Daily Current Affairs 24 November 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India’s first centre of excellence for green port & shipping launched
Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal announced India’s first National Centre of Excellence for Green Port & Shipping (NCoEGPS) a major initiative by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping towards providing greener solutions. The announcement was made by the Union Minister at the recently concluded “INMARCO 2022” in Mumbai.
- The centre aims to develop a regulatory framework and alternate technology adoption road map for Green Shipping to foster carbon neutrality and circular economy (CE) in shipping sector in India.
- India intends to increase the share of renewable energy to 60% of the total power demand of each of its major ports from a present share of less than 10%. This will be through solar and wind-generated power.
Mumbai becomes the first city in South Asia to top CDP’s climate action list
Mumbai has become the first Indian city to be added to the A-list in the 5th Annual Cities Report published by CDP, a non-profit organisation that runs the world’s environmental disclosure system for companies, cities, states, and regions – recognises the important role that cities play in taking bold actions to mitigate and adopt to climate change.
- 122 cities across the globe have been named as leaders in environmental action and transparency in 2022 by CDP. For the first time, this includes cities from several countries in the Global South, including Mumbai; cities that are often among those most affected by the impacts of climate change.
- The city has recently released its first-ever Climate Action Plan in 2022, ‘Towards a Climate Resilient Mumbai’. It outlines the aims to reach net-zero carbon neutrality by 2050 – the most significant step taken in its climate journey thus far.
In a first, turbaned Sikh appointed Dy Mayor of Canada’s Brampton
Harkirat Singh has become the first turbaned Sikh to be appointed as Deputy Mayor of Canada’s Brampton city for a four-year term period from 2022-2026. He has served as Brampton’s City Councillor for Wards 9 and 10 from 2018-2022.
- Before his role as City Councillor, Singh served a four-year term as School Trustee at the Peel District School Board. As a Trustee, he sat on the Audit Committee, Instructional Program/Curriculum Committee, and Physical Building and Planning Committee.
Matrix awarded Partner of the Year 2022 by Procter & Gamble
Chennai-based Matrix Business Services India Pvt. Ltd was awarded “Partner of the Year 2022″ by Procter & Gamble (P&G) in Cincinnati, USA, for their contribution in transforming their business processes.
- Matrix was among the 11 external business partners (EBPs) chosen from a global network of over 50,000 for the year 2021 – 22.
- This is a wonderful acknowledgment of Matrix’s expertise in running an end-to-end business process in such a complex and niche area like Trade Fund Management, that too across several countries.
Youngest entrepreneur Ravi Kumar Sagar conferred with the prestigious Dr. Kalam Seva Puraskar
Ravi Kumar Sagar, 22, one of the youngest founders and CEO of RK’S INNO group was conferred with the most prestigious Dr. Abdul Kalam Seva Puraskar.
- The award was presented to him for his persistent service to society and is one of the youngest entrepreneurs in India.
- Dr. Kalam Seva Purasakar is hosted every year by Vandhe Bharat Foundation and LeadIndia Foundation to commemorate the birth anniversary of the late former President of India Dr. APJ Adul Kalam. The award is conferred to the deserving candidates on the birth anniversary of Dr. Kalam for recognizing various people who have been doing extraordinary work for society.
Cuttack Bali Yatra enters Guinness Book of World Records
The famous Cuttack Baliyatra etched its name in the Guinness Book of World Records at an event organised by the Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) at the fair.
- More than 2,100 school students of 22 schools made over 22,000 paper boats in 35 minutes, creating the world record.
- Cuttack district Collector Bhabani Shankar Chayani, Cuttack Mayor Subash Singh and around 50 officials of the Guinness Book of World Records, including one from London, were present on the occasion.
India’s Purnima Devi Barman honoured with U.N.’s highest environmental award
Indian wildlife biologist Dr Purnima Devi Barman is among the honourees of this year’s Champions of the Earth award, the UN’s highest environmental honour, accorded for their transformative action to prevent, halt and reverse ecosystem degradation.
- Barman has been honoured with the UN Environment Programme’s (UNEP) 2022 Champions of the Earth award in the Entrepreneurial Vision category.
- A wildlife biologist, Barman leads the “Hargila Army”, an all-female grassroots conservation movement dedicated to protecting the Greater Adjutant Stork from extinction. The women create and sell textiles with motifs of the bird, helping to raise awareness about the species while building their own financial independence.
Zorba, the first dog of anti-poaching dogs squad K9, passes away
Zorba, India’s first dog to be deployed for tracking down poachers, has died of old age in Guwahati. The 12-year-old male Belgian Malinois was a member of ‘K9’, the nation’s first dog squad to fight wildlife crime.
- Zorba was the first dog of the squad and he was credited with helping law enforcement authorities nab over 60 poachers. He was given teary farewell by wildlife activists and was buried.
Former Indian football captain Babu Mani passes away at 59
Former Indian football captain Babu Mani, who was an integral part of the Indian football team in the 1980s, died after a prolonged battle with liver-related issues. He was 59.
- Babu Mani made his India debut against Argentina in Kolkata during the 1984 Nehru Cup and went on to play 55 matches for the country. He was also a part of the first Indian squad to qualify for the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Asian Cup in 1984 and went on to play in the tournament in Singapore.
- He also played for and won various domestic football cups like Federation Cup, IFA shield, Durand Cup, Rovers Cup trophies for Kolkata’s top three clubs, Mohammedan Sporting, Mohan Bagan and East Bengal.
Rasna founder Areez Pirojshaw Khambatta passes away
Areez Pirojshaw Khambatta, the founding chairman of the popular drink Rasna, passed away in Ahmedabad due to a cardiac arrest, the company said. He was 85.
- Decades back, his father Phiroja Khambatta started a modest business which Areez took to being the largest concentrate manufacturer in the world, with a presence in over 60 countries.
- He created affordable soft drink packs of Rasna in the 1970s as an alternative to soft drink products sold at high costs. It is sold at 1.8 million retail outlets in the country.