Daily Current Affairs 23 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt decides to declare 2018 as National Year of Millets
The government has decided to declare 2018 as National Year of Millets to boost the cultivation of millets like ragi and jowar on a mission mode to achieve nutritional security. The push will promote cultivation of jowar, bajra, ragi.
Andhra Government launches NAIPUNYA RATHAM or World on Wheels
The Andhra Pradesh Government launched, NAIPUNYA RATHAM or World on Wheels, a multi-utility vehicle which aims to bring technology to the remote corners. It was launched at the Secretariat in Amaravathi.
- As part of the Smart village Smart Ward Programme, the Naipunya Rathaams will facilitate and look to improve digital literacy, digital skills and create an awareness on various government schemes that are underway in the new state of Andhra Pradesh.
Punjab Govt observes martyrdom day of Bhagat Singh, others as ‘Youth Empowerment Day
Punjab Government observed the martyrdom day of Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh, Shaheed Sukhdev and Shaheed Rajguru (23rd March) as ‘Youth Empowerment Day’.
- Dedicating the occasion to youth empowerment, Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh also launched a unique initiative – DAPO (Drug Abuse Prevention Officer) – to engage with government employees and citizens of Punjab in the ongoing fight against drugs.
Chandigarh becomes North India’s 1st city to install Digital Automatic Speed Gun Cameras
Chandigarh has become the 1st city in North India to install Automatic Speed Gun Cameras with digital displays for traffic management. The high-tech speed cameras are equipped with night vision technology and will record the speed of oncoming traffic, helping Chandigarh Police to issue challans to anyone driving above the city speed limits.
India to be 3rd largest tourism economy in 10 years
According to 2018 economic impact report by World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), India is expected to establish itself as the third largest travel and tourism economy by 2028 in terms of direct and total GDP.
- The WTTC report also said India will add nearly 10 million jobs in the tourism sector by 2028.
ISRO–BHEL Tie up for the Production of Space Grade Lithium-Ion Cells
ISRO has entered into a Technology Transfer Agreement (TTA) with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) to transfer the technology for the manufacture of space grade Li-Ion cells.
- This Li-ion cell Technology Transfer will enable BHEL to produce space grade Li-Ion cells which can meet the country’s space programme requirements.
Navy warship INS Ganga decommissioned in Mumbai
INS Ganga, an indigenously built frigate of the Indian Navy, was decommissioned in Mumbai, after over three decades of service. Commissioned on December 30, 1985, the ship represented a big step forward in the nation’s warship building capability.
US launches WTO challenge against China
US launched a challenge at the World Trade Organization (WTO) against China over intellectual property breaches.
- US President Donald Trump hit China with tariffs up to 60 billion Dollars of imports to retaliate against the theft of American intellectual property, ratcheting up trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.
Bank of America introduces AI chatbot Erica
Bank of America has started rolling out Erica, its chatbot that can help customers check balances, remind about bills and answer bank-related questions. The bank started testing Erica in 2017.
- Customers of the bank will be able to interact with the chatbot via voice or text and it will help them with things like scheduling a payment or listing recent transactions.
Rohtak set to host first World Series Boxing clash
The highly-competitive World Series of Boxing comes to India for the first time, with the National Boxing Academy in Rohtak set to host an explosive clash between the Indian Tigers and the Astana Arians from Kazakhastan on the starting day.
John Bolton Replaces McMaster as US National Security Adviser
President Donald Trump announced that the former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton will be the New US National Security Adviser. He would replace present National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster.
G.K. Reddy award for journalist Karan Thapar
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented the G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for journalism to senior journalist and television presenter Karan Thapar.
Bengaluru airport wins best award in regional category
The Bengaluru airport (Kempegowda international airport) won Skytrax award for being the best in India and Central Asia under the regional category at the World Airport Awards.
- The Skytrax awards is the largest passenger satisfaction assessment and prestigious among surveys measuring airport service excellence and quality.
World Meteorlogical Day: 23 March
Recognized annually on March 23, World Meteorological Day commemorates the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on this date in 1950. The day showcases the essential contribution of National Meteorological and Hydrological Services to the safety and well-being of society.
- The theme of World Meteorlogical Day in 2018 is “Weather-ready, climate-smart”.