Daily Current Affairs 24 & 25 May 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s KHUDOL declared one of Top 10 Global Initiatives to fight COVID-19 by UN
The United Nations listed the KHUDOL initiative of Manipur as one of the top 10 global initiatives to fight against COVID-19.
- KHUDOL is an initiative of a NGO called Ya_All. Under the initiative, the NGO provides food, hygiene and health of LGBTQ community, daily wage workers, people with AIDS. The organization mobilized network of 100 volunteers. Through the volunteers the organization distributed 1000 health kits, 1500 condoms and 6500 sanitary pads.
Mizoram Cabinet grants “Industry” status to “Sports”
The Mizoram Cabinet has granted “industry” status to “sports”. This step has been taken to invest more in sports in order to generate employment and increase value. Granting industry status to sports is expected to help the state in meeting the requirements of sports persons and others involved in the sector.
Andhra Pradesh launches ‘ReStart’ to revive MSME sector
AP Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched a new programme christened ‘ReStart’ to support the MSME sector in the State.
- The programme is expected to benefit 98,000 units that provide employment to more than 10 lakh people. The government will spend Rs1,100 crore on revival of the sector.
- The initiative is aimed at putting the MSMEs back on track.
High-level panel formed to recommend reforms in India’s drug regulatory system
A high-level committee of experts has been formed by the government to recommend reforms in India’s drug regulatory system so that approval processes can be fast-tracked.
- The committee is chaired by Rajesh Bhushan, the OSD to the Union health minister.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank introduces special FD scheme for senior citizens with higher interest
The Private sector ICICI bank has introduced a special fixed deposit (FD) scheme for senior citizens called ‘ICICI Bank Golden Years FD’ which offers an interest rate of 6.55% per annum(p.a) for deposits up to Rs 2 crores with a tenure of more than 5 years(5 years and 1 day ) to 10 years. It is applicable for resident Indians & is available from May 20 to September 30, 2020.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Maruti Suzuki ties up with Cholamandalam Investment & Finance; launches ‘Buy-Now-Pay-Later Offer’
The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India announced partnership with Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd to provide customised auto retail financing solutions to retail buyers.
- The new solution ‘Buy-Now-Pay-Later Offer’ is aimed to provide customers with easy financing options.
Spanish footballer Aritz Aduriz announces retirement
Athletic Bilbao striker Aritz Aduriz from Spain has announced his retirement from football.
- The 39-year-old revealed in a social media post that he has made the decision after doctors advised him to have hip replacement surgery.
Naomi Osaka becomes world’s highest-paid female athlete
Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka has become the highest paid female athlete in the world, topping American great Serena Williams.
- According to the Forbes magazine, Osaka earned $37.4 million in the last 12 months from prize money and endorsements, $1.4 million more than Williams, setting an all-time earnings record for a female athlete in a single year.
Jahnabi Phookan appointed as National President of FICCI FLO
Jahnabi Phookan has been appointed as National President of FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO), the oldest women-led and -focused business chamber of Southeast Asia and the women’s wing of the apex chamber Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- She took over from outgoing National President Harjinder Kaur Talwar. Phookan is the 37th National President of FICCI FLO.
Hockey icon Balbir Singh Sr passes away
Three-time Olympic gold medal-winning hockey legend Balbir Singh Sr has passed away after battling multiple health issues for over two weeks. The iconic player was 95.
- One of the country’s greatest athletes, Balbir Sr was the only Indian among 16 legends chosen by the International Olympic Committee across modern Olympic history.
Eminent pulmonologist Dr JN Pande dies of coronavirus in Delhi
Dr Jitendra Nath Pande, an eminent pulmonologist and former head of the Department of Medicine at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi, who had tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week, has passed away. He was 79.
Four-time Grand Slam singles champion Ashley Cooper passes away
Australia’s Ashley Cooper, who won four Grand Slam singles titles including the Australian, Wimbledon and U.S. championships in 1958, has passed away. He was 83.