Daily Current Affairs 23 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
J&K LG Manoj Sinha e-inaugurates “Jashn-e-Zafraan”
Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha e-inaugurated the “Jashn-e-Zafraan”, Harvesting Saffron in presence of Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Kailash Choudhury.
- Lieutenant Governor said that it is due to farmer-centric policies of the government that the income of the Saffron farmers in Jammu and Kashmir has doubled in 2021, a year before the deadline.
Defence Ministry signs contract worth Rs 423 Cr with US for procurement of Arms for Indian Navy
Defence Ministry has signed a contract with the US Government under Foreign Military Sale (FMS) for procurement of MK 54 Torpedo and Expendable Chaff and Flares for the Indian Navy.
- These weapons are the outfit of P-8I Aircraft which is used for Long range Maritime Surveillance, Anti-Submarine Warfare and Anti-Surface Warfare . The ministry will spend 423 crore rupees for the Torpedos.
Textile Ministry issues notification for setting up seven PM MITRA Parks
Textiles Ministry has issued notification for setting up of seven PM MITRA Parks.
- The scheme is aimed at realising the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi of building an Aatmanirbhar Bharat and to position India strongly on the Global textiles map.
- PM MITRA is inspired by the 5F vision of Prime Minister. The ‘5F’ Formula encompasses – Farm to fibre; fibre to factory; factory to fashion; fashion to foreign. This integrated vision will help furthering the growth of textile sector in the economy.
Madhya Pradesh govt announces implementation of Mukhyamantri Ration Aapke Dwar Yojana in state from November
Madhya Pradesh government has announced the implementation of Mukhyamantri Ration Aapke Dwar Yojana in the state from next month.
- The objective of Mukhyamantri Ration Aapke Dwar Yojana is to provide ration material to Divyanga and senior citizens near their homes so that they do not need to go to the ration shop of other villages to get their monthly food.
- Meanwhile, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan informed that the state government has decided to give subsidies of more than 20 thousand crore rupees in electricity to domestic and agricultural consumers for the financial year 2021-22.
Centre to develop 400 city forests across India to increase Green Cover in Urban Areas
Centre has conceived a project to develop 400 city forest across the country to increase the green cover in urban areas, said Union minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey.
- He said one such “nagar van” (city forest) would also be developed in Jammu and Kashmir’s Ramban district.
BANKING & FINANCE
Kotak Mahindra Bank partners Pine Labs to expand point-of-sale services
Kotak Mahindra Bank has tied up with Pine Labs to expand its point-of-sale (PoS) services to more merchants, especially retailers.
- Through this tie-up, merchants in India will now be able to get the advantage of Kotak Mahindra Bank’s PoS payment solutions bundled with Pine Labs’ technology stack to help grow their business
IIFCL gets Reserve Bank’s approval to finance InVITs
State-owned India Infrastructure Finance Co. Ltd. (IIFCL) is set to finance infrastructure investment trusts (InVITs), adding a new funding avenue for infrastructure projects.
- The state agency that offers long-term financial assistance to viable infrastructure projects has received approval from the Reserve Bank of India to back InVITs and will spend about ₹4,000 crore in this segment this fiscal.
- The InVIT structure allows developers to pool their completed projects under these trusts and reduce debt servicing costs by refinancing or monetising completed projects.
ITILITE partners with ICICI Bank to offer commercial credit card for travel expenses to businesses
ITILITE, an all-in-one business travel and expense management platform, announced an exclusive tie-up with ICICI Bank to issue commercial credit cards to businesses in the country.
- With this, companies can now get an ‘ICICI Bank Central Travel Account Card (CTA card)’ and make travel bookings for employees seamlessly at a discounted rate on the ITILITE platform.
- As part of the partnership, the bank will issue the CTA card to businesses and offer them a credit period of upto 50 days, while ITILITE will offer a digital, automated, and cost-effective travel and expense management platform.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s largest green hydrogen plant to be built by GAIL
GAIL (India) Ltd will build India’s largest green hydrogen plant in the next 12-14 months, as it looks to supplement its natural gas business with carbon-free fuel.
- The company is looking at building a 10-megawatt (MW) electrolyzer capable of generating 4.5 tonnes of green hydrogen daily
Bellatrix Aerospace, Dhruva Space sign MoUs with Larsen & Toubro
Indian space technology (spacetech) startups — Bellatrix Aerospace and Dhruva Space — have each signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Larsen & Toubro Ltd. (L&T), even as they ramp up individual efforts to address the growing global demand for affordable access to space.
- The partnership with L&T will allow it to work closely with them for “building great products for the world”
- The agreements had been signed on the sidelines of the Expo 2020 occasion in Dubai.
Netherlands All-Rounder Ryan Ten Doeschate Retires From International Cricket
Netherlands all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate announced his retirement from international cricket after his side failed to qualify for the Super 12 stage of the T20 World Cup.
- The 41-year-old player has scored 1541 ODI runs at an average of 67 and 533 T20I runs at an average of 41.
FIFA Rankings: India rise one spot to 106th, Belgium hold onto top position
India rise one spot to 106th, Belgium hold onto top position. India has also moved one spot ahead to the 106th position after the Sunil Chhetri-led side won the SAFF Championship. The Blue Tigers had defeated Nepal in the summit clash.
- Brazil remain second but are breathing down the neck of Belgium, just 12 points behind. England, meanwhile, dropped two places to fifth.
- Though their lead is now under threat, Belgium remain on top despite UEFA Nations League defeats to France (3rd, 1) and Italy (4th, 1). Among the top five, only Les Bleus and Gli Azzurri have improved their positions.
Deepika Padukone becomes adidas’ brand ambassador
Adidas said it has roped in Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone to endorse the German sportswear brand globally for women sports.
- Padukone is joining Adidas powerful roster of women athletes and partners around the globe, which would strengthen its focus on democratising and diversifying sport for women.
Realme announces KL Rahul as new brand ambassador
Indian cricketer K L Rahul has been appointed as the brand ambassador by the Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Realme. He will endorse its smartphone category.
- According to the company, the partnership will further complement the brand’s attitude of setting new benchmarks, inspiring thousands of millennials across the country.
SAI appoints Arjuna Awardee Commodore PK Garg as new CEO of TOPS
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) appointed Commodore PK Garg as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) at the Mission Olympic Cell meeting.
- Garg will be assuming office on October 25, replacing Commander Rajesh Rajagopalan, who held the post from 2018 till the Tokyo Olympics.
Economist Gita Gopinath to leave IMF in January 2022
International Monetary Fund (IMF) managing director Kristalina Georgieva has announced that Gita Gopinath, the Fund’s first female chief economist and director of the research department, intends to leave in January 2022 and return to Harvard University’s economics department as planned when her public service leave ends.
- Harvard University had extended Gopinath’s leave of absence on an exceptional basis by one year, which allowed her to serve as chief economist at the IMF for three years.
Martin Scorsese and Istvan Szabo to be awarded Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award at IFFI
The Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award will be conferred on filmmakers Martin Scorsese and István Szabó at the 52nd edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) being held in Goa from November 20 to 28 in a hybrid format, officials familiar with the matter said.
- Scorsese has directed Oscar-winning movies such as Taxi Driver and Goodfellas. Szabo, a Hungarian film director, is best known for directing Mephisto, which won an Academy Award.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
TN CM Stalin launches two interactive web portals and free-to-use Tamil language software
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin has launched two web portals that use Tamil computing software to ensure micro governance, ease of doing business and develop a competitive edge for the state’s IT and ITES sectors.
- The two web portals are named e-Munnetram and IT Nanban.The e-Munnetram portal will review progress by capturing key details such as the agreement date, start date, cost estimates, project progress. The portal allows Heads of Departments to update the progress periodically.
- The two computing software programmes, Keezhadi Keyboard and Tamizhi — Tamizhinayam Unicode converter, are particularly aimed at tracking the state’s 200 major infrastructure projects, costing more than about one lakh crore.
Donald Trump to launch social media platform called Truth Social
Former US President Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a new social media network, called TRUTH Social.
- He said the platform would “stand up to the tyranny of big tech”, accusing them of silencing opposing voices in the US.
DRDO conducts successful flight test of high-speed expendable aerial target drone, Abhyas
ABHYAS – the High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) was successfully flight-tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur .
- Abhyas is designed and devloped by DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), Bengaluru.
- The current flight test is carried out as a part of developmental flight trials. The vehicle can be used as an aerial target for evaluation of various missile systems. Defence minister Rajnath Singh congratulated DRDO for the successful flight trial of Abhyas.
Former hockey international Saranjeet Singh passes away
Former hockey international Saranjeet Singh passed away. He was 59.
- The former State Bank of India hockey player who played for Coronation Club in local league, represented Hyderabad juniors and seniors in the late 70s and 80s and also played for the Indian team that toured Germany in 1983.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Actually… I Met Them: A Memoir” book by Gulzar
Legendary Indian poet-lyricist-director Gulzar has come out with his new book title “Actually… I Met Them: A Memoir”. It was published by the publishing group Penguin Random House India.
- In this book, Gulzar has shared many interesting unknown facts about legends like Kishore Kumar, Bimal Roy, Ritwik Ghatak, Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Mahasweta Devi, among others.