Daily Current Affairs 23 December 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India among world’s top 3 dope violators in latest WADA report
An uptick in the number of offenders has taken India into the top-three of the world’s biggest doping violators in a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report detailing the transgressions for the year 2019. India is only behind Russia (167) and Italy (157), while Brazil (78) is at fourth and Iran (70) fifth.
- In the latest report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency, 152 (17 per cent of the world total) Anti-doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) were reported in India in 2019, leaving it third in the list with the maximum dope offenders coming from bodybuilding (57).
- Among Olympic sports, weightlifting leads the way with 25 ADRVs, followed by athletics (20) and wrestling (10). Boxing and judo reported four ADRVs each. Four cricketers were also found to have committed ADRVs in 2019.
BANKING & FINANCE
Oriental Insurance Co categorised as public shareholder in Axis Bank
Axis Bank said The Oriental Insurance Company has been categorisedl to public category from promoter category shareholder in the bank.
- As per the shareholding pattern, The Oriental Insurance Co Ltd held 0.17 per cent stake in Axis Bank as on September 30, 2021.
Central Bank of India & U GRO Capital sign co-lending agreement to disburse MSME loans
U GRO Capital, an NSE & BSE listed MSME lending fintech platform has signed a co-lending agreement with Central Bank of India.
- Under this partnership, the two entities aim to disburse upto Rs. 1000 crores to U GRO Capital‘s varied MSME segments under its programs like Pratham, Sanjeevani, Saathi, GRO MSME and Machinery financing, in next 12 months, the company said.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt’s advance tax collection rises 54% to Rs 4.60 lakh crore in FY22
The finance ministry said advance tax collection increased by 53.50 per cent to Rs 4.60 lakh crore so far this fiscal year, indicating recovery in the economy.
- Direct tax collections for 2021-22, as on December 16, show that net collections are at Rs 9.45 lakh crore compared to Rs 5.88 lakh crore over the year-ago period, representing an increase of 60.8 per cent, the ministry said in a statement.
UAE commits $100b for investment and infrastructure creation in India
The Union Minister Shri Piyush Goyal chaired an interaction with the captains of Indian industry and heads of Export Promotion Councils in Mumbai, to discuss certain opportunities for Indian businesses to expand their global footprint by leveraging the business platforms and infrastructure offered by UAE.
- UAE has committed $100 Billion for investment and infrastructure creation in India. DP World, a leading smart logistics provider owned fully by the Government of UAE, presented the market expansion opportunities it offers to Indian businesses and exporters.
- The firm is setting up India Mart Traders Market, a dedicated market for Indian businesses which would enable traders and manufacturers to trade with the UAE local market and regional market.
Kidambi Srikanth re-enters top 10, Lakshya Sen moves to 17 in bwf rankings
India’s Kidambi Srikanth has jumped four places to re-enter the world’s top 10 in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings.
- Kidambi scripted history as he became the first Indian man to win a silver medal at the BWF World Championships, with Prakash Padukone (1983), B Sai Praneeth (2019), and Lakshya Sen (2021) winning a bronze each.
- Lakshya Sen, who also secured a maiden bronze at World Championship in his debut at the event, jumped to 17th position. While B Sai Praneeth slipped two places. He is currently at the 18th spot.
- HS Prannoy jumped six places after he reached the quarterfinal in Huelva. He now sits at the 26th spot.
Loh Kean Yew beats Kidambi Srikanth to win Gold in BWF World
India’s shuttler Kidambi Srikanth scripted history as he became the first male player from the nation to win a silver medal in BWF World Championships.
- He squared off against Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew, who was also a first-time finalist. Despite leading 9-3, Srikanth lost the first game 15-21 as Loh regained composure and then dominated.
- It was the first final of the division for both nations, and Singapore becomes the fifth nation to win gold in the men’s singles at the Worlds.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Wipro to acquire cybersecurity provider Edgile for $230 million
Wipro said it will acquire Austin, Texas-headquartered Edgile for USD 230 million, a move that will strengthen the IT major’s play in the cybersecurity services space.
- The purchase consideration is USD 230 million, and the transaction is expected to be completed before March 31, 2022, subject to regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions, the filing said.
JGU wins “Digital Innovation of the Year” at the Times Higher Education Asia Awards
Jindal Global University (JGU) has won the “Digital Innovation of the Year” award at the distinguished Times Higher Education (THE) Asia Awards 2021.
- JGU was the Only Indian University to be Shortlisted for the “Digital Innovation of the Year”.
- JGU’s win at the THE Awards is a recognition of JGU’s successful digital transformation and impact over the last two years. This award is also a reflection of JGU’s commitment to ensure continued education for its students during the ongoing pandemic.
HDFC Life wins the ‘Best Governed Company Listed Segment
HDFC Life, one of India’s leading life insurance companies, has been adjudged the ‘Best Governed Company Listed Segment: Large Category’ at the 21st edition of the ICSI National Awards for Excellence in Corporate Governance.
- The award was presented by Hon’ble Union Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Cooperation, Shri Amit Shah, who graced the occasion with his presence.
- The awardees were selected through a rigorous and comprehensive six-step evaluation process that covered the evaluation of responses on various compliance and governance parameters.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
IAF deployed the first S-400 air defence system in Punjab
In a major boost to the country’s air defence capabilities, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is deploying the first squadron of the S-400 air defence missile system in the Punjab sector.
- The batteries of the first squadron would be capable of taking care of aerial threats from both Pakistan and China.
- The S-400 air defence system was contracted for by India in a deal worth around Rs 35,000 crore and five squadrons would be provided to India for tacking air threats from up to 400 km.
In a first, PB Fintech-arm launches ABDM- integrated health locker
Docprime Technologies, a wholly owned subsidiary of PB Fintech, has launched Docprime Health Locker, India’s first Health Locker integrated with Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
- Subsequently, a sandbox was created for healthcare players to test and integrate with Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
- With the Docprime health locker, users can create digital Health IDs for themselves and their family members, activate their ABDM integrated health locker where they can securely upload, store and manage all their health records electronically.
App, smart card launched for convenient bus travel :Maharashtra
Maharashtra Tourism and Environment Minister Aaditya Thackeray launched mobile application Chalo mobile application and Chalo smart cards which will facilitate digital, and advance purchase of BEST bus tickets.
- Chalo app will allow commuters to purchase bus tickets and passes through e-wallet. It will provide live bus tracking, and information on how crowded the vehicle is, along with its arrival time.
- Commuters can book tickets online and will have access to bus passes for purchase and renewal through the app and the Smart Card.
Pritzker Prize-winning architect Richard Rogers passes away
Richard Rogers, a British-Italian Pritzker Prize-winning architect of Jewish descent, passed away in his home in London at the age of 88.
- Rogers received the Pritzker Prize, also known as the Nobel Prize of Architecture, in 2007. He was also awarded the Royal Gold Medal in 1985 and the American Institute of Architect’s Gold Medal in 2019. He received the Knight Bachelor in 1991 and he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
- He was the architect of the new World Trade Center (3 World Trade Center) in New York City, United States, the Centre Pompidou in Paris, France and the Millennium Dome in London, UK.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Tusshar Kapoor announces his first book ‘Bachelor Dad’
Actor-producer Tusshar Kapoor announced his book titled ‘Bachelor Dad’, which revolves around his unconventional journey of fatherhood as a single parent.
- He has shared his journey of being a single father in the new book. The actor has shared his journey of the ‘slightly unconventional road to fatherhood’ in his debut book, Bachelor Dad. On the cover of the book, he can be seen carrying his son.