Daily Current Affairs 24 February 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President inaugurates world’s largest Cricket stadium at Motera in Ahmedabad
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the newly constructed world’s largest Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium at Motera in Ahmedabad.President Kovind has also laid the foundation stone of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave at newly-built Cricket Stadium.
- Narendra Modi Cricket stadium- that spreads across over 63 acres of land has three entrances. It has 76 air-conditioned corporate boxes with a seating capacity of 25 each. It has an Olympic-size swimming pool and four dressing rooms, a parking area that can accommodate around 3000 cars and 10000 two-wheelers.
- The stadium has a clubhouse with 55 rooms, gymnasium, indoor practice pitches and food courts. Instead of flood lights, LED lights have been installed on the roof of Motera stadium.
Punjab Cabinet approves mission ‘Lal Lakir’ in all villages
The Punjab Cabinet approved implementation of mission ‘Lal Lakir’ aimed at facilitating villagers to monetise property rights and availing benefits provided by government departments, institutions and banks in all villages across the state.
- As no record of rights is available for such properties within the ‘Lal Lakir’, the same cannot currently be monetised as per real value of the property and no mortgages can be created on such properties.
- Under the mission, the right of record of properties within ‘Lal Lakir’ in the villages of the state will be prepared with the cooperation of the government of India under the SVAMITVA (Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas) scheme.
UP govt to develop Jewar Airport as Asia’s biggest airport with six runways
Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government plans to develop Jewar Airport as Asia’s biggest airport with six runways. The state government has to set aside 2,000 crore for Jewar Airport in its budget for 2021-22 presenting in the Assembly.
- The state government has also increased the number of runways of the Jewar Airport to six, from two proposed earlier.
- The under construction airport in Ayodhya will be named as Maryada Purushottam Sriram Airport. A provision of 101 crore rupees has been made for it in the budget. Ayodhya airport will also be subsequently made an international airport.
Govt sanctions over 56 thousand more houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)
Government has sanctioned over 56 thousand more houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
- Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said, out of the total validated demand of one crore 12 lakh houses by 2022, nearly one crore 11 lakh homes are now sanctioned. He informed that over 73 lakh houses have now been grounded. The Minister said, 42 lakh 70 thousand houses have been handed over to the beneficiaries.
- The government has set a target to provide pucca houses to all eligible beneficiaries of Urban India by 2022 with the vision of Housing for All.
India becomes 1st country in world to identify need for action for Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that India has become the first country in the world to identify the need for action for Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- He said this while launching the operational guidelines for integration of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease with the National Programme for Prevention & Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke.
- The abnormal accumulation of fat in the liver in the absence of secondary causes of fatty liver is a serious health concern as it encompasses a spectrum of liver abnormalities.
India and Mauritius sign Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement
India and Mauritius have signed Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement (CECPA).
- This is the first trade Agreement signed by India with a country in Africa.
- The Agreement is a limited agreement, which will cover Trade in Goods, Rules of Origin, Trade in Services, Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT), Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) measures, Dispute Settlement, Movement of Natural Persons, Telecom, Financial Services, Customs Procedures and Cooperation in other areas.
Centre, Nagaland govt sign 68 USD project with World Bank to improve Quality of Education
The Centre along with the Nagaland State government has signed a 68 million dollar project with the World Bank in order to Improve the Quality of Education in Nagaland.
- The project named “Nagaland: Enhancing Classroom Teaching and Resources” will improve classroom instruction; create opportunities for the professional development of teachers; and build technology systems to provide students and teachers with more access to blended and online learning.
- The project will also allow better monitoring of policies and programs.
Israel launches green pass for people with vaccination certificate
Israel has launched a coronavirus “green pass” system, which allows people who have been vaccinated to access public facilities that would otherwise be off limits.
- Israelis who have gotten both Pfizer vaccine shots and those who have recovered from the virus get a “Green Pass” certificate in the form of a QR code or printout for people without smart phones.
- The pass allows entry to gyms, swimming pools, hotels, entertainment venues and sporting events. Restaurants and bars will be added to the list since March.
BANKING & FINANCE
e-Kuber payments system launched in J&K
Jammu and Kashmir formally rolled out e-Kuber payments system of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The new payments system of RBI would replace the existing system for the purpose of government payments.
- All types of government payments including employee’s salaries and pensioner’s pensions will be done through RBI’s e-Kuber.
- Initially, e-Kuber would be implemented in Civil Secretariat treasury on pilot basis and rollout of this system for other treasuries shall follow shortly.
Govt. and AIIB sign loan agreement for USD 304 million Assam Intra-State Transmission System Enhancement Project
Union Government and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a 304 million dollar Assam Intra-State Transmission System Enhancement Project to improve reliability, capacity and security of the power transmission network in the State of Assam.
- The project aims to strengthen Assam’s electricity transmission system by constructing 10 transmission substations and laying transmission lines, upgrading 15 existing substations and providing technical assistance to support project implementation.
- The programme would strengthen the existing intrastate transmission network of Assam by augmenting it with newer networks to achieve affordable, secure, efficient and reliable round the clock power. This would, in turn, bring Assam closer to ensuring long-term sustainability of its electricity supply.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TCS to invest Rs 1,500 cr on Kerala digital hub
Global IT leader TCS will invest an estimated ₹̥1,200-₹1,500 crore to expand operations in Kerala and has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Technopark for leasing 97 acres of land at its Technocity campus to set up a digital hub for engineering, product development and IT services across manufacturing, defence and aerospace sectors with a focus on new generation technologies.
- TCS intends to complete the first phase of the project over the next 22-28 months which itself is expected to generate 5,000 jobs
India’s women’s contingent finishes at top in 30th Adriatic Pearl tournament in Budva, Montenegro
In Boxing, Arundhati Choudhary in 69 kilogram category and Naorem Babyrojisana Chanu 51 kilogram category won gold medals as India’s women contingent ended the 30th Adriatic Pearl tournament in Budva, Montenegro, with five gold, three silver and two bronze medals in addition to three male boxers winning bronze.
- India’s women’s contingent thus finished top of the podium at the tournament and took home the trophy.
- Babyrosijana beat Sabina Bobokulova of Uzbekistan while Arundhati beat Ukraine’s Marina Stoiko in their final bouts.
Nihar N Jambusaria elected ICAI President
The CA Institute appointed its new President Nihar N Jambusaria. He has been elected as President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for 2021-22.Meanwhile, Debashis Mitra has been elected as Vice President of CA Institute with effect from February 12.
- A Fellow Chartered Accountant from Mumbai, Jambusaria qualified as a chartered accountant in 1984 and was in practice for nearly 27 years. He had also served as the Chairman of Western India Regional Council (WIRC) of ICAI in 2004-05.
- Jambusaria is also currently Board Member of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) and Member of SEBI’s Primary Markets Advisory Committee.
Irakli Garibashvili confirmed as new Prime Minister of Georgia
The Parliament of Georgia confirmed Irakli Garibashvili as Prime Minister along with a vote of confidence in the cabinet Garibashvili put forward.
- Irakli Garibashvili replaces Giorgi Gakharia, who resigned last week.
- Garibashvili was defense minister in Gakharia’s Cabinet and is a member of the ruling Georgian Dream party.
Union Bank Of India wins World HRD Congress Awards
Union Bank of India was awarded “Best Service Provider” in Human Resources and also the best institution for “Excellence in Learning & Development” at the 29th Global HRD Congress awards function held at Mumbai.
- Kalyan Kumar, Chief General Manager, HR was named as “Chief Human Resources Officer of the Year”. Vinayak V Tembhurane, General Manager, HR, received the coveted award on his behalf.
Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2021
The Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2021 were announced, to honour the best in Indian cinema, television, music, and OTT. Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput was posthumously awarded ‘Critics Best Actor’ for his performance in Dil Bechara.
List of 2021 awards:
- Best Actor (Female) – Deepika Padukone, Chhapaak
- Best Actor (Male) – Akshay Kumar, Laxmii.
- Critic’s Best Actress – Kiara Advani, Guilty
- Critic’s Best Actor – Sushant Singh Rajput
- Best Film – Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior
- Best International Feature Film – Parasite
- Most Versatile Actor – Kay Kay Menon
- Best Director – Anurag Basu, Ludo
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Vikrant Massey, Chhapaak
- Best Actress in Supporting Role – Radhika Madan
- Best Actor in Comic Role – Kunal Kemmu, Lootcase
- Best Actor (Web Series) – Bobby Deol, Aashram
- Best Actress (Web Series) – Sushmita Sen, Aarya
- Best Web Series – Scam: 1992
- Album of the Year – Titliyaan
- Best Television Series – Kundali Bhagya
- Photographer of the Year – Daboo Ratnani
- Style Diva of the Year – Divya Khosla Kumar
- Best Actress in Television Series – Surbhi Chandna
- Best Actor in Television Series – Dheeraj Dhoopar
- Performer of the Year – Nora Fatehi
- Outstanding Contribution to Film Industry – Dharemendra
- Outstanding Contribution to Literature in Indian Cinema – Chetan Bhagat
ITC Grand Chola receives ‘Swachh Hotel’ award from City Corporation
The ITC Grand Chola Hotel, Guindy was awarded the ‘Swachh Hotel’ award as part of Swachh Survekshan 2021 by the Greater Chennai Corporation, for its sustained initiatives in solid waste management.
- ITC Hotels has been future-ready for over a decade. All the practices implemented by the ITC Grand Chola are embedded in this core philosophy and are visible and measurable; this alignment of philosophy and practice has manifested in the coveted LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum rating for all of the group’s luxury hotels.
Former TRAI chief Rahul Khullar passes away
Former chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Rahul Khullar passed away in New Delhi owing to a prolonged illness.
- Khullar, a 1975-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, was appointed as TRAI chief in May 2012. He served at TRAI for three years.
- Before being appointed as TRAI chief, he was a secretary of the Ministry of Commerce and Trade.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Noted educationist Dr Darlie Koshy’s new book unveiled
Noted educationist and leader of skilling India Dr Darlie O Koshy’s new book titled ‘Runway to Skilled India’ was unveiled at the India Craft Week being held at Bikaner House, New Delhi.
- The book has incorporated for the first time an interactive model with a QR Code for the reader to listen to the entire proceedings of Virtual Round Table which had leading luminaries like Ajit Seth, Former Cabinet Secretary, GoIand Mohandas Pai, Chairman, Manipal Global Education, Dr Subroto Bagchi, Chairman, Odisha Skill Development Authority (OSDA), among others who have dealt with multi-faceted dimensions of the book thus bringing a rich mosaic of ideas and possibilities to realize the dream of ‘Skilled India.’
Central Excise Day
Central Excise Day is celebrated every year on February 24 across the whole India to encourage the employees of excise department to carry out the central excise duty all over India in better way in order and even to prevent the corruption in goods manufacturing business as well as implement other rules to carry out best possible excise services.
- The day is celebrated to commemorate the legislation of the Central Excise and Salt act on 24 February 1944.