Daily Current Affairs 23 July 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
ISRO launched 345 foreign satellites from 34 countries on-board PSLV since 1999: Dr Jitendra Singh
The Indian Space Research Organization through its commercial arm has launched 345 foreign satellites from 34 countries on-board Polar Satellite Launch Vehicles (PSLV) since 1999. Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances and in the Prime Minister’s Office, Dr Jitendra Singh informed the Lok Sabha.
- The minister informed that 56 million US dollars and 220 million Euros of foreign Exchange has been earned by launching these foreign satellites.
Assam CM launches scheme for welfare of native weavers
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma launched ‘Swanirbhar Naari’, a scheme to empower indigenous weavers in Assam’s Guwahati.
- Under the ‘Swanirbhar Naari’ scheme, the state government will procure handloom items directly from the indigenous weavers via a web portal.
India Slips 3 Spots In Ranking For Mobile Median Speed: Ookla
India slipped three spots in the global ranking for mobile median speed while it showed improved performance on fixed broadband metrics, according to Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index.
- According to Ookla, in June 2022, India recorded 14 Mbps median mobile download speeds which was a tad lower than the 14.28 Mbps recorded in May 2022.
- This pushed country’s global ranking three notches higher, to 72nd spot in June 2022 from 75th in May 2022.
- Papua New Guinea and Gabon registered the highest growth for mobile download speeds and fixed broadband speeds respectively in June 2022.
BANKING & FINANCE
Urban Cooperative Banks 4-tier regulatory structure adopted by RBI
In order to improve the financial soundness of Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs), the RBI has decided to create a straightforward four-tiered regulatory framework. A panel of experts led by former RBI deputy governor N S Vishwanathan had presented a number of suggestions for improving UCBs. In addition to other recommendations, the committee had suggested a four-tiered regulatory structure depending on the size of the banks’ deposits and the regions in which they operated.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ADB cuts India’s GDP growth forecast to 7.2% for this fiscal
The Asian Development Bank cut its economic growth forecast for India to 7.2% for 2022-23 from 7.5% estimated in April because of higher-than-expected inflation and monetary tightening. It also lowered the GDP growth estimate for 2023-24 to 7.8% from the 8% estimated earlier.
FICCI downgrades India’s GDP growth forecast for 2022-23
India’s annual Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for the financial year 2022-23 has been downgraded by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) at 7.0% with a minimum and maximum growth estimate of 6.5% and 7.3% respectively.
Flipkart launches initiative to create supply-chain operations talent pool
Flipkart, the Indian e-commerce marketplace, has entered into an agreement with the Bihar State Skill Development Mission to help create a pool of skilled supply-chain operations talent via the Supply Chain Operations Academy (SCOA) in the state.
- The initiative will be able to provide relevant industry training and knowledge, which will further help bridge the skill gap and create employment opportunities in the rapidly expanding supply chain industry in India.
Rajarshi Gupta named as Managing Director of ONGC Videsh
The state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation’s overseas investment arm, ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL), has appointed new managing director: Rajarshi Gupta (ONGC). He takes over for Alok Gupta, who retired in June.
Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al Salem appointed Kuwait’s Prime Minister
Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah appointed Sheikh Mohammed Sabah Al Salem as a new Prime Minister.
- The appointment of a new PM comes three months after former Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Hamad Al-Sabah submitted his resignation.
Malayalam filmmaker KP Kumaran honoured with JC Daniel Award 2022
Malayalam filmmaker KP Kumaran has been honoured with Kerala’s highest film award, the JC Daniel Award. Kumaran won the award for his contribution to the Malayalam film industry. The award comprises of a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, a citation, and a plaque.