Daily Current Affairs 25 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
US President Donald Trump two days visit to India
The 45th President of the United States Donald Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared Kushner arrived at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport in Ahmedabad for a two-day visit to India. This is Donald Trump’s first state visit to India.PM Modi, President Trump, First Lady Melania visited Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
- PM Modi and President Trump are inaugurated Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium in Motera and President Trump and Melania reached Agra for visiting Taj Mahal.
- On the second day of his visit to India, President Trump hold bilateral meetings.
- India and the US held talks in five major categories – security, defence, energy, technology and people to people contact, with President Donald Trump assuring India highest consideration for collaboration in defence sector
- US President Donald informed that India to purchase over $3 billion defence equipment from the US
AP CM Jagan Mohan launches ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’ scheme for Students
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched yet another scheme named after him ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’ in Vizianagaram district in north coastal Andhra.
Under the ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’ scheme
- which a financial assistance of Rs 2,300 crore would be provided to students pursuing various post-Intermediate courses to meet hostel and mess expenses
Saudi Arabia hosts G20 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting 2020
Saudi Arabia will be hosting the 2020 G20 Leaders’ Summit scheduled for 21-22 November. Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan announced that during a news conference at the end of the meetings of Finance ministers and central bank governors of the G20, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- The meeting in Saudi Arabia, the first Arab nation to hold the G20 presidency, will be chaired by the kingdom’s finance minister Mohammed al-Jadaan and central bank governor Ahmed al-Kholifey.
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD sanctions Rs 400.64 Cr to boost infrastructure in J&K
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned an amount of 400.64 crore rupees to UT of J&K during the current financial year for giving boost to the infrastructure in the rural areas. The funding is a part of the NABARD’s ‘Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) – Trench XXV’ which aims at augmenting rural infrastructure.
- The Bank has sanctioned 209.87 crore rupees for construction of 82 rural roads and 03 bridges earlier this year.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Mumbai airport gets world’s largest ‘Export Cold Zone’ to Store Agro, Pharma Products
Mumbai airport became home to the world’s largest airport-based temperature-controlled facility-the Export Cold Zone.
- The terminal houses various facilities for the processing and storage of agriculture and pharmaceutical products, for which Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport is the largest export gateway.
- The exclusive terminal can hold over 700 tonnes of such cargo at one time with a combined annual capacity of 5.25 lakh tonnes.
US becomes India’s top trading partner, surpassing China
According to the data of the commerce ministry, in 2018-19, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at USD 87.95 billion. With this, the US has surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner, showing greater economic ties between the two countries.During the period, India’s two-way commerce with China aggregated at USD 87.07 billion.
- Trade experts believe that the trend will continue in the coming years also as New Delhi and Washington are engaged in further deepening the economic ties.
11-year-old Jiya Rai creates world record in open water swimming
Ms Jiya Rai, an eleven year old daughter of Madan Rai, Master Chief at Arms II, posted in INS Shikra, created a world record by becoming the fastest special girl to swim 14 Km in open water.
- The VI standard student of Navy Children School (NCS), Mumbai swam from Elephanta Island to Gateway of India, a distance of 14 Km in 03 hours 27 minutes and 30 seconds.The solo swimming event was conducted under the supervision of Swimming Association of Maharashtra, an authorized body of Swimming Federation of India.
ICC bans Omani player Yousuf Abdulrahim Al Balushi from cricket for 7 years
The ICC has banned Oman player Yousuf Al Balushi from all cricket for seven years after he accepted four charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
- The charges relate to attempting to influence team members to engage in corruption during the 2019 T20 World Cup Qualifier, played in the UAE.
South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar sworn in as vice president
South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar was sworn in as first vice president, formally rejoining the government in the latest bid to bring peace to a nation ravaged by six years of war.
- Machar embraced and shook hands with his bitter rival President Salva Kiir, with whom he will be attempting to govern for the third time since the country’s independence in 2011.
Hrithik Roshan awarded as the Best Actor in Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival 2020
Hrithik Roshan won the Best Actor award for his performance in the film Super 30, which also won the Best Film at the 10th Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival in New Delhi.
Complete list of winners:
- Best Film – Super 30
- Best Actor – Hrithik Roshan
- Most Promising Actor – Kiccha Sudeep
- Best Actor in Television Series – Dheeraj Dhoopar
- Best Actress in Television – Divyanka Tripathi
- Most Favourite Television Actor – Harshad Chopda
- Most Favourite Jodi in Television Series – Sriti Jha and Shabbir Ahluwalia (Kumkum Bhagya)
- Best Reality Show – Bigg Boss 13
- Best Television Series – Kumkum Bhagya
- Best Playback Singer Male – Armaan Malik
Mangalore’s Adline Castelino won LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2020 title
Adline Castelino has been crowned as the winner of LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2020 competition.
- Castelino, who hails from Mangalore, was crowned by Vartika Singh, the winner of the previous edition, at an event in YRF Studios.
- She will be representing India at Miss Universe pageant 2020.
Three-time MP, Netaji kin Krishna Bose passed away
Krishna Bose, former Lok Sabha MP and wife of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s nephew Sisir Kumar Bose, passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. She was 89.
- Ms. Bose joined politics in the mid-1990s. She was close to Trinamool Congress chairperson and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. She was elected from the Jadavpur Lok Sabha seat in 1998 and 1999 on TMC ticket.
- She was elected from the same seat on a Congress ticket in 1996. During her time in the Lok Sabha, she was the Chairperson of the Committee on External Affairs and served as a member in several other important committees.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Manmohan singh released the books “who is bharat mata ” in Both English and Kannada versions
Former Prime Minister of India Dr Manmohan Singh released the book ‘Who is Bharat Mata’ by Prof Purushottam Agrawal and its Kannada translation ‘Yaaru Bharat Maate?’ by Prof K E Radhakrishna.
- The book has been published by Swapna Book House, Bengaluru in association with Delhi Karnataka Sangha.
Vice President Venkaiah naidu released Sadhguru’s book ‘Death-An Inside Story’
Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu released the book titled ‘Death – An Inside Story’ authored by Sadhguru, Founder, Isha Foundation.
- The Vice-President was the chief guest at the 26th Maha Sivaratri celebrations at Isha Yoga Centre in Tamil Nadu.