Daily Current Affairs 23 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Jal Shakti Minister releases short documentary film named ‘SHIKHAR SE PUKAR’
Union Minister for Jal Shakti released a short documentary film on Water Conservation named ‘SHIKHAR SE PUKAR’ in New Delhi.
- The film has been made to promote ‘Jalshakti Abhiyan’ and is based on the Journey of an IAS Officer Ravindra Kumar, who climbed Everest this year to attract the attention of people from the top of the Everest on the serious issue of Water Conservation and stopping Water Pollution.
- The film also gives a glimpse of the significance of Himalaya as the main source of water needs of India by means of the river.
‘Destination North East’ Festival opens in Varanasi
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the ‘Destination North East’ Festival in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. All 8 North East states will be present at the event along with their handicrafts, handloom, organic products and cultural troupes.
Assam government releases the new Land Policy 2019 after 30 years
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal released the new Land Policy 2019 prepared by Revenue and Disaster Management Department.
- The Land Policy was approved by Cabinet on 21st October and it has been prepared by the Revenue and Disaster Management Department after 30 years. It was last prepared in 1989.
J&K achieves highest road length under PMGSY in 2019
Jammu and Kashmir have achieved the highest road length in the country this year so far under a Centre’s rural roads’ programme with the completion of around 11,400 kilometres covering 1,838 habitations.
- The work is being carried under the centrally-sponsored Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), which is a mega flagship programme with the main objective of providing connectivity to rural areas.
AP CM launches welfare scheme for fishermen
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched YSR Matsyakara Bharosa, a welfare scheme for fishermen, on the occasion of World Fisheries Day.
- Under this, 1,32,332 fishermen in the 21-60 age group will get an enhanced monetary relief of Rs 10,000 each during the marine ban and lean period every year between April and June.
The NIA will host the first-ever counter-terrorism (CT) exercise
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will host the first-ever counter-terrorism (CT) exercise for the Quad countries in New Delhi.
- The Quad countries include the United States (US), India, Australia, and Japan.
- It aims to provide opportunities to share the best practices and to explore areas for enhanced cooperation amongst participating countries.
World’s biggest Islamic Congregation begins in Bhopal
In Madhya Pradesh, the 4-day Aalmi Tablighi Ijtima, world’s biggest Islamic Congregation began in Bhopal. More than one million people from 54 countries are expected to attend the congregation.
- It is a forum for delivering some important religious-spiritual messages to Muslims around the world.
Global Bio-India Summit begins in Delhi
Three-day Global Bio-India Summit 2019 begins in New Delhi. It will be one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders conglomerate to be held in India for the first time.
- It will bring academia, innovators, researchers, start-ups, medium and large companies together on the same platform. Over three thousand delegates from around 25 countries and over 15 states of India will participate in the mega event.
11th edition of Agro Vision inaugurated by Nitin Gadkari
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 11th edition of Agro Vision-2019, an Agricultural exhibition at Reshimbag Ground of Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- The 4-day event will comprise of national Agri exhibition workshop for farmers and seminars.
Bengaluru is India’s top-ranked city in new global inclusive prosperity index
Bengaluru emerged as India’s highest ranked city at No. 83 in a new index of the world’s 113 cities in terms of economic and social inclusivity, topped by Zurich in Switzerland.
- The first-ever Prosperity & Inclusion City Seal and Awards (PICSA) Index, released in the Basque Country capital of Bilbao in northern Spain, is designed to showcase not only the quantity of economic growth of a city but also its quality and distribution across populations.
Army dedicates Goodwill Park to Late Naib Subedar Chuni Lal
As a mark of tribute to one of the most decorated soldiers of Indian Army Late Naib Subedar Chuni Lal, an Army Goodwill Park was dedicated at his native village Bhara in Doda, Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Army Goodwill Park has a statue of the martyred soldier, beside a Children park and open Gym for the villagers.
Lieutenant Shivangi is the first-ever woman pilot for Navy
The first woman pilot, Lieutenant Shivangi, will join naval operations on completion of operational training here on December 2. She hails from Muzzafarpur, Bihar.
She was inducted into Indian Navy as SSC (Pilot) as part of 27 NOC course in Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, Kerala.
Oxford Dictionary names ‘Climate Emergency’ its 2019 Word of the Year
Oxford Dictionaries has named “climate emergency” as its 2019 Word of the Year, choosing it from an all-environmental shortlist that also included “climate action,” “climate denial,” “eco-anxiety,” “extinction” and “flight shame.
- The word is selected because it shows the increase in usage since 2018. Climate emergency defines as “a situation in which urgent action is required to reduce or halt climate change and also to avoid the possible irreversible environmental loss resulting from it.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI fast-tracks DHFL resolution, appoints advisory panel
After superseding the board of the crippled mortgage lender DHFL, the Reserve Bank constituted a three-member panel to advise its administrator to help recover nearly Rs 84,000 crore that the troubled company owes to the system.
- The RBI had used recent changes in the laws to supersede the board of DHFL, announced to resolve the issue under the provisions of the bankruptcy code and appointed R Subramaniakumar as the administrator.
- Subramaniakumar, the ex-MD of the state-run Indian Overseas Bank, will be helped by the advisory committee consisting of IDFC First Bank non-executive chairman Rajiv Lall, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance chief executive NS Kannan and the mutual funds body Amfi chief executive NS Venkatesh.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
OECD cuts global growth outlook for 2020
The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development has downgraded its global growth outlook for 2020. The OECD officials at are now predicting expansion of 2.9 percent. That’s down 0.1 percentage point from their earlier forecast in September.
- They also made an initial prediction for 2021, saying the global economy will grow 3 percent.
Elavenil Valarivan, Divyansh Panwar win gold medals at ISSF World Cup
Elavenil Valarivan and Divyansh Panwar clinching gold medals in their events to give the country its best ever single-day show in the ISSF World Cup Finals in Putian, China.
- Elavenil claimed the top honours in the women’s 10 metres air rifle competition.
- Divyansh finished on top in the men’s 10 metres air rifle competition.
India Women claim 5-0 T20I series sweep over West Indies
The Indian women’s cricket team completed a 5-0 series whitewash over the West Indies after half centuries from Veda Krishnamurthy and Jemimah Rodrigues, complemented by the bowlers’ clinical show, steered the side to a 61-run triumph in the fifth and final T20 International.
Devendra Fadnavis takes oath as CM of Maharashtra; Ajit Pawar as his deputy
Devendra Fadnavis of the BJP has taken oath as Maharashtra Chief Minister for a second time. Ajit Pawar of the NCP has also taken oath as Deputy Chief Minister.
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath to the two leaders.
Indian Naval Academy awarded President’s Colour
President Ram Nath Kovind and Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces awarded President’s Colour to Indian Naval Academy (INA), Ezhimala at Kochi, Kerala.
- The President’s Colour is the highest honour bestowed upon a military unit.
- It was awarded to INA in recognition of the yeoman service rendered by the institution in training and shaping Indian Naval officers over the last 50 years at three different locations – Goa, Kochi and Ezhimala.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella tops Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list
Microsoft’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella has occupied the top spot in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list.
- The list also includes Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga and Arista head Jayshree Ullal. Both Banga and Ullal are of Indian-origin.
- Fortune’s annual Businessperson of the Year list features 20 business leaders “who tackled audacious goals, overcame impossible odds, found creative solutions”.
Greta Thunberg awarded international children’s peace prize
Swedish teen activist Greta Thunberg was awarded an international children’s peace prize, for her work in the struggle against climate change which has resonated with schoolchildren across the world.
- Cameroonian peace activist Divina Maloum, aged 15, also received the International Children’s Peace Prize, for her fighting spirit and ‘Peaceful struggle’ against Boko Haram jihadist group.
Boy from Jaipur becomes World’s youngest Differently-Abled Patent Holder
A wheelchair-bound 17-year-old marvel child Hridayeshwar Singh Bhati from Jaipur has been selected for a national award under the outstanding creative child category by the government. The award will be presented at a function in Delhi on December 2.
Veteran actor Shaukat Kaifi passes away
Veteran actor Shaukat Kaifi has passed away. She is remembered for her roles in MS Sathyu’s Garm Hawa, Sagar Sathadi’s Bazaar and Muzaffar Ali’s Umrao Jaan.
World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease(COPD) Day
The WHO (World Health Organization) and Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) organize World COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Day on the third Wednesday of November every year. This year in 2019, it falls on 20 November.
- COPD is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It causes severe breathlessness and predisposes to exacerbations.
- This the theme is “All Together to End COPD”.