Daily Current Affairs 24 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government launches ‘Open API Service’ in Aarogya Setu app
The Government has introduced ‘Open API Service’, a novel feature to help the people, businesses and the economy to return to normalcy.
- The Open API Service of Aarogya Setu, can be availed by organisations and business entities, who are registered in India with more than 50 employees, and they can use the Open API Service to query the Aarogya Setu Application in real-time and get the health status of their employees or any other Aarogya Setu User, who have provided their consent for sharing their health status with the organization.
India’s longest river ropeway connecting Guwahati and North Guwahati over Brahmaputra river inaugurated
In Assam, the longest river ropeway of the country is inaugurated by Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and Guwahati Development Department Minister Siddhartha Bhattacharya.
- The 1.8- kilometre long ropeway service connecting Guwahati and North Guwahati. The ropeway has been operated from Kachari Ghat in Guwahati to Dol Govinda temple in North Guwahati.
- The ropeway has been built as per state-of -the-art technology following relevant norms. The opening of ropeway service would reduce the travel time between Guwahati and North Guwahati as well as boost the tourism sector.
Arjun Munda e-inaugurates “Tribes India Showroom” in Mumbai
“Tribes India Showroom” has been e-inaugurated by the Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda. The showroom has been inaugurated in Indian Globe Chambers of LIC Western Zonal Office, Fort, Mumbai.
- “Tribes India Showroom” is an initiative of TRIFED, Ministry of Tribal Affairs to promote the livelihood of the tribal people marketing.
- “Tribes India on Wheels” is also launched by TRIFED to boost the sales and enhance tribal income in these challenging times.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBL Bank partners Accenture to accelerate its Digital Journey
Private lender, RBL Bank has selected Accenture to enhance it’s IT systems and processes to support its objective of becoming a truly digital bank.
- Accenture will provide managed services enabling RBL Bank to modernize and consolidate its large and disparate environment and help in streamlining and automate key business processes like finance and compliance, human resources and sales.
Axis Bank launches hiring initiative ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’, to hire up to 1,000 in a year
Axis Bank has plans to employ nearly 1,000 people under its new hiring initiative ‘Gig-a-Opportunities’, a model devised to attract skilled talent that can work with the bank remotely, from anywhere in the country.
- This hiring model comprises two working patterns, first is full-time permanent job and the second is based on the duration of a project.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
CCI approves Siemens’ acquisition of C&S Electric
Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) said it approved the proposed acquisition of C&S Electric by Siemens.
- As per a statement issued by Siemens in January, it had inked an agreement to acquire 99 per cent equity in New Delhi-based C&S Electric for around Rs 2,100 crore.
₹8,594 cr to be disbursed to stressed NBFCs and HFCs
The Finance Ministry said 24 proposals by stressed non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and housing finance companies (HFCs) worth ₹8,594 crore have been sanctioned under the special liquidity scheme.
- The scheme was announced in July, as part of the ₹20.97 lakh crore ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ package.
Digit Launches SME Buddy to Simplify Insurance for SMEs and Startups
On world’s entrepreneur day, technology-driven general insurance company Digit Insurance has launched an exclusive do-it-yourself (DIY) advisory tool for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and startups, SME Buddy.
- The online tool helps entrepreneurs calculate the insurance coverage for their business in just a few simple steps. The business owner has to key in details about the nature of his business, its industry, assets linked to the enterprise and the businesses resources.
- Based on these details, SME Buddy will give suggestions on the kind of insurance coverage that the entrepreneur can buy for his business.
Jacques Kallis, Zaheer Abbas, Lisa Sthalekar inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
Legendary South African all-rounder Jaques Kallis, Pakistan batting great Zaheer Abbas and Pune-born former Australian captain Lisa Sthalekar were inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame in a virtual ceremony.
- Kallis is the fourth South African player inducted and Zaheer the sixth from Pakistan. Lisa is the 27th from Australia and the ninth woman player in the list, which includes five from Australia.
- In all, 93 players have been inducted so far under the system, which sees retired players become eligible five years after playing their last international match.
Tomyas Award for Reshma Mohandas
Reshma Mohandas, a nurse with the Government Medical College (MCH), Kottayam, has been selected for the Tomyas Award worth ₹1 lakh for the best nurse in Kerala.
- The award was instituted in memory of Treesa Ignatius, mother of Thomas Pavaratti, owner of Thrissur-based Tomyas Advertising Agency.
- The Award will be presented by Bobby Paul and Antio Paul, directors of Star Plastics, at Tomyas Garden, Peramangalam, on October 2.
International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is annually observed on August 23 to remind people of the tragedy of the transatlantic slave trade.
- It gives people a chance to think about the historic causes, the methods, and the consequences of slave trade.
- This year, the theme is ‘Confronting Slavery’s Legacy of Racism Together’