Daily Current Affairs 24 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Urban India declared Open defecation free
The Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry said the Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban had achieved its goal of making urban India free of open defecation, though urban local bodies in West Bengal had not been declared open defecation free (ODF).
- Urban areas of 35 states and Union Territories have become ODF. In all, 4,320 cities out of 4,372 have declared themselves ODF, of which 4,167 cities have been certified through third-party verification.
- Government has launched star rating protocol for Garbage free cities and Indore, Ambikapur, Navi Mumbai and Mysuru have been certified as 5-star cities.
CM Gehlot inagurates first Janta clinic in Jaipur
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot inaugurated the first Janta clinic at Valmiki Basti in Malviya Nagar area here to provide free primary health care to poor people living in city slums.
- In the first phase, 12 Janta clinics will be opened where people will get free medicines as well as free medical examination in some cases.
Andhra CM Jagan launches ‘Netanna Nestham’ welfare scheme for weavers
Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the latest scheme in a series of welfare schemes promised during his election campaign.
- The YSR Netanna Nestham (weaver’s friend) scheme provides an annual incentive of Rs 24,000 for handloom weavers in the state.
- Every weaver family would get Rs. 1.20 lakh within five years.
Oxygen Parlour’ opened at Nashik Railway Station to combat air pollution
In a unique initiative to battle rising air pollution in cities, an ‘Oxygen Parlour’ has been opened at Nashik railway station to provide an experience of breathing clean air to the commuters.
- The initiative comes with the efforts of Airo Guard in collaboration with the Indian Railways.
Prez Kovind releases mobile app of Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad
President Ram Nath Kovind released the mobile app of the Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad. Developed by the Telangana Centre for Good Governance in less than three months, the mobile app is accessible in all languages.
2.2 lakh road traffic deaths in India in 2017: ICMR study
As many as 2.2 lakh road injury deaths occurred in India in 2017, out of which 77 percent were males which were three times higher as compared to female deaths, revealed the study conducted by the Indian Council of Medical Research.
- The highest road injury death rates among females were in the states of Manipur, Jharkhand, and Punjab.
- The motorcyclist and cyclist road injury death rate was 69 per cent and 33 percent respectively which is higher in India as compared to the global average.
- Pedestrian road injury deaths were highest among older adults in India.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bank of Baroda partners with Gujarat govt to provide MSME loans
In order to facilitate flow of credit in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), Bank of Baroda has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Gujarat government.
- Credit will be provided to the MSME sector for greenfield projects, startups, women entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs from backward areas under the Gujarat Single Window Clearance Act 2017 & Ordinance Number 1 of 2019 dated October 24, 2019.
Manu, Anish sweep senior, junior gold medals in Nationals
Commonwealth Games champions Manu Bhaker and Anish Bhanwala swept the senior and junior gold medals in the women’s 10m air pistol and men’s 25m rapid fire pistol events at the National Shooting Championships.
- Devanshi Dhama was way back with 237.8 and another Tokyo quota winner Yashaswini Singh Deswal won bronze with 217.7.
Indian weightlifter Rakhi creates two new national records
AIRIndian weightlifter Rakhi Halder with creating two new national records clinched a bronze medal in the women’s 64kg weight category at the Qatar International Cup in Doha.
- The Commonwealth Championship gold medallist, superseded the senior national record in both snatch and total lift with her personal best effort of 218kg 95kg in the snatch with 123 kg in clean and jerk.
Harsh Vardhan Shringla appointed new foreign secretary
Seasoned diplomat Harsh Vardhan Shringla was appointed as the new foreign secretary for a two-year fixed term, succeeding Vijay Gokhale.
- Shringla, a 1984 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), currently serving as envoy to the US.
Sangita Reddy takes over as Ficci President
Sangita Reddy, joint managing director, Apollo Hospitals Group has taken over as the President of industry chamber Ficci for 2019-20.
- She succeeds Sandip Somany, vice chairman and managing director, HSIL.
- The Walt Disney Company APAC President and Star & Disney India Chairman Uday Shankar has been elevated as Senior Vice President of Ficci, and Sanjiv Mehta, chairman and managing director, HUL has joined Ficci leadership as Vice President.
EASF Small Finance Bank gets new chairman
P R Ravi Mohan has been appointed as the new chairman of Kerala-based ESAF Small Finance Bank. He replaced R Prabha, who completed his tenure as the chairman.
Govt extends tenure of NABARD chief Harsh Kumar Bhanwala by six months
According to an order issued by the Personnel Ministry, the tenure of NABARD chairman Harsh Kumar Bhanwala was extended by six months, with effect from December 18, 2019.
Raghubar Das resigns as Jharkhand CM
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das handed over his resignation to Governor Draupadi Murmu at Raj Bhavan after the BJP lost assembly polls in the state.
BJP is poised to win 25 seats in this assembly election. Das himself is trailing behind independent candidate Saryu Roy from Jamshedpur East with over 70000 votes.
Actor Sharad Ponkshe gets Janakavi P Sawlaram Memorial Award
Noted Marathi actor Sharad Ponkshe has got the Janakavi P Sawlaram Memorial Award for his contribution in the field of cinema and theatre.
- The award is jointly given by the Thane Municipal Corporation and the Janakavi P Savlaram Kala Samiti.