Daily Current Affairs 23rd June 2017
RBI amends Banking Ombudsman Scheme
The Reserve Bank of India has widened the scope of its Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006, to include, inter alia, deficiencies arising out of sale of insurance/ mutual fund/ other third party investment products by banks. Under the amended Scheme, a customer would also be able to lodge a complaint against the bank for its non-adherence to RBI instructions with regard to Mobile Banking/ Electronic Banking services in India.
- The pecuniary jurisdiction of the Banking Ombudsman to pass an Award has been increased from existing rupees one million to rupees two million (Rs 20 lakh).
- The amended Scheme shall come into force from July 1, 2017.
ADB okays $102 mn loan to skill 2 lakh youths in Odisha
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 102 million (Rs 568.31 crore) loan to train 2 lakh youngsters in Odisha.
- With this assistance, youths in the age group of 15-34 years will be given skill development training to make them competent to get better work and higher paying jobs.
ISRO successfully launches PSLV-C38 for ‘earth observation’
The Indian Space Research Organisation ( ISRO) on Friday successfully launched Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C38) for earth observation from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. Total 31 satellites were launched.
- The PSLV-C38, is carrying 712 kg Cartosat-2 series satellite for earth observation and 30 co-passenger nano satellites, weighing about 243 kg, the total weight of all these satellites carried by the PSLV-C38 is about 955 kg. The co-passenger nano satellites belong from 14 different nations.
Centre announces inclusion of 30 more cities under ‘Smart City’ project
Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu on Friday announced the addition of 30 new cities in the round 3 under the Government of India’s ‘Smart City’ project, with the total number of cities under the umbrella project reaching 90 so far. Kerala capital Thiruvanathapuram topped the list, Chhattisgarh’s new capital Naya Raipur came second.
- These cities have proposed to invest Rs 57,393 crore under respective smart city plans. With this, the total number of such cities have gone up to 90 with a total investment of Rs 1,91,155 crore. 20 cities will contest for remaining 10 slots under the mission.
GST registrations for ecommerce, new companies to begin on June 25
Ecommerce operators and TDS deductors will be able to register with GST Network beginning June 25, when the portal re-opens for fresh registration.
- Also, existing excise, service tax and VAT assessees will get another chance to migrate to the GSTN portal as registration for them too opens on Sunday next and will remain open for three months.
Pakistan becomes full signatory of ‘Washington Accord’
Pakistan on Wednesday became a full signatory of the Washington Accord that facilitates mobility of engineering graduates and professionals at the international level.
- The Accord has grown from a initial group of six signatories in 1989 to 19 signatories in 2017. At present, the Washington Accord member countries include Australia, Canada, Taiwan, Pakistan, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Indian mission in Hungary hosts 3-day “Ganga-Danube: Cultural Festival of India”
The Embassy of India is hosting a three-day second edition of the “Ganga-Danube: Cultural Festival of India” and Third International Day of Yoga in 15 cities of Hungary from June 23 to June 25.
The world’s population will hit 9.8 billion by 2050: UN
As per the World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision report of the UN, world’s total population is expected to hit 9.8 billion by 2050 despite universal lower fertility rates. The world population is now at least 7.6 billion, up from 7.4 billion last year, spurred by the relatively high levels of fertility in developing countries.
Older than 60, younger than 8 to get 10 percent rebate in passport fee
The External Affairs Ministry on Friday announced ten percent rebate on passport fee for applicants who are either older than 60 years or younger than eight years. Also passports would now be in both Hindi and English, instead of just English.
A commemorative postage stamp released on completion of 50 years of Passport Act, 1967
The Minister said that in order to extend passport services to our citizens on a larger scale and to ensure wider area coverage, the Ministry of External Affairs and the Department of Posts (DOP) have agreed to utilize the Head Post Offices in the country as Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) for delivering passport related services to the citizens of our country.
- It has been decided to set up 235 POPSK in two phases – 86 in Phase-I and 149 in Phase-II. 52 POPSK of Phase-I have been operationalized.
ONGC-Unesco join hands to get Chilika Lake heritage label
A joint team of the ONGC and Unesco has carried out a preliminary survey for the conservation of Chilika Lake to help the country’s largest coastal lagoon secure the world heritage site tag. It is located in Odisha.
Azim Premji among nine recipients of the 2017 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy
Wipro Chairman Azim Premji is among the nine recipients of this year’s Carnegie Medal, considered the most prestigious prize in Philanthropy, for his efforts to reform India’s public school system.
Facebook launches Online Civil Courage Initiative (OCCI)
Facebook launched Online Civil Courage Initiative (OCCI) in Britain to counter the spread of online extremism following warnings from Prime Minister Theresa May after four terror attacks in three months. There are already OCCI schemes in France and Germany.
Shri Piyush Goyal launches POSOCO-IMD Weather Portal for Power Sector & Web Portal ‘MERIT’
Shri Piyush Goyal Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal , New & Renewable Energy and Mines launched Weather Portal for Power Sector in association with POSOCO and IMD at the meeting of the Forum of Regulators.
- During the meeting Shri Goyal launched another portal ‘MERIT’ (Merit Order Despatch of Electricity for Rejuvenation of Income and Transparency). This has been developed by Ministry of Power in association with POSOCO and Central Electricity Authority.
Andhra Pradesh topped the list for implementing urban reforms during 2016-17
The Ministry of Urban Development disbursed Rs.500 cr as incentive to 16 States that performed well in implementing urban reforms during 2016-17.
- Andhra Pradesh topped the list scoring 96.06% marks.
Government launches VAJRA scheme to attract Indian scientists abroad
Department of Science and Technology (DST) on Thursday launched a scheme named ‘Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty’ (VAJRA) to bring together the Indian scientists abroad and India-based researchers for conducting joint researches in India. Minister of Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan launched the Web portal of VAJRA in New Delhi.
Odisha Govt Approved 53 Projects Under AMRUT Scheme
Odisha State Government has approved 53 urban projects with at a total expense of Rs 538 crore under the Central government’s ambitious scheme ‘Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation AMRUT Scheme’ in nine cities. The scheme is being implemented here with fund sharing pattern of 50:50 between the Centre and state government.
BCCI to get $405 million for an eight-year rights cycle by ICC
The BCCI and ICC have finally reached an agreement over revenue sharing, that will give the Indian cricket board $405 million for an eight-year rights cycle. The ICC Board – part of the ongoing Full Council in London – unanimously adopted the new financial model that will see an increase in the BCCI’s revenue share by $112 million.
- The previous ICC Board meeting in Dubai in April had allocated $293 million to the BCCI by a 9-1 voting margin of the Full Members.
Indians working on world’s biggest telescope to observe Universe
India is collaborating with the US, Japan, and other countries for the world’s biggest telescope project the Thirty Metre Telescope (TMT) project. India would spend Rs 1,300-crore on it.
- The ambitious next-generation TMT is to be built at an estimated cost of USD 1.47 billion by an international consortium consisting of institutions from India, the United States, Canada, Japan and China.
- India is a 10 per cent partner in this global project. On the Indian side, the project is being handled by the Ministry of Science and Technology and the Department of Atomic Energy. The gigantic telescope is scheduled to be ready by 2020.
Leading Sri Lankan economist Saman Kelegama passed away
International Widows’ Day: 23 June
International Widows Day is a United Nations ratified day of action to address the “poverty and injustice faced by millions of widows and their dependents in many countries”. The day takes place annually on 23 June.
United Nations Public Service Day: 23 June
The UN Public Service Day celebrates the value and virtue of public service to the community; highlights the contribution of public service in the development process; recognizes the work of public servants, and encourages young people to pursue careers in the public sector.