009 to provide policy inputs to Governments on future direction of cooperation.
Consumer Affairs Minister says hallmarking of precious metals will be mandatory from June 1 next year
Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan has said that hallmarking of precious metals will be mandatory from 1st June next year. Mr Paswan launches the online system of Registration and Renewal of Jewellers in New Delhi.
- Now, Jewellers can apply online and submit required necessary documents and fees for obtaining a licence through this portal.
- At present, there are 921 Hallmarking Centers, located in 234 districts of the country. Mr Paswan informed that BIS is working on operationalizing the Assaying and Hallmarking centers in remaining 480 districts by June, 2021.
NHAI develops mobile App ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways across country
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a PSU under the Ministry of Road and Transport, has developed a mobile App, ‘Harit Path’ to facilitate creation of Green Highways across the country.
- The App will also be used to monitor location, growth, species details, maintenance activities, targets and achievements of each of the PSU’s field units for every plant under the Highway plantation projects.
BANKING & FINANCE
KVG Bank inks pact with SBI General Insurance
The Dharwad-headquartered Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) and SBI General Insurance Co Ltd have signed an MoU to sell general insurance products through the branches of KVGB.
- The customers of KVGB will get access to bouquet of products that can cover their health, home, motor, property through the range of solutions that the company offers.
- The bank is committed to rural development and to bring an improvement of the social fabric of rural people, apart from undertaking its usual business.
SBI partners with AddaCorner to boost real estate deals in Bengaluru
State Bank of India (SBI) unveiled an online home carnival in partnership with real-time group negotiation e-platform AddaCorner.
- The carnival will invite prospective home-buyers to virtually come together as a group and directly negotiate with empaneled real estate sellers on real-time basis.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ICICI Lombard to Acquire Bharti AXA General Insurance in All Stock Transaction
ICICI Lombard General Insurance has said it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Bharti Enterprises-promoted Bharti AXA General Insurance in all stock transaction.
- Bharti Enterprises currently owns 51 per cent stake in Bharti AXA General Insurance, while French insurer AXA has 49 per cent.
- Post demerger, Bharti AXA General Insurance will cease to be a going concern and both Bharti Enterprises and AXA will exit non-life business.
Flipkart Enters Into ‘Strategic Partnership’ With Nepal’s Sastodeal
Walmart-owned Flipkart said it has entered into a strategic partnership with Nepal’s Sastodeal, a move that will help lakhs of Flipkart sellers get access to the neighbouring country’s e-commerce market.
- Under the partnership, Sastodeal will host over 5,000 products from Flipkart marketplace sellers operating across the categories of babycare and kids, audio devices, men’s clothing, women’s ethnic wear, and sports and fitness, among others, in turn opening access to Nepalese customers.
National Sports Awards 2020 Announced
An unprecedented eight para-sports personalities will receive the National Sports Awards, including the Khel Ratna to Paralympics gold medallist Mariyappan Thangavelu, virtually on 29 August 2020.
- The awards were recommended by the Selection Committee headed by Justice (Retd.) Mukundakam Sharma (former Judge of Supreme Court of India).
- Click here to read the list of all awardees
Abhijit Paul’s ‘Am I’ wins first prize in Online Patriotic Short Film Contest
A Short film titled ‘Am I?’ directed by Abhijit Paul won the first prize and a cash award of one lakh rupees in the Online Patriotic Short Film Contest organized by the Ministry Of Information and Broadcasting along with National Film Develoment Corporation, NFDC.
- ‘Ab India Banega Bharat’ directed by Debojo Sanjiv got the second prize and a cash award of 50 thousand rupees and ’10 Rupees’ directed by Yuvraj Gokul got the third prize and a cash award of 25 thousand rupees. Eight short films have got Special Mention Certificates.
Anand Mahindra, Shantanu Narayen to receive 2020 Leadership Awards from USISPF
A top US-based India-centric business advocacy group announced to honour Mahindra group Chairman Anand Mahindra and Adobe Chairman and CEO Shantanu Narayen with its 2020 Leadership Awards in recognition of their exemplary vision towards promoting US-India bilateral ties.
- The award would be presented during the third Annual Leadership Summit, titled “US-India Week: Navigating New Challenges”.
- The week-long programme, which will include a range of strategic discussions between USISPF’s board members, which include 21 Fortune 500 CEOs, and senior government officials from both the countries.