Daily Current Affairs 23 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi Inaugurates Largest-Ever Global Conference On Cyber Space
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the fifth edition of the Global Conference on Cyber Space or GCCS in New Delhi. GCCS is one of the worlds largest conferences on cyber space.The theme of the two-day conference is Cyber4All: A Secure and Inclusive Cyberspace for Sustainable Development.
India becomes second largest fish producing country in the world
Union Agriculture Minister Radhan Mohan Singh said while addressing a conference on the occasion of World Fisheries Day stated that combining the production of all types of fisheries (capture and culture), the total fish production has reached at about 11.41 million tonnes in 2016-17 and India has become the second largest fish producing country in the world.
- He said that the scheme ‘Blue Revolution’ has been launched with the outlay of Rs. 300 crore for the integrated development of the Fisheries sector in the country.
India slips in OECD ratings on exchange of tax info
According to a report released recently by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), India has slipped from a rating of ‘compliant’ to an overall rating of ‘largely compliant’ as regards its meeting international standards for exchange of tax information, according to a peer review.
TN has highest number of women entrepreneurs: Report
According to the state-wise analysis of state of women entrepreneurship in the country by Sheatwork, a knowledge hub for women entrepreneurs, Tamil Nadu has the highest number of women entrepreneurs in India, followed by Kerala and West Bengal. It also said that nearly 80 per cent of women entrepreneurs in India are self-financing their businesses, with little utilisation of the various government schemes that provide financial aid to them.
Manipur hosted 1st North East Development Summit
Manipur hosted the first ever North East Development Summit (NEDS) 2017 in Imphal from November 21-22. Primary objective of organising the festival was to showcase the existing economic potential and to attract outside investors in terms of food processing industry, bamboo industry, fisheries, real estate, etc.
International Seminar on Indian Space Programme: ‘Trends and Opportunities for Industry’
The International Seminar on Indian Space Programme: ‘Trends and Opportunities for Industry’ was inaugurated n New Delhi. The seminar is being organised by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Antrix Corporation Limited (the commercial arm of ISRO), in coordination with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- The seminar is aimed to highlight the achievements and major milestones of Indian Space Sector in recent past, and the future programs and plans.
QS University Rankings: BRICS 2018 – Jindal Global University breaks into global rankings
The interdisciplinary O.P. Jindal Global University (JGU) has been ranked among the Top 10 Private Institutions in India by QS University Rankings
- JGU became the YOUNGEST Indian University and also the FIRST and ONLY private university in Haryana to have been ranked in an international ranking.
- JGU is placed in the 251-300 rank out of 9,000 universities in the BRICS region (covering five countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa), placing it in the top 2.8 percent of the universities in the region.
BANKING & FINANCE
Andhra Bank launches scheme to push entrepreneurship
Andhra Bank has launched a new scheme for self-help groups (SHGs) to encourage entrepreneurship.
- The scheme, Pattabhi Sitaramayya — Self Business Group (PS-SBG), has been introduced to commemorate the 138th birth anniversary of its founder Bhogaraju Pattabhi Sitaramayya, and the Silver Jubilee of the SHG-Bank linkage programme in the country.
- Under the scheme, SHGs having five years of association with Andhra Bank and having successfully completed three credit rotations with good repayment record and an aptitude for entrepreneurship, will be eligible for a loan.
Bajaj Allianz’s ‘Pro-fit’ platform
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has launched ‘Pro-fit’, a platform that will act as a one-stop solution to all the health-record tracking needs of customers.
Axis Bank and Mumbai Police Launch new Campaign #MuhPeTaala
During the International Fraud Awareness week, Axis Bank in association with Mumbai Police has launched its latest campaign #MuhPeTaala to promote safe banking. The aim of campaign is to raise awareness about how to keep oneself safe from falling prey to fraudulent calls asking information such as pin code, CVV, OTP etc. #MuhPeTaala is the mantra that needs to be followed to prevent cyber banking crimes. International Fraud Awareness week 2017 held from 12 to 18 November 2017.
RBC joins the global ranks of banks deemed ‘too big to fail’
The Royal Bank of Canada is the first Canadian lender to be added to the Financial Stability Board’s list of global systemically important banks, which are deemed too big to fail.
- The FSB, which co-ordinates the work of national financial authorities and international standard-setting bodies, added RBC as it removed French bank Groupe BPCE, keeping the total number of institutions on the list at 30.
APPOINTMENTS & RECOGNITIONS
Ira Joshi appointed as Director-General of Doordarshan News
The information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry appointed Ira Joshi as the director general (DG) of Doordarshan News, a post which has been vacant ever since former DG Veena Jain retired earlier in August.
Joshi is currently serving as the director general of Press Information Bureau (PIB) in the national capital.
Shubhangi Swaroop becomes Indian Navy’s first woman pilot
In a first, a woman has been inducted as a pilot in the Indian Navy. Shubhangi Swaroop, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, will soon be flying Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft.
- Three other women cadets, Astha Segal from New Delhi, Roopa A from Puducherry and Sakthi Maya S from Kerala, also created history by becoming the country’s first women officers at the Naval Armament Inspectorate (NAI) branch of the Navy.