Daily Current Affairs 24 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi Releases Rs 2,691 Crore for 6.1 Lakh PMAY-G Beneficiaries in Uttar Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released financial assistance of Rs 2,691 crore to 6.1 lakh beneficiaries in Uttar Pradesh under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana via video conference.
- The assistance includes release of first installment to 5.30 lakh beneficiaries and second installment to 80,000 beneficiaries who have already availed of the first installment of assistance under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (PMAY-G).
- So far 1.26 crore houses have already been built across the country under the scheme.
Delhi gets highest NAS score due to transformation of govt schools
Central government think tank NITI Aayog has appreciated the “landmark transformation” of the government schools as they have secured the top score in the think tank’s India Innovation Index 2020.
- The index said that given the high income levels of Delhi and the transformation of the government schools system, Delhi has reported the highest National Achievement Survey (NAS) score of 44.73.
- According to ‘India Innovation Index 2020’, prepared by Niti Aayog, among all pillars under Human Capital, the states have performed the best on NAS scores (Class X), wherein the average NAS score achieved by all states is 35.66.
- On the other hand, the index pointed out that the pillar score was weighed down by the low number of higher education institutions ensuring high quality education, wherein only 3.37 per cent of the institutions had a NAAC grade A and above.With 40.74 per cent of institutions in Chandigarh having grade A and above, it topped the ranking in that particular indicator.
‘Sushant Singh Rajput Marg’: Road in South Delhi to be Named After SSR
A stretch of road in Andrews Ganj in south Delhi will soon be named after the late actor Sushant Singh Rajput as the area’s civic body has cleared a proposal for it.
- SDMC’s Congress councillor Abhishek Dutt in September 2020 had moved the proposal to name the road after the actor.
Odisha’s famous ‘Toshali National Crafts Mela’ begins
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the 15th edition of Toshali National Crafts Mela in Bhubaneswar.
- The Toshali Crafts Mela has become one of the most popular handlooms and handicrafts fairs in Eastern India. Three artisans were also presented with the State Handicrafts Award-2019 in the event.
- Three winners are- Dilip Kumar Swain (palm leaf engraving), Divyajyoti Behera (stone sculpting), and Priyanka Patra (terracotta).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
States Fiscal Deficit Seen Spiking to Historic High of 4.7%, Says Crisil Report
The combined fiscal deficit of the states will hit a peak of Rs 8.7 lakh crore or 4.7 per cent of their GDP this fiscal on the back of steep fall in tax collections due to disruptions inflicted by the pandemic, according to a report.
- Revenue of the states have so badly fallen that as much as 70 per cent of the fiscal deficit is contributed by revenue deficit, which normally used to be only around 15 per cent.
- Tax collections may slowly recover with improving economic outlook. However, higher interest burden because of high debt funding of this year’s GFD, coupled with sticky revenue expenditures, may keep revenue deficits high for States and GFD composition skewed over the next 2-3 years.
ITBP wins IHAI National Ice Hockey Championship in Gulmarg
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) won the Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI)’s 10th National Ice Hockey Championship trophy after a superb win over Ladakh UT team in the finals at Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The match was held at Gulmarg Ice Rink.Teams from Delhi, Maharashtra, Indian Army also participated in the tournament.
Jayant Khobragade appointed India’s next Ambassador to ASEAN Secretariat
Jayant N Khobragade has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat in Jakarta, according to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Khobragade, an IFS 1995 batch officers, is currently serving as a joint secretary in the external affairs ministry.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
Indian mathematician Nikhil Srivastava named joint winner of Michael and Sheila Held Prize
Indian mathematician Nikhil Srivastava, has been named winner of the prestigious 2021 Michael and Sheila Held Prize along with two others for solving long-standing questions on the Kadison–Singer problem and on Ramanujan graphs.
- Srivastava from the University of California, Berkeley, Adam Marcus, from the Ecole polytechnique federale de Lausanne (EPFL) and Daniel Alan Spielman from Yale University will receive the 2021 Michael and Sheila Held Prize.
- The prize consists of a medal and $100,000. The prize was established in 2017 by the bequest of Michael And Sheila Held.
Rajendra Kumar Bhandari selected for Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar
Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society and. Rajendra Kumar Bhandari have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for their excellent work in Disaster Management.
- The award carries a cash prize of 51 lakh rupees and a certificate in case of an institution and five lakh rupees and a certificate in case of an individual.
- Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society, SEEDS has done commendable work in building community resilience to disasters. Dr. Rajendra Kumar Bhandari is among the pioneers in India who laid the foundation of scientific studies on geo hazards in general and landslides in particular.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Hawk-i Test Fires Smart Anti-airfield Weapon Capable of Destroying Enemy Assets from 100 km
State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited successfully test fired a Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from the Hawk-i aircraft off the coast of Odisha.
- The aircraft flown by HAL test pilots Wing Commander (Retd) P Awasthi and Wg Cdr (Retd) M Patel executed the weapon release in a text book manner and all mission objectives were met.
- The indigenous stand-off weapon, developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI), is the first smart weapon fired from an Indian Hawk-Mk132. The telemetry and tracking systems captured all the mission events confirming the success of the trials.
Eminent Odiya Actor Rabi Mishra passes away
Veteran Odia actor Rabi Mishra passed away at a private hospital in the Capital City following a cardiac arrest. He was 64.
- Mishra, who performed in many popular movies, television serials and over hundred plays, was the main character in the popular television serial-‘Gopala Rahasya’. He became a household name because of the lively character of Gopala Bhanda he played in the series.
- The eminent actor ruled the Ollywood and television industries for over two decades. He is known for his performance in super hit movies such as ‘Bhai Hela Bhagari’, ‘Sakala Tirtha’, ‘Soubhagyabati’, ‘Maa Pari Kie Haba’, “Rakhi Bhijigala Aakhi Luhare’, ‘Mana Rahiagal Tumari Thare’, ‘Mukhyamantri’ and many others.
Rajasthan Congress MLA Gajendra Singh Shaktawat passes away
Congress legislator from Udaipur’s Vallabhnagar constituency Gajendra Singh Shaktawat, died of prolonged illness.He was 48.
- The two-time MLA was son of Congress stalwart from Mewar and former state minister Gulab Singh Shaktawat. He served as parliamentary secretary in the previous Gehlot government (2008-13). Shaktawat was among the 19 Congress MLAs, along with Pilot, who rebelled against Gehlot’s leadership in July last year.