Daily Current Affairs 23 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre releases Rs 50,850 cr to farmers under PM-KISAN
Centre has released 50,850 crore rupees to farmers so far under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme.
- Under the Scheme, six thousand rupees per year is transferred in installments directly into the bank accounts of the farmers.
Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety held in Stockholm, Sweden
Nitin Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport & Highways represented India at the 3rd Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety in Stockholm (Sweden).
- It is organised by the World Health Organization (WHO) in association with the World Bank and minister-led delegations from more than 80 countries.
- The theme of the conference is ‘Achieving Global Goals 2030’.
- The conference adopted the “Stockholm Declaration” which calls for a new global target for road safety for 2030 and a set of innovative solutions to save lives on the world’s roads.
The 9th SCO Defence & Security EWG meeting held in Pakistan
The 9th Defence and Security Expert Working Group (EWG) meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The event which was held as part of ‘SCO Defence and Security Cooperation Plan – 2020’ was first of its kind and attended by delegates from eight countries including seven permanent members and an observer state (Belarus) of SCO.
- The participating countries besides Pakistan as a host included China, Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and India, whereas Belarus attended the meeting as the observer state
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
GSI discovers gold deposits of over 3,000 tonnes in Sonbhadra
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has discovered gold deposits to the tune of around 3,000 tonnes in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh, almost five times India’s current reserve of the yellow metal.
- Gold deposits were found in Son Pahadi and Hardi areas of the district. The deposits in Son Pahadi are estimated to be around 2,943.26 tonnes, while that at Hardi block are around 646.16 kilogram
NCAER pegs GDP growth at 4.9% in 2019-20
Think tank National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) pegged the economic growth for the current fiscal at 4.9 per cent, a tad down from 5 per cent estimated by the National Statistical Office (NSO).
- However, for 2020-21, the NCEAR expects the Indian economy to improve its growth rate to 5.6 per cent.
- Indian economy grew by 6.1 per cent in 2018-19.
Olympic hockey champion Danson-Bennett retires
Great Britain women’s field hockey captain Alex Danson-Bennett announced her retirement from the sport.
- The 34-year-old was a member of the British team that won gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics where she was the joint top-scorer.
- Danson-Bennett is Great Britain and England women’s all-time joint leading scorer with 115 goals in 306 appearances.
Army Red team lifts National Ice Hockey Championship title
In a nail-biting encounter, Indian Army Red Ice hockey team, comprising of players from the Ladakh Scouts Regiment, won the 9th National Ice Hockey Championship beating the Indo Tibetan Border Police team(ITBP) team 6-5 in a close match.
- The ‘Army BLUE’ team also put forth a noteworthy performance clinching the Bronze Medal.
Russia to host new edition of AIBA World Cup 2020
Russia will be the first country to host the new format of AIBA Team World Cup in 2020.The final is scheduled for October in the city of Nizhny Novgorod.
- The tournament will be coinciding with the 75th anniversary of the victory in World War II under the motto “Boxing for peace”.‘
USIBC appoints Vijay Advani as new Chair of Global Board
The US-India Business Council said it has appointed Vijay Advani as new Chair of its Global Board of Directors.
- Advani has taken the charge as Board Chair at a time of significant growth in US-India bilateral trade, which reached USD 160 billion in 2019.
- Prior to assuming his current role as Executive Chairman in January 2020, Advani served as the CEO of Nuveen. Earlier, he was also Co-President of Franklin Templeton Investments.
Former Indian footballer Ashok Chatterjee passes away
Former India footballer Ashoke Chatterjee passed away at a city hospital He was 78.
- Chatterjee, who made 30 appearances for the senior national team, made his international debut when he came on as a second-half substitute for PK Banerjee against Japan in the Merdeka Cup in 1965.
- He scored 10 goals for India, including a brace against Japan in their 3-0 win at the group league stage in 1966 Merdeka Cup.