Daily Current Affairs 23 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
3-day Ports Review Meeting named ‘Chintan Baithak’ held in Gujarat
Shri Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of Ports,Shipping and Waterways (I/C) chaired three-day Ports Review Meeting named ‘Chintan Baithak’ at Dhordo, Kutch,Gujarat.
- The Chairpersons of all Major Ports of India and Senior Officials of the ministry participated in the extensive brainstorming conference to finalise the roadmap of Maritime Vision-2030.
- The Chintan Baithak includes sessions on exploring new vistas of urban transportation, effective implementation of SAROD-Ports, issues related to International Arbitrations etc.
Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma inaugurates India’s longest road arch bridge at Sohbar
Meghalaya chief minister Conrad K Sangma inaugurated India’s longest road arch bridge, the Wahrew Bridge at Sohbar in East Khasi Hills district.
- The bridge has been constructed at a cost of Rs 49.395 crore under Non Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) of the DoNER ministry.
- The bridge connects Bholaganj and Sohbar to Nongjri in East Khasi Hills, bordering Bangladesh.
WIPRO group to act as knowledge partner of Madhya Pradesh govt.
In Madhya Pradesh, WIPRO group is all set to act as knowledge partner of the State Government.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, informed that the company has taken initiative for establishment of a university in the State. For this purpose, the State Government will extend all possible support to the Foundation.
- The Wipro Group will also set up a Software Development Centre in Bhopal. The Chief Minister said, such centres will go a long way in providing more opportunities to the youth in the Information Technology sector.
Power Grid Corporation signs agreement with Himachal Electricity Board for telecom network
State-owned Power Grid Corporation has signed an agreement with Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board Ltd. (HPSEBL) in Shimla (H.P.) to improve telecom connectivity in hilly areas.
- The deal comprises the utilization of 500 Kms of OPGW Telecom network. This is in addition to the existing 350 Kms of OPGW laid on HPSEBL Extra High Voltage (EHV) lines already being used in the state to boost its connectivity.
- This total 850 Kms long telecom network will enable POWERGRID Telecom to reach remote areas of Kangra, Una, Mandi, Kullu, Bilaspur, Sirmour, Palampur, Sundernagar, Banikhet, Amb, Paonta Sahib, Nahan etc.
Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurates new 4-lane Thaltej-Shilaj-Rancharda railway overbridge in Ahmedabad
The Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the new 4-lane Thaltej-Shilaj-Rancharda railway overbridge in Ahmedabad city of Gujarat through video conferencing.The new overbridge has been built at a cost of Rs 55 crore.
- The Union Home Minister said the Railways are working to eliminate all unmanned gates, under which by 2022 there will be almost no unmanned gates in the country, which will reduce accidents.
MoU signed between Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, IIT Roorkee
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Roorkee signed an MoU in New Delhi for continuation of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways Professorial Chair focusing on research and development, teaching and training in the area of Development of Highway Infrastructure.
- This collaboration of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways with IIT-Roorkee will strengthen Research and Development activities in Road Sector and the Chair professor is expected to provide leadership in conducting and coordinating research, development and teaching in the area of Development of Highway Infrastructure.
India’s largest multi-model logistic park to come up at Virochan Nagar in Ahmedabad district of Gujarat
India’s largest multi-model logistic park will come up at Virochan Nagar near Sanand in Ahmedabad district of Gujarat.
- A Memorandum of Understanding-MoU was signed between the Gujarat Government and Adani Port and SEZ Ltd. in the presence of Chief Minister Vijay Rupani in Gandhinagar.
- The multi-model logistic park will be set up with an estimated investment of Rs 50,000 crore. It will have potential to generate direct and indirect employment for 25,000 persons. The project will be completed in phased manner in next three years.
India comes fourth in the Global Firepower defense review
For 2021, India is ranked 4 of 138 out of the countries considered for the annual GFP review.
- With 904 attack helicopters and 11 aircraft carriers, the US ranks at the top of the list. Russia is ranked 2nd and China ranked 3rd.
- The finalized Global Firepower ranking utilizes over 50 individual factors to determine a given nation’s PowerIndex score with categories ranging from military might and financials to logistical capability and geography.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm Bank ties up with Suryoday Small Finance Bank to offer fixed-deposit services
Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL), in partnership with Suryoday Small Finance Bank, is going to facilitate fixed-deposit services to its account holders.
- With a minimum investment of Rs 100, The payments bank has already been offering fixed-deposits services in alliance with IndusInd Bank.
- With this new partnership, PPBL has become the first payments bank in the country to launch the multi-partner FD service where an account holder can select the partnered bank as per their preference
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt to set up faceless digital mechanism to levy income tax penalties
After implementing faceless assessment and faceless appeal systems on income tax matters, the government has decided to set up a National Faceless Penalty Centre to have an unbiased and transparent digital faceless mechanism for imposing penalties on tax defaulters.
- The government notified the faceless penalty scheme, which will have a National Faceless Penalty Centre at the apex level.
- It will be assisted by regional centres, local penalty units and penalty review units, two officials with direct knowledge of the matter said requesting anonymity.
Future Group-Reliance Industries Deal Gets SEBI Approval
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has given its approval for the takeover deal between Kishore Biyani’s Future Group and Reliance Retail, part of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL).
- Future had entered into a Rs 24,713 crore agreement with Reliance Retail in August 2020. As part of the deal, the Future group was to sell its retail, wholesale, logistics and warehouse businesses to Reliance Retail.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Flipkart-Aditya Birla Fashion deal gets approval from CCI
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the ₹1,500-crore Flipkart-Aditya Birla Fashion deal, which was announced in October last year.
- Aditya Birla Fashion’s board had approved plans to raise Rs 1,500 crore by issuing a 7.8 per cent stake on a preferential basis to Walmart-owned Flipkart Group. After the dilution of the 7.8 per cent stake, the promoter and promoter group companies of ABFRL will hold around 55.13 per cent stake
Philanthropist Ravi Gaikwad conferred Humanitarian Activist Influencer Award
Influencers Awards 2021 presented Ravi Gaikwad with the Humanitarian Activist Influencer Award for his philanthropic work and humanitarian service which he consistently keeps on undertaking for the betterment of society.
- For his dedication to the service of humanity, Ravi Gaikwad is grabbing the limelight for winning numerous coveted awards like the Nelson Mandela World Humanitarian Award and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2020) for his social service and philanthropic work conferred to him by the Legend Dada Saheb Phalke Award Forum.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Government launches portal to collect data related to tribal migrant workers
The Tribal Affairs Minister, Arjun Munda launched the ‘ShramShakti’ portal virtually to collect data related to the tribal migrant workers and will also link them to the existing welfare schemes.
- The ‘ShramShakti’ digital portal will be successfully able to address the data gap and also empower the migrant workers, who generally move in search of income generation and employment.
- The data collected through the portal will include demographic profile, livelihood options, skill-mapping and migration pattern.
- Munda also launched a tribal training module – ShramSaathi – to ensure that the process of livelihood migration is safe and productive.
Popular Bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal passes away
Popular bhajan singer Narendra Chanchal passed away in New Delhi. He was 80.
- Chanchal was known for his religious songs and bhajans. Apart from performing at live events for a large part of his career, Chanchal’s songs like “Chalo Bulava Aaya Hai” from Avtaar and “Beshak Mandir Masjid Todo” from Bobby became immensely popular.
- He won the Filmfare Award for Best Male Singer for Bobby
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Vice President releases the book titled- ‘A textbook of Urban Planning and Geography’
The Hon’ble Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu virtually released the book titled ‘A Textbook of Urban Planning and Geography’ authored by Dr. Sameer Sharma, Director General of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs in Hyderabad.
- Highlighting the principles of accessibility, inclusivity and sustainability for good urban planning, the Vice President said that the ad-hoc approach of city planning must be replaced by a long term and forward-looking approach to create liveable cities.
‘The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics’ in India by S.Y. Quraishi
Former chief election commissioner (CEC) S Y Quraishi has come out with his book titled “The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics in India”. It has been published by HarperCollins India.
- The book evaluates India’s demographics from a religious perspective and seeks to demolish two basic myths that ‘Islam is against family planning’ and ”Muslim rate of growth” is linked to capture political power.