Daily Current Affairs 24 July 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Punjab starts AABR system for effective screen of hearing loss in newborn
To manage hearing loss in newborn and young children, Punjab government launched an automated auditory brainstem response system (AABR) under universal newborn hearing screening programme. By doing so, Punjab has become the first state in the country to introduce the system.
- After diagnosing the hearing disability in a child, the state government will also provide free of cost cochlear implant which is a surgically implanted neuroprosthesis that provides a person with sensorineural hearing loss a modified sense of sound.
Gujarat HC becames first court to start live streaming of proceedings
Gujarat High Court became the first court in the country to formally start live streaming of proceedings. Chief Justice of India N.V. Ramana announced that steps would soon be taken to replicate this to some extent inthe Supreme Court as well.
Bangladesh to develop alternative social media platform for Facebook, Whatsapp
The Bangladesh government is working to develop a social media platform named ‘Jogajog’ as an alternative to Facebook. The platform will help the local entrepreneurs to create their own marketplace for sharing information and data without depending on any foreign platform.
- The government is also working to develop a communication app ‘Alapan’ as an alternative to Whatsapp.
- Zunaid Ahmed Palak said that the government also plans to develop a streaming app as an alternative to YouTube so that the huge outflow of money due to advertisement from the country could be stopped.
BANKING & FINANCE
Kerala Bank launches new loan scheme
Kerala Bank has launched a loan scheme titled ‘Kerala Bank Samagra’ for the infrastructure development of Primary Agricultural Credit Cooperatives (PACS). The comprehensive loan scheme was devised to help PACS create job opportunities in rural areas and overcome the Covid crisis.
Multilink announces tie-up with NSDL payments bank to build 4,000+ business correspondent agent network in India
Multilink, one of India’s fastest-growing fintech companies with a network of 1,00,000+ agents spread across India, said it will begin its strategic partnership with NSDL payments bank to build agent points across India, and the strategic tie-up will also result in providing banking facilities to rural and urban areas through NEO banking systems.
- The company believes that this branchless banking tie-up will give a boost to digitization and more people will be able to avail themselves and use banking facilities from their neighbourhood.
HDFC ERGO launches Optima Secure indemnity-based health insurance policy
HDFC ERGO General Insurance announced the launch of Optima Secure, a new health indemnity insurance product that seeks to redefine the value customers can get from their insurance plan.
- According to the HDFC ERGO, the product has the “secure, plus, protect, and restore benefits built-in”, which combine to offer customers up to four times their sum insured at no additional charge, while guaranteeing coverage for listed non-medical expenses.
Dhanlaxmi Bank announces strategic alliance with SMC Global Securities
The Dhanlaxmi bank announced a strategic alliance with SMC Global Securities Limited for offering online trading services to customers. The tie-up will offer an integrated 3-in-1 account, comprising a Savings, Demat and Trading account providing a hassle free and convenient trading experience to the Dhanlaxmi Bank customers through the portal “www.smctradeonline.com apart from mobile trading app (SMC ACE) and desktop based software
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Cisco And NSDC Partner To Upskill India In Digital Skills
Cisco Networking Academy and the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) have partnered to address the shortage of a tech-proficient workforce in India and create career opportunities for millions in the digital economy.
- The partnership will offer access to the Cisco Networking Academy courses through NSDC’s eSkill India platform, to provide comprehensive digital skills critical for the digital-first world.
Bala Devi, Manisha Kalyan named winners of annual AIFF awards
India women’s forward Bala Devi has been named as the AIFF Women’s Footballer of the Year 2020-21, with young gun Manisha Kalyan winning the AIFF Women’s Emerging Footballer of the Year 2020-21 Award.
Mirabai Chanu wins India’s first medal at Tokyo Olympics
Mirabai Chanu won India’s first medal at Tokyo Olympics with a silver in women’s 49kg weightlifting on the first official day of action at the Games.
- The Indian lifted a total of 202kg to finish second to China’s Hou Zhihui who won the gold with an Olympic record total of 210 kgs.
- Mirabai becomes the second Indian to win an Olympic medal in weightlifting after Karnam Malleswari’s historic bronze in *2000 and just the fifth individual to win a silver medal.
Bangladesh: Legendary folk musician and freedom fighter Fakir Alamgir passes away
Folk music legend and freedom fighter Fakir Alamgir passed away in Dhaka. He was suffering from Coronavirus infection and suffered a heart attack. He was 71.
- Singer, musician and songwriter, Fakir Alamgir was a leading exponent of Gono Sangeet or songs of the masses. He was known as a leading voice for the weaker sections of society.
Renowned Marathi poet Satish Kalsekar passes away
Renowned Marathi poet Satish Kalsekar passed away following a heart attack. He was 78.
- Kalsekar was awarded with Sahitya Akademi Award in 2014 for his collection of essays ‘Vachanaryachi Rojanishee’. He was mostly known for his work as a poet. His popular collections of poems are ‘Indriyopnishad’, ‘Sakshat’ and ‘Vilambit’.
World Chess Day
Under initiative of International Chess Federation (FIDE), July 20 has been observed as International Chess Day by chess players around the world since 1966.
- The designation of World Chess Day of the UN will not only recognize the important role of the FIDE in supporting international cooperation for chess activity and aiming to improve friendly harmony among all peoples of the world, but also to provide an important platform to foster, dialogue, solidarity and culture of peace.