Daily Current Affairs 24 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to spend USD 50 billion on water conservatism: PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India will spend approximately USD 50 billion on water conservation, rainwater harvesting, and the development of water resources in the next few years under the Jal-Jeevan Mission.
India to eradicate Tuberculosis by 2025: PM Modi
India has set the goal of eradicating the Tuberculosis by 2025, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, noting that the dateline is five years ahead of that set by the United Nations under its sustainable development goals.
Shah launches portal for private security agency licencing
Union Home Minister Amit Shah launched a government web portal to help private security agencies get the licence. ‘Private Security Agency Licensing Portal’ will help private agencies in police verification of security guards, expand their business across the country apart from providing other facilities.
Govt announces new medical college for Leh
In a major development to revitalize health and medical education in the Himalayan region, the Central government announced a new medical college for the Leh district of Ladakh region.
Delhi: Sisodia flags off ‘Anaemia Mukt’ vans in Delhi
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia flagged off ‘Anaemia Mukt’ vans as part of the Anaemia Mukt Bharat, a centre-run programme.
- These vans will go to every district of Delhi and collect blood samples of children. Along with this, data will also be collected so that children can be properly treated in time.
- These vans are being run under National Nutrition Month by the Department of Women and Child Development and Health and Family Welfare Department.
Delhi govt first in country to implement Street Vendors Act, says CM Kejriwal
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that Delhi government has become the first government in the country to implement the Street Vendors Act.
- The Chief Minister said the street vendors will be provided with a certificate which will act as their legal status and stop their extortion.
Pink tickets for women for free travel in DTC, cluster buses; DTC board approves scheme
Pink tickets will be issued to women passengers under the Delhi government’s scheme for free travel in DTC and cluster buses which was approved by the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) board.The scheme has been approved till March 2020 and it will be rolled out on Bhai Dooj on October 29.
Madurai: First transgender library opens in India
For the first time in India, a transgender library has been opened as part of the transgender resource centre in Viswanathapuram, Madurai to increase awareness about the ambisexual people in the country.
- Launched in 2016, the centre focuses on the promotion of transgender people and making people aware of the no-binary gender.
21st session of WHO-FAO coordinating committee of Asia held
The 21st session of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and World Health Organisation (WHO) Coordinating Committee was held in Panaji, Goa.
- The objective of the session is to focus on food and safety at primary production involving issues and best practices for an evolving region, critical and emerging issues related to food safety for the region with an effort to identify focused action areas and exploring possibilities of mutual cooperation.
India-US tri-services ‘Exercise Tiger Triumph’ scheduled for November
India and the United States are set to hold their first tri-services exercise codenamed Tiger Triumph at Visakhapatnam and Kakinada in November this year.
PM Modi inaugurates Gandhi Museum at a community event in Houston
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Eternal Gandhi Museum in Houston, USA. The Eternal Gandhi museum will be a prized cultural landmark in Houston.
- Meanwhile, the Prime Minister, also inaugurated the Gujarati Samaj Houston Event Centre along with Shri Siddhi Vinayak Temple here.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI caps term for banks’ concurrent auditor at three years
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) revised the guidelines on concurrent audit system following the recommendations by an expert committee under Y.H. Malegam. According to the revised guidelines, RBI said that concurrent auditors will be appointed for a period of not more than three years.
- Earlier the tenure of external concurrent auditors was fixed at five years on a continuous basis. RBI also added that the age limit for retired staff engaged as concurrent auditors may be capped at 70 years.
RBI restricts activities of PMC Bank due to heightened risks
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has restricted activities of Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank (PMC Bank) for six months and asked it to not grant or renew any loans and advances, make any investment or incur any liability, including borrowal of funds and acceptance of fresh deposits.
Malvika claims maiden title at Maldives International
Young Indian shuttler Malvika Bansod has claimed her maiden title at the Maldives International Future Series with a stunning straight-game win over top seed Thet Htar Thuzar of Myanmar in women’s singles.
- Indian pair of Vaibhaav and Prakash Raj, also claimed the men’s doubles title.
Divij Sharan bags St. Petersburg Open doubles title
Indian tennis player Divij Sharan clinched the men’s doubles title in ATP Tour tennis tournament in St. Petersburg, Russia. Divij Sharan Open with partner Igor Zelenay from Slovakia.
Daniil Medvedev won St Petersburg Open title
Daniil Medvedev won a sixth career title as he defeated Borna Coric 6-3, 6-1 in the final of the St Petersburg Open, Russia.
Lionel Messi, Megan Rapinoe named FIFA players of the year
Argentine star Lionel Messi bagged his sixth FIFA Men’s Player of the Year award while US’ Megan Rapinoe, who captained her team to victory in this year’s World Cup, has been named Women’s Player of the Year.
Jurgen Klopp, Jill Ellis wins Best FIFA Coach of the Year award
Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp was awarded the Best FIFA Men’s Coach of the Year at The Best FIFA Football Awards ceremony in Milan.
- USA’s FIFA World Cup-winning coach Jill Ellis was given the Best Women’s Coach award.
Ponung Doming becomes Arunachal’s first woman Lieutenant Colonel
Army officer Ponung Doming has became the first woman officer from the Arunachal Pradesh to be elevated to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Army.
Former India cricketer Madhav Apte passes away
Former India cricketer Madhav Apte has passed away at the age of 86. In his seven Tests for India in 1952-53, Apte averaged 49.27, the highlight being a match-saving, unbeaten 163 against West Indies in Port of Spain.