Daily Current Affairs 23 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Priyanka Chopra works jointly with WHO to spread awareness over COVID-19
Actor Priyanka Chopra urged followers to rely on authentic sources of information about coronavirus and arranged an Instagram live with top personnel of the World Health Organization (WHO) to raise awareness about the pandemic.
- The 37-year-old actor documented her videos on Instagram stories where she expressed the importanceof only relying on authentic information about the highly contagious disease.
Singapore overtakes Hong Kong as world’s freest economy, India at 120th
Singapore overtook Hong Kong as the world’s freest economy for the first time since 1995 in the latest Heritage Foundation Index of Economic Freedom published.
- India is ranked in 120th position in the study, it has been slowly but steadily making progress. It improved its score by 1.3 points from 2019 to tally 56.5 in 2020 due to improvements in the business freedom score.
- China, India’s strategic regional rival is in 20th position in Asia-Pacific and 103rd globally.
SAARC Disaster Management Centre launches website for COVID-19
SAARC Disaster Management Centre launched a website for information related to coronavirus pandemic in the region as announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the recent video conference with SAARC leaders
- The website — http://www.covid19-sdmc.org — gives full data and updates about the evolving situation of the novel virus in the SAARC countries that include India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh.
- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, and Nepal have also joined India voluntarily in contributing to the SAARC COVID-19 Emergency Fund. Prime Minister Modi has pledged an amount of US$ 10 million as an initial contribution from India
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI to conduct variable rate Term Repos of ₹1,00000 crores
As a pre-emptive measure to tide over any frictional liquidity requirements on account of dislocations due to COVID-19, the Reserve Bank of India has decided to conduct the following fine-tuning variable rate Repo auctions for Rs 1,00,000 crores in two tranches of Rs 50000 crore on March 23 and March 24 2020.
- As a special case, Standalone Primary Dealers will be allowed to participate in these auctions along with other eligible participants.
- All other terms and conditions as applicable to term Repo auctions will remain the same.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Netflix establishes $100 mn fund for film and TV workers
Netflix Inc (NFLX.O) has established a $100 million (86.3 million pounds) fund to assist workers on film and television productions that have been shut down due to the global coronavirus outbreak.
- Hundreds of thousands of cast and crew around the world have lost work amid the crisis. That includes electricians, carpenters, drivers and other hourly workers.
India celebrates “Shaheed Diwas” on 23 March
On March 23, India celebrates Shaheed Diwas to commemorate the sacrifice made by them and acknowledge their invaluable contribution to India’s independence from the British colonial rule.
- The day, in particular, pays tribute to Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Rajguru who died on March 23 in 1931
World Meteorological Day
The United Nations’ (UN) World Meteorological Day is annually held on or around March 23 to remember the World Meteorological Organization’s establishment on that date in 1950.
- The theme for 2020 is ‘Climate and Water’, which will align with the theme of World Water Day 2020, focusing on climate change and water.