Daily Current Affairs 24 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Odisha CM inaugurates Gandhi Peace Centre in Bhubaneswar
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the Gandhi Peace Centre at Khandagiri-Udaygiri caves.
- The centre is a unique digital interactive museum with six galleries where items related to Mahatma Gandhi are displayed
- It will also have shows on Mahatma Gandhi’s philosophy, Hindi and English.
Herath festival celebrated in Jammu & Kashmir
Maha Shivratri, locally known as ‘Herath’, was celebrated with religious fervour and gaiety across Kashmir with a minuscule number of Kashmiri Pandits (Hindus) visiting temples or offering ‘puja’ (prayers) at home.
- The festival celebrated annually to honour Lord Shiva and also marks the day of the marriage between Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
Advisor to LG J&K, Farooq Khan flags off youth exchange programme ‘Watan Ko Jano’
Advisor to Lieutenant Governor, Farooq Khan flagged off a group of students from across Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh Union Territories for a ten day tour ‘Watan Ko Jano’, a youth exchange programme.
- The tour, being participated by 200 students from different areas of J&K and Ladakh.
- During the tour, the children will get an opportunity to visit monuments and places of historical and cultural significance in Delhi, Jaipur, Ajmer and Pushkar
Losar festival celebrated in Himachal Pradesh
Hundreds of people from the Buddhist community gathered at different temples in the state of Himachal Pradesh to celebrate the Losar festival.
- People celebrated Losar Festival, on the first day of the lunisolar Tibetan calendar, at Dharamshala. Prayers were offered at Dorje Drak Monastery in Shimla.
GoI launches “PM KISAN” mobile application
Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare launched PM Kisan Mobile app on the occasion of 1st anniversary of launch of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
- It is aimed at broadening the reach of the scheme further
BANKING & FINANCE
Birla Estates launches interactive AI powered ChatBot LIDEA on WhatsApp
Birla Estates recently launched an interactive AI Powered ChatBot solution LIDEA for its customers on WhatsApp.
- The solution is aimed at providing information of its projects to users who are evaluating residential developments of Birla Estates, says the company.
Ravi Kumar Dahiya bags gold medal in Asian Wrestling Championships
India wrestler Ravi Kumar Dahiya clinched a gold medal in the Asain Wrestling Championships at the KD Jadhav Wrestling Hall.
- Ravi outclassed Tajikistan’s Hikmatullo Vohidov 10-0 in the final bout of the 57kg category.
- Earlier in the day, ace wrestler Bajrang Punia settled for a silver medal after losing the final bout.In the 65kg category final, Punia faced a 10-2 defeat at the hands of Japan’s Takuto Otoguro.
FC Goa becomes first Indian club to qualify for AFC Champions League
FC Goa scripted history as the club became the first Indian team to qualify for the group stages of the AFC Champions League.
- AFC Champions League, which is viewed as Asia’s top club competition will now see India’s representation as FC Goa outclassed Jamshedpur FC 5-0 in the Indian Super League (ISL).
India’s Grandmaster D Gukesh wins 34th Cannes Open in France
India’s 13-year old Grandmaster D. Gukesh emerged champion in the 34th Cannes Open in Cannes, France, beating Harutyun Bargseghyan of the host nation in the final round to end with 7.5 points.
- Gukesh who last year became the world’s second youngest Grandmaster ever, beat the Frenchman in 50 moves to emerge clear winner.
Chandigarh to host 2022 Commonwealth Archery and Shooting Championships
The Commonwealth Archery and Shooting Championships are set to take place in India in 2022 after a proposal to stage the event was approved by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) Executive Board.
- The event will be held in Chandigarh, the joint capital of the northern Indian states of Punjab and Haryana, and is scheduled to be staged in January 2022
Rajalaxmi Deo re-elected as Rowing Federation of India president
Rajalaxmi Singh Deo was re-elected as the (RFI) after the successful conclusion of the elections.
- Rajpal Singh, G Bhasker, Souvik Ghose, and Sreekunara Kurup were elected as vice-presidents.
- MV Sriram was voted as secretary-general of the RFI while Krishna Kumar Singh and Chirajit Dhukan were chosen as joint-secretaries of the federation.
- The post of the treausurer was won by Nababudin Ahmed. Jasbir Singh, Venkateshwara Rao, Ismail Baig, Jacob, and Manjunatha were elected as the executive committee members.
Mahathir Mohamad resigns as Malaysian PM amid political turmoil
Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad announced his resignation from the post, paving the way for a possible formation of a new government.
- The 94-year-old leader sent a two-line resignation letter to the king.
- Mahathir’s party, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, has also quit the ruling government coalition, Pakatan Harapan (Alliance of Hope), according to party president, Muhyiddin Yassin.
World Book of Records honours Manoj Kumar for his contribution to Indian films
Actor Manoj Kumar was honored by the World Book of Records London. Kumar was awarded the WBR Golden Arra of Bollywood for his contribution to Indian cinema.Earlier legendary actor Dilip Kumar was also felicitated with the honour
- He was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1992. He was conferred the 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2015.
CSIR-CDRI Scientist Dr. Niti Kumar gets SERB Women Excellence Award-2020
Dr Niti Kumar, Senior Scientist from Division of Molecular Parasitology and Immunology, CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow has received SERB Women Excellence Award-2020.
- This award is given to women scientist below 40 years of age who have received recognition from national academies. The women researchers will be supported by research grant of 5 lakhs per annum for 3 years by Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India (SERB-DST).