Current Affairs 24th March, 2017
Nabard launches water conservation campaign in Karnataka
Nabard will help Karnataka with low-cost technologies for water conservation and efficient use of water in the drought-affected districts.
- The main focus of the save water programme would be to create awareness and to cover maximum number of villages in the districts.
Office of the Insurance Ombudsman, Delhi achieves ISO 9001:2015 (QMS) certification
The Office of the Insurance Ombudsman, Delhi established under Redressal of Public Grievances, 1998, to deal with consumer complaints against the Insurance Companies operating in General Insurance business and Life Insurance business has been awarded ISO 9001:2015 certification by Standardisation, Testing and Quality Certification for Quality Management Standard (QMS).
World Bank signs US$ 100 million credit agreement with Centre, Uttarakhand
The World Bank has signed a 100 million US dollar credit agreement with the Centre and Uttarakhand to improve quality of health care services in all 13 districts of the state.
23rd Conference of Auditors General of Commonwealth Countries and British Overseas Territories held in New Delhi
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley addressed the auditors general of the commonwealth nations and British overseas territories.
- The 3-day conference is being held in India for the first time, hosted by Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG).
Govt removes 1% TCS on cash purchase above Rs 2 lakh
The government has done away with the one per cent tax on cash payments of over 2 lakh rupees for purchase of any goods or service after it banned cash dealings above that limit from 1st of April.
- The government in the previous Budget had provided for the seller to collect tax at the rate of 1 per cent from the purchaser on sale in cash of any goods or offering any services exceeding 2 lakh rupees.
Govt set objective that no untreated municipal sewage will be discharged into River Ganga by 2020
Minister of State for River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Vijay Goyal said the government has set an objective that no untreated municipal sewage or industrial effluent will be discharged into River Ganga by 2020 under Namami Gange programme.
Rs 5,021-crore central assistance to disaster-affected states
A high-level committee chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has approved a total of nearly Rs 5,021-crore assistance to 10 states affected by natural disasters.
- Andhra Pradesh will get Rs 584.21 crore, Assam Rs 269.40 crore, Bihar Rs 822.96 crore, Himachal Pradesh Rs 152.28 crore, Karnataka Rs 171.69 crore, Manipur Rs 19.11 crore, Rajasthan Rs 370.27 crore, Tamil Nadu Rs 2014.45 crore, Telangana Rs 314.22 crore, and Uttar Pradesh Rs 303.05 crore.
Andhra Pradesh tops in Aadhaar seeding of Jan Dhan a/cs
Post demonetisation of specified bank notes on November 8, 2016, more accounts under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) have been seeded with Aadhaar numbers.
- As on March 15, Andhra Pradesh had linked 87.73 per cent of its Jan-Dhan accounts with Aadhaar numbers. This was followed by Tripura at 87.08 per cent and Telangana 83.56 per cent.
UP bans pan, tobacco in schools, colleges, govt buildings
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has banned the use of pan and tobacco products in schools, colleges, hospitals and other government buildings.
- After being assigned the charge of India’s most politically-crucial state, Adityanath assured that Uttar Pradesh would soon be considered as the supreme state in the country.
Karnataka announces Rs10-crore fund for women entrepreneurs
Karnataka has announced an Idea2POC (Proof of Concept) fund of Rs10 crore for women entrepreneurs.
- Under this (Idea2POC) scheme, the Karnataka Department of IT, BT and S&T will fund upto Rs50 lakh for any woman innovator looking for funds for Proof of Concept validation, certification, and cover costs in manufacturing of pilot devices.
AP inks pact with Singapore firm for fintech centre in Vizag
The Andhra Pradesh government and Singapore-based Fintech major Lattice 80, have signed a memorandum of understanding for establishment of a fintech incubation centre.
Bengaluru becomes India’s first city to have vertical gardens
In a first in India, Bengaluru got its first vertical garden, which it hopes will help in lowering the pollution levels of the city.
- The first vertical garden is adorned with over 3500 plants of 10 different species. The garden is an initiative of SayTrees and its setup at the Hosur Road Electronics City Flyover.
SBI chief Bhattacharya 26th in Fortune’s 50 greatest leaders
State Bank of India (SBI) chief Arundhati Bhattacharya has been ranked 26th in the Fortune’s top 50 greatest leaders. She is the only Indian corporate leader in the list.
- The 61-year-old professional banker had been appointed to the coveted post of SBI Chairperson in October 2013 and was ranked by Forbes as 25th most powerful woman in the world in 2016.
- Theo Epstein, president of Chicago Cubs tops the ranks of the greatest global leaders in business, government, philanthropy, and the arts, followed by Alibaba founder Jack Ma, Pope Francis, Melinda Gates, and Jeff Bezos.
Shashank Manohar agrees to continue as ICC chairman
International Cricket Council (ICC) Chairman Shashank Manohar has now agreed to defer his recent resignation following the board resolution requesting him to remain in the post was passed with overwhelming support earlier this week.
- On March 15, Manohar, who was elected unopposed as the ICC’s first independent chairman in May 2016 for a two-year term, resigned from the post because of personal reasons.
Amazon India brings out ‘A—Z GST Guide’ programme
E-commerce major Amazon India has come out with a new programme for sellers to get insights and help related to the goods and services tax (GST), which is set to be rolled out from July 1.
- Called the ‘A-Z GST Guide’, the programme in its pilot phase has already helped train over 5,000 sellers on the Amazon platform to get ready for GST.
- The portal provides resources in the form of tutorials, blogs and free online training sessions.
Google to set up Cloud Region with Mumbai as HQ
As adoption of public cloud increases in India, Google is setting up a Cloud Region in the country later this year. The Cloud Region, to be head-quartered in Mumbai, will have three zones, covering the whole of the country.
Radha Mohan Singh launched Coffee Table Book titled “50 Years – The Great Indian Milk Revolution”
The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh launched Coffee Table Book titled “50 Years – The Great Indian Milk Revolution” commemorating National Dairy Development Board’s (NDDB) Golden Jubilee year.
- NDDB was established to serve milk producers through cooperative and to guide dairy farmers.
Vani wins women’s domestic golf title
New Delhi’s Vani Kapoor carded three-over 74 in the final round to claim her second title in the sixth leg of the Hero Women’s Professional Golf Tour 2017 at the Poona Club Golf Course.
Indian para athletes win 8 medals in IPC Athletics Grand Prix
Indian para athletes bagged eight medals, including three gold, in the 9th Fazaa International IPC Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai. India are currently at the seventh spot With 3 gold, 1 silver and 4 bronze medals out of 48 participating countries.
India bags 18 medals in Olympics World Winter Games in Austria
India’s special athletes continue to make India proud by winning 18 medals so far in the ongoing 2017 Olympics World Winter Games in Austria. The medal tally includes six gold, four silver and eight bronze. The team of 89 differently-abled sports persons of the Special Olympics Bharat (SOB) is participating in the competition. Over 2,600 athletes from 105 nations are taking part in the event.
World’s largest ‘artificial Sun’ switched on in Germany
German scientists are testing an ‘artificial Sun’, a massive light array for making hydrogen fuel by dissociating water molecules. The array consists of 140 Xenon lamps, typically used as cinematic spotlights, in a honeycomb pattern focused on an 8-inch-by-8-inch patch.
Popular Tamil writer Asokamitran passes away
Noted Tamil litterateur, Thiagarajan, popularly known as Asokamitran has passed away.