Daily Current Affairs 24 June 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre mandates 3-yr health insurance plan for surrogate mothers
The government has issued fresh surrogacy rules, making it mandatory for couples who wish to become parents through surrogacy to buy health insurance plans for surrogate mothers.
- According to the new provisions, the intending couples will need to purchase a general health insurance cover in favour of a surrogate mother for a period of 36 months from an insurance company or an agent recognized by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) for an amount which is sufficient to cover all expenses for all complications arising out of pregnancy and also covering postpartum delivery complications.
- As per the Surrogacy Regulation Act 2021, insurance means an arrangement by which a company, individual or intending couple undertakes to provide a guarantee of compensation for medical expenses, health issues, specified loss, damage, illness or death of a surrogate mother and such other prescribed expenses incurred on such surrogate mother during the process of surrogacy.
- Every private surrogacy clinic has to file an application for registration with a fee of ₹2 lakh which is non-refundable. However, facilities under government-run institutes are exempt from such fees.
Karnataka CM Bommai inaugurates largest IKEA store in India
Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said leading Swedish home furnishing retailer IKEA has decided to invest about Rs 3,000 crore in the state.
- The Chief Minister inaugurated IKEA’s largest store in India at Nagasandra, which is the furnishing retailer’s fourth outlet in the country.
Delhi’s IGI becomes India’s first airport to run entirely on hydro and solar power
Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport has become the first airport in the country to run entirely on hydro and solar power.
- It is a major step towards achieving the ambitious goal of becoming a Net Zero Carbon Emission Airport by 2030, Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) said.
- For this, DIAL, a GMR Infrastructure Limited-led consortium, which manages and operates the Delhi Airport, has signed a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with a Himachal Pradesh-based hydropower producing company for the supply of hydroelectricity for the airport until 2036, the private airport operator said.
India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-24 successfully launched
The GSAT-24 satellite, built by ISRO for NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), was successfully launched on-board Ariane-V VA257 flight by French company Arianespace from Kourou in French Guiana (South America).
- GSAT-24 is a 24-Ku band communication satellite weighing 4180 kg with pan-India coverage for meeting DTH application needs.
- It was the first “demand driven” communication satellite mission undertaken by NSIL post space sector reforms.
- NSIL, a Government of India company under the Department of Space, has leased the entire satellite capacity to Tata Play.
South Korea launches first satellite with homegrown rocket
South Korea conducted its first successful satellite launch using a domestically developed rocket – Nuri boosting its growing aerospace ambitions and demonstrating it has key technologies needed to launch spy satellites and build larger missiles amid tensions with rival North Korea.
US announces USD 122 million fund for India to address challenges posed by infectious diseases
The United States has announced a funding of USD 122 million to top three Indian medical research institutions to prevent avoidable epidemics, early detection of disease threats, and rapid and effective response. The total funding of USD 122,475,000 will, over a period of five years, be distributed to the three top Indian health research institutions — Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), National Institute of Virology (NIV) and National Institute of Epidemiology (NIE).
IAEA Launches New Information System on Workers Safety to Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material
The IAEA has launched a new database of the Information System on Occupational Exposure in Medicine, Industry, and Research (ISEMIR), which specifically targets workers in industrial processes involving naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) – called ISEMIR-N.
- Globally, there are over 24 million workers in various industries such as mining, oil and gas production, mineral sands, water treatment, metal refining and recycling, phosphate production, and geothermal energy, who are monitored to ensure radiation safety as they are exposed to NORM.
BANKING & FINANCE
Freo launches Freo Save in partnership with Equitas Small Finance Bank
Freo, one of India’s leading consumer neobanks, launched its digital savings account Freo Save, in partnership with Equitas Small Finance Bank.
- Freo’s digital savings account has been integrated with Equitas’ infrastructure on the Freo Save App and has seamless UPI integration, making it a 100% digital experience.
AU Small Finance Bank launches customisable credit card, LIT
AU Small Finance Bank announced the launch of AU Bank LIT (Live-It-Today) credit card which allows customers to choose the features they want in their card and also decide the time period they want those features for.
- Instead of buying multiple cards for different categories, such as travel, shopping etc, the customer can opt for the categories of their preference under this offering and can also switch any of these features when they want, as per the bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Max Life, Policybazaar launch life insurance savings plan
Max Life Insurance Company Ltd has launched the ‘Max Life Smart Fixed-return Digital Plan’, a non-linked, non-participating, individual life insurance savings plan. The offer helps customers meet short-term financial goals with a minimum policy tenure of five years.
- The plan offers guaranteed tax-free returns up to 6.14% along with life cover protection at monthly premiums as low as ₹3000 and is also available to purchase on Max Life’s website and Policybazaar.com, said the firm.
DBS Bank India acquires 9.9% stake in NBFC Svakarma
DBS Bank India Ltd has acquired a 9.9% stake in Svakarma Finance, a non-banking financial company, for delivering financial solutions to micro-enterprises through a combination of direct lending and co-lending.
Liberty General Insurance partners Peerless Financial Products Distribution
Liberty General Insurance has entered into a corporate agency agreement with Peerless Financial Products Distribution Ltd (PFPDL) to enable the distribution of Liberty’s retail and commercial line of products through Peerless’ network of 42 branches across the country.
India’s Gurunaidu Sanapathi wins Gold at WF Youth Weightlifting Championships
Gurunaidu Sanapathi has clinched a gold medal for India at the 2022 IWF Youth World Championships in Mexico. Weighing 55 kg, Sanapathi won the gold medal by lifting a total of 230 kg, with a snatch of 104 kg and Clean & Jerk of 126 kg. Alongside Sanapathi, Soumya S Dalvi added another medal to India’s tally in the tournament by winning the bronze medal.
Ruchira Kamboj appointed Permanent Representative to UN
Ruchira Kamboj, currently Indian ambassador to Bhutan, has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations at New York, the Ministry of External Affairs said. She will succeed T S Tirumurti, and is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Kamboj, who joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1987, was the All India women’s topper of the 1987 Civil Services batch and the topper of the 1987 Foreign Service batch.
Odisha’s Shreya Lenka is the first Indian to become a K-Pop artiste, joins music group Blackswan
Shreya Lenka has become the first-ever Indian to become a professional K-pop artiste. The 18-year-old from Odisha is now a part of popular South Korean girl group Blackswan along with a Brazilian girl called Gabriela Dalcin.
- Shreya, who goes by her stage-name Sriya, and Gabriela (or Gabi) were selected by a programme organised by DR Music to discover and train budding singers from around the world.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs