Daily Current Affairs 25 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India offers to create digital villages in ASEAN countries: PM Modi
India has offered to enhance rural connectivity in fellow Association of Southeast Asian Nations during the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit.
- Addressing the Plenary Session of the summit, Prime Minister, Narendra Modi said, “India offers to undertake a pilot project on rural connectivity, which would create digital villages in Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Viet Nam. Success of this project could be replicated in other ASEAN countries.”
- PM Modi also proposed the ASEAN countries declare 2019 as the ASEAN-India Year of Tourism.
India Ranks 177th in Environmental Performance Index
India ranks 177 among 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) 2018, according to a biennial report by Yale and Columbia Universities along with the World Economic Forum.
- The report was released on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Switzerland leads the list, followed by France, Denmark and Malta.
NSIC inks pact with Malaysia’s SME Corp
National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) signed an MoU with SME Corporation Malaysia for exchange of information and cooperation in areas such as policies to aid development of small and medium businesses (SMBs) in the two countries.
- The two entities will also work together for improving competitiveness of Indian and Malaysian MSMEs in global markets and other forms of technical collaboration.
Kolkata becomes first Indian metro to get a floating market
Kolkata is now witness to a floating market, the first of its kind across any metro. The market, as the name suggests, will be located on a water-body with boats doubling up as shops.
- The aim is to rehabilitate over 200 shopkeepers from a nearby market that was demolished for the widening of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass — an important road that connects the northern parts of the city to the eastern and southern tips.
NASA launches GOLD mission to study Earth’s boundary with space
NASA has launched Global-scale Observations of the Limb and Disk, or GOLD, mission to to study the dynamic region where space and Earth’s uppermost atmosphere meet.
- It is the first NASA science mission to fly an instrument as a commercially hosted payload.
- The mission will fly aboard SES-14, a commercial communications satellite.
Ashok Lavasa takes over as new Election Commissioner
Ashok Lavasa has assumed charge as the new Election Commissioner (EC) of India. Born on 21st October, 1957, Shri Lavasa a 1980 batch IAS officer from Haryana cadre, superannuated on 31st October, 2017 as Finance Secretary of India.
- During 37 years of his long active service he held various crucial positions in State Government of Haryana and in the Central Government.
Usha Ananthasubramanian appointed first woman IBA chief
Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD and CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected the first woman chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- Rajnish Kumar, Chairman, State Bank of India, was elected Deputy Chairman of IBA for the year 2017-18.