Daily Current Affairs 23 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Rajasthan Govt to Launch Indira Rasoi Yojna to ensure ‘No One Sleeps Hungry’: CM Ashok Gehlot
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot announced that his government will soon launch the Indira Rasoi Yojna for the poor to ensure that “no one sleeps hungry” in the state.
- Under this scheme, pure and nutritious food on concessional rates will be provided to the needy twice a day.
- The state government will spend Rs 100 crore every year on the Indira Rasoi Yojna (Indira Kitchen Scheme).
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020
Indian Participation at Cannes Film Festival – 2020 began with the e-inauguration of the Virtual India Pavilion by Ministry of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar.
- This year, India has sent two films for screening during the festival, namely: MaiGhat: Crime No 103/200 (Marathi) and Hellaro (Gujarati).
- The Indian Pavilion at Cannes will enable the Indian film makers and delegates to interact with the international community, and make them experience the colour, flavor and aroma of Indian cinema
BANKING & FINANCE
Yes Bank, Affordplan launch co-branded cashless card for heathcare needs
Yes Bank has partnered with fintech startup Affordplan to launch a co-branded health card to address healthcare needs.
- The co-branded healthcare card will enable families plan and manage their finances for their healthcare needs.
- Yes Bank’s wallet has also been integrated on Affordplan Swasth to enable wallet QR scan for making payments to merchant partners empaneled on the app.
Karnataka Bank launches KBL Micro Mitra for micro enterprises
Karnataka Bank has launched a new product KBL Micro Mitra, wherein financial assistance up to Rs.10 lakhs can be provided to the Micro manufacturing and service enterprises either for working capital or for investment purposes.
- The facility comes with a simplified procedure and competitive rate of interest.
UCO Bank partners with four insurers to sell their products
State-run UCO Bank tied up with four insurers to offer various insurance products to its customers through its network of branches across the country.
- The lender teamed up with SBI Life Insurance Company, the Oriental Insurance Company and Religare Health Insurance Company, Star Health and Allied Insurance Company for selling their products.
- With these new partnerships, the lender will now be offering a much wider range of insurance products.
Wrestling legend The Undertaker announces retirement from WWE
Wrestling legend and WWE superstar The Undertaker has announced his retirement from World Wrestling Entertainment.
- Earlier, the wrestler had announced in the last episode of the WWE docuseries The Last Ride about his decision to leave the ring for good. The Undertaker’s last match was against AJ Styles at WrestleMania 36
Standard Chartered appoints Gaurav Maheshwari as CFO – India
Standard Chartered Bank (India) announced the appointment of Gaurav Maheshwari as its new Chief Financial Officer effective 22 June 2020.
- He has taken over from Subhradeep Mohanty, who was elevated as CFO, Africa & Middle East (AME) region.
- In this role, Maheshwari will report to Jean Fernandes, Regional CFO, Asean and South Asia and Zarin Daruwala, India, CEO.
IFTAS appoints T. Rabi Sankar As Chairman And Dr N Rajendran As Chief Executive Officer
The Indian Financial Technology & Allied Services (IFTAS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reserve Bank of India announces the appointments of Shri. T Rabi Sankar as the Chairman and Dr N Rajendran as the CEO of the organization effective May 15, 2020, and May 27, 2020, respectively.
- Shri. T Rabi Sankar, currently serving as Executive Director, Reserve Bank of India for Payment Systems, Information Technology, Risk Management, and Fintech has taken over concurrent charge, ex officio, as the Chairman of IFTAS.
- Rajendran worked as the chief architect in the creation and implementation of Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
Nita Ambani only Indian among top global philanthropists of 2020, features alongside Oprah, Tim Cook
Reliance Foundation chairperson Nita Ambani became the only Indian to feature in Town & Country magazine’s top global philanthropists of 2020 list.
- While RIL’s Mukesh Ambani, with a net worth of $64.5 billion, recently became the only Asian tycoon among the world’s top 10 richest people, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, wife Nita was recognised by T&C among the top philanthropists “who are saving lives and our sense of hope” during the pandemic.
- Ambani features alongside prominent global individuals including as Tim Cook, Oprah Winfrey, Laurene Powell Jobs, the Lauder Family, Donatella Versace, Michael Bloombeg and Leonardo Di Caprio among others.
Economist Amartya Sen Wins 2020 German Trade Peace Prize
Nobel prize-winning economist and philosopher Amartya Sen has won the prestigious 2020 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his “decades-long work on the question “as a questions of global justice.
- Peace Prize has been awarded since 1950 and is endowed with a sum of €25,000
‘The Polar Express’ producer Steve Bing passes away
Hollywood producer Steve Bing, who financed Tom Hanks movie ‘The Polar Express’ and fathered a child with actress Liz Hurley, has died in US. He was 55.
- He famously invested over $80 million in The Polar Express – around half the Christmas animation’s budget. The 2004 movie, starring Hanks as a lead voice actor, would gross more than $300 million worldwide.
- Bing was also a prominent real estate developer, philanthropist and political donor.
Veteran Journalist And Former MP Vishwa Mohan Gupta Passes Away at 93
Former MP and veteran journalist Vishwa Bandhu Gupta died. He was 93.
- Gupta was associated with the Congress party during the 1980s and he was a Member of Parliament from April 1984 to 1990, representing the state of Delhi in the Rajya Sabha
- Gupta was Chairman and Editor-in-chief of the Tej-Bandhu group of publications. He was one of the founding members of the Press Club of India and the President of the All India Newspaper Editors Conference
Former India shooter Pournima Zanane passes away
Cancer-stricken former India shooter Pournima Zanane has passed away. She was 42.
- She had represented India at multiple ISSF World Cups, Asian Championships, Commonwealth Championships, among others.
- Zanane, who was a national record holder in 10m air rifle event, took to coaching and was honoured with the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports award by the Maharashtra government
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Legend of Suheldev’: Amish Tripathi releases new book set in 11th century India
Best-selling author and the Director of the Nehru Centre in London, Amish Tripathi, has released his new book of fiction titled ‘Legend of Suheldev: The King Who Saved India’.
- The book was published by Publishers Westland Publications Pvt Ltd.
- The book is set in 11th century India, when Mahmud of Ghazni and his Turkic army invaded the country and destroyed the Somnath temple, only to be met with a “fierce resistance” from king Suheldev.
Every year Olympic Day was celebrated on 23 June since 1948 to commemorate the birth of the modern Olympic Games on 23 June 1894 at the Sorbonne in Paris.
- On Olympic Day 2020 WHO together with IOC advocating for everyone to #BeActive in their daily routines.