Daily Current Affairs 24 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approves extension of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana for another four months; completes formalities to repeal three Farm Laws
Union Cabinet has approved the extension of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana for another four months.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said, the 5th Phase of this scheme has been extended from December 2021 till March 2022.
- He said, the food grain under this phase will entail an estimated additional food subsidy of over 53 thousand 344 crore rupees.
Dr Jitendra Singh Announces 30 Science Technology And Innovation (STI) Hubs for STs By end of 2022
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology; Minister of State (Independent Charge) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated “Tech NEEV/ नींव @75” as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav and interacted with successful start-ups including those from the tribal communities on the occasion of Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas.
- Dr Jitendra Singh informed that the Government will be setting up 30 Science Technology and Innovation (STI) Hubs in different parts of the country for Scheduled Tribes (STs) by end of 2022 to promote scientific talent among tribal communities and for their overall socio-economic development.
- He said, out of 75 proposed STI Hubs for SCs/STs, 20 have already been established by Department of Science and Technology which will directly benefit 20,000 people through various interventions spreading across farm, non-farm and other allied livelihood sectors.
Central Board of Irrigation and Power organizes 1st International Conference on Hydrogen Energy
The 1st International Conference on Hydrogen Energy – Policies, Infrastructure Development and Challenges is being organized by Central Board of Irrigation and Power in New Delhi.
- The two day conference aims to bring key stakeholders on the same platform to discuss all facets of Hydrogen Energy in India.
- Speaking on the occasion, Minister of State for New and Renewable Energy, Bhagwanth Khuba hoped that this conference will be able to deliberate future challenges for Hydrogen Energy and find solutions. He said, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has emphasized his conviction for decarbonisation of India in COP26.
Patalpani railway station to be named after tribal icon Tantya Bhil: MP CM
Continuing the tribal outreach and accusing Congress of crediting only one family for achieving Independence, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced to name Patalpani railway station near Indore and two other landmarks in that city after tribal icon Tantya Bhil.
- Notably, Bhopal’s Habibganj railway station was recently named after Rani Kamalapati, a tribal queen.
- Accusing the previous governments of ignoring the tribal history, Chouhan said that Indore’s Bhanwar Kuan intersection and MR 10 bus stand, being developed at the cost of Rs 53 crore, will also be named after Tantya Bhil.
US, Australia, UK sign key deal in Nuclear Sub Alliance
With a newly formed defence alliance with Britain and the United States, Australia has formally embarked on a hotly contested programme to equip its naval forces with nuclear submarines.
- The agreement is the first to be signed publicly since the three countries announced in September the formation of a defence alliance, AUKUS, to confront strategic tensions in the Pacific, where China and the US are at odds.
- The AUKUS deal will provide Australia with eight state-of-the-art, nuclear submarines capable of long-range missions. In addition, the agreement allows for the sharing of cyber, artificial intelligence, quantum, and unspecified undersea capabilities.
Replacing Fossil Fuel with Wood-based products can help Combat Climate Change: FAO
Renewable wood-based products can help combat climate change and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, according to a new report by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
- The report Forest Products in the global bioeconomy: Enabling substitution by wood-based products and contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals has compiled the most recent knowledge on the role of forest products in the global bioeconomy.
- It explores the role of forests in providing green solutions that can aid the global effort for achieving Net Zero future.
- The report has indicated that bioeconomy is the key to controlling the global temperature rise and combating climate change. It said that substituting fossil sources to produce energy, food, feed, fibre and other manufactured goods with wood as a bio-based material can contribute towards achieving the SDGs.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI releases report of working group on digital lending
A working group constituted with Jayant Kumar Dash, Executive Director, RBI as the Chairman by the Reserve Bank of India on digital lending through online platforms and mobile apps has submitted its report.
- This report is aimed at enhancing customer protection and making the digital lending ecosystem safe while encouraging innovation.
- The group has recommended subjecting the digital lending applications to a verification process by a nodal agency, which may be set up in consultation with stakeholders.
- Further, the group recommends setting up a Self-Regulatory Organisation (SRO) covering the participants in the digital lending ecosystem. An anti-predatory lending policy may be framed by each lender based on the characteristics to be defined by RBI/ proposed SRO.
India, ADB sign 300 million dollar loan to strengthen & improve primary health care in urban areas of 13 states
India and the Asian Development Bank have signed 300 million dollar loan to strengthen and improve access to comprehensive primary health care in urban areas of 13 states.
- These states are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and West Bengal.
- Finance Ministry said, this will benefit over 256 million urban dwellers including 51 million from the slum areas.
ICICI Bank launches ‘Trade Emerge’, a platform for Indian exporters, importers
ICICI Bank has announced the launch of its online platform, ‘Trade Emerge’, to offer comprehensive digital banking and value-added services to exporters and importers across India.
- This platform will make cross border trade hassle-free, expeditious and convenient, as it offers an array of services in one place, eliminating the need for companies to coordinate with multiple touchpoints.
- This digital facility is associated with ‘India Filings’, an online business and tax compliance platform. It will also help traders avail certain export benefits under the country’s Foreign Trade Policy.
State Bank of India, PONLAIT ink pact on loan to dairy farmers
State Bank of India (Chennai circle) has inked a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Puducherry Cooperative Milk Producers Union (PONLAIT) to provide loan to individual dairy farmers
- The loan would be given under SAFAL (simple and fast agriculture loan) scheme of the bank. The amount of loan is up to a limit of Rs 3 lakh.
- This was the first MoU signed in the Chennai circle of the bank which plans to enter into such agreements with commercial dairies throughout the country to finance farmers supplying milk to the dairies.
RBI floats draft scheme for amalgamation of PMC Bank, Unity SFB
Inching closer to resolving the Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank issue, the Reserve Bank came out with a draft scheme for takeover of the crisis-hit bank by the Delhi-based Unity Small Finance Bank (USFB).
- The draft scheme of amalgamation envisages takeover of the assets and liabilities of PMC Bank, including deposits, by USFB, thus giving a greater degree of protection for the depositors.
Usman Shinwari announces retirement from red-ball cricket
Pakistan pacer Usman Khan Shinwari announced his retirement from the longest format to “prolong his cricket career”.
- Shinwari, who has played 17 ODIs and just one Test for Pakistan, informed that he is absolutely fit after undergoing treatment for back injuries.
- He ends his first-class career with 96 wickets from 33 games.
Romania’s president nominates Nicolae Ciuca as PM designate
Romanian President Klaus Iohannis has nominated Defence Minister Nicolae Ciuca to form a new government as Prime Minister.
- Ciuca, 54, a Liberal currently serving as caretaker defence minister, served in U.S.-led military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- He is expected to easily win a parliamentary vote of confidence as his coalition controls 65% of seats.
Hamdok reappointed as Sudan’s PM
Sudan’s removed Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok was reinstated after he and Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, general commander of the Sudanese Armed Force, signed a political declaration to end the current political crisis.
- The political declaration comprised of 14 items, most notably the reappointment of Hamdok as prime minister, considering the constitutional document as the constitutional reference for the transitional period, releasing of the political detainees, completing of the transitional period institutions, and investigating the killing and injury of civilians and military personnel during the recent demonstrations.
National Health Mission, J&K receives award for Swasthya Nidhi Survey App at 4th Digital Transformation Awards Summit
The National Health Mission, J&K received award for Swasthya Nidhi Survey App in the Health Category at fourth Digital Transformation Awards Summit titled ‘Towards Integrated Digital Health Infrastructure’ organized by Governance Now.
- The project was appreciated at the national-level for leveraging digital approach to track suspicious COVID-19 patients and to take timely action.
NGO Pratham awarded Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development
The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2021 has been awarded to civil society organisation Pratham for its pioneering work in improving the quality of education for underprivileged children in India and across the world.
- The 2021 Prize is awarded to Pratham for its pioneering work over more than a quarter century in seeking to ensure that every child has access to quality education, for its innovative use of digital technology to deliver education, for its programmes to provide skills to young adults, for its regular evaluation of quality education and for its timely response in enabling children to learn during the COVID-19 related school closures.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Bengaluru airport first in South Asia to launch Rosenbauer firefighting simulator
The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) here has become the first airport in South Asia to commission a Rosenbauer Tactical Simulator which allows firefighters to train in a realistic environment and be battle-ready for extreme aircraft fire emergencies.
- The simulator will also help the firefighters master the tactical use of Rosenbauer Panther trucks as well as operate High Reach Extendable Turrets (HRET).
- The state-of-the-art facility will be open for firefighters from other airports (in India and abroad), State Fire Departments and Defence Forces, according to the Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL).
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Resolved: Uniting Nations in a Divided World” book by Former UN Secretary General – Ban Ki-moon
The book titled “Resolved: Uniting Nations in a Divided World” written by Former UN Secretary General – Ban Ki-moon has been released recently.
- An autobiography consists of life experiences and challenges that the author faced in his life & elaborates his tenure in the United Nations (UN). He served as the 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations for a two 5-year term (2007-2016).
Art historian BN Goswamy’s book on Indian arts to release in 2022
Celebrated art historian and critic BN Goswamy’s latest will be hit the stands next year, Penguin Random House India (PRHI) announced the acquisition.
- The book, titled ”Conversations: India’s Leading Art Historian Engages with 101 themes, and More”, will be published under the Penguin’s ‘Allen Lane’ imprint.
- With this book, Goswamy opens a window to a wide range of subjects: on and around the arts. It not only invites those interested and literate in arts but also the general readers who want to take a dive into the field of the arts.
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week 2021
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week observed this year from November 18 to November 24. The event’s major objective is to raise global awareness of antibiotic or antimicrobial resistance.
- The theme for WAAW 2021 is: Spread awareness, stop resistance.While World Antimicrobial Awareness Week’s primary tagline is ‘Antimicrobials: Handle with Care.’