Daily Current Affairs 25 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launches Sujalam 2.0 campaign for greywater management in New Delhi
PicsJal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has launched the Sujalam 2.0 campaign for greywater management.
- Inder the Campaign government will mobilize Communities, Panchayats, Schools, Anganwadis to undertake greywater management. Over six lakh villages will see intense activity on Solid and Liquid Waste Management.
- The theme for this year’s campaign is Groundwater: making the invisible visible.
Asia’s largest Civil Aviation event ‘WINGS INDIA 2022’, starts in Hyderabad
Asia’s largest event on Civil Aviation, Wings India 2022 has kicked off at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad. Led by the Ministry of Civil Aviation of India (MoCA) and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) jointly, the theme of the event this year is ‘India@75: New Horizon for Aviation Industry’.
- The first two days will be business days and the rest for the general public.
- Wings India’s components are Exhibition, Conference, Chalets, CEOs Forum, Static Display, Media Conferences, and Awards. Conference on Civil Aviation sector with a focus on policy issues and business aspects are being held concurrently.
Foreign Minister of Oman pays two-day official visit to India
Foreign Minister of Oman Sayyid Badr Hamad Hamood Al Busaidi pay a two-day official visit to India at the invitation of External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar. Both Ministers met and undertake a comprehensive review of the progress made in the bilateral strategic partnership between the two countries.
- They will also exchange views on recent regional and international developments. India and Oman have continued close cooperation during the Covid pandemic and maintained high-level contacts.
Union Cabinet approves merger of three MCDs into one
The Union Cabinet has approved a bill for the unification of Delhi’s three Municipal corporations into one Municipal Corporation.
- Thebill is expected to be tabled in the ongoing budget session of Parliament. After unification of three corporations, Delhi will have one Mayor in place of existing three Mayors.
- The erstwhile Delhi Municipal Corporation was trifurcated into three Municipal Corporations – South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC), North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), and East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) in the year 2012.
PM Modi inaugurates Biplobi Bharat Gallery at Victoria Memorial Hall in Kolkata on Shaheed Diwas
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on the occasion of Shaheed Diwas, virtually inaugurated the Biplobi Bharat Gallery at Victoria Memorial Hall in Kolkata.
- The gallery provides a holistic view of the events that led to Independence, highlighting the contributions of revolutionaries in the freedom struggle.
- The gallery displays the contribution of the revolutionaries in the freedom struggle and their armed resistance to British colonial rule. This aspect has often not been given its due place in the mainstream narrative of the freedom movement.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank launches co-branded credit card in pact with CSK
Leading private lender ICICI Bank has launched a co-branded credit card in partnership with Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
- The ‘Chennai Super Kings ICICI Bank Credit Card’ has been specially designed with a range of exclusive privileges for millions of cricket fans of the iconic team.
- The new card is another addition to an exclusive set of co-branded credit cards offered by the bank to enable sports enthusiasts to connect with their favourite teams and avail benefits of a credit card.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s 2022 GDP Growth Downgraded to 4.6% Due to Ongoing War in Ukraine: UN Report
India’s projected economic growth for 2022 has been downgraded by over two per cent to 4.6% by the United Nations, a decrease attributed to the ongoing war in Ukraine, with New Delhi expected to face restraints on energy access and prices, reflexes from trade sanctions, food inflation, tightening policies and financial instability, according to a UN report released.
- The UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) report downgraded its global economic growth projection for 2022 to 2.6% from 3.6% due to shocks from the Ukraine war and changes in macroeconomic policies that put developing countries particularly at risk.
- India was forecast to grow at 6.7 per cent in 2022 and this projection has been downgraded to 4.6 per cent by UNCTAD.
India achieves highest ever goods export target of 400 billion US dollar: PM Modi
India has scripted history by achieving its highest ever goods export target of 400 billion US dollars. The target was achieved nine days ahead of schedule.
- The country’s exports for the first time crossed the USD 400 billion mark in a fiscal on healthy performance by sectors such as petroleum products, engineering, gems and jewellery, and chemicals, according to the commerce ministry’s data released.
- Imports during the period stood at USD 589 billion, leaving a trade deficit of about USD 189 billion.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
HDFC Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank and Axis Bank acquire 7.84% stake each in ONDC
Private sector lenders HDFC Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank and Axis Bank have acquired 7.84 per cent stake each in the open public digital infrastructure framework entity ONDC.All the three banks have invested Rs 10 crore each.
- HDFC Bank said it now owns 7.84 percent of ONDC’s equity share capital after allotting 10 lakh equity shares for Rs 10 crore.
- “Kotak Mahindra Bank has subscribed to 10,00,000 equity shares of Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) for Rs 10 crore, translating into an equity shareholding of 7.84 percent in ONDC as of March 22,,” according to another filing.
- Axis Bank said in a separate filing that ONDC allotted 10,00,000 equity shares with a face value of Rs 100 apiece for a consideration of Rs 10 crore on March 22.
- The bank now owns 7.84 percent of ONDC following the allotment
Sprinter Pranav Prashant Desai wins India’s first gold at World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai
Sprinter Pranav Prashant Desai won India’s first gold medal at the 2022 World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai, claiming the top prize in the men’s 200 metre T64 final. Desai, a former gold medallist at the Fazza Championships, led from start to finish to end the race in 24.42 seconds.
- The day also witnessed a world record in men’s javelin F40 finals when Iraq’s Naas Ahmed hurled the javelin to a distance of 39.08 metres to take the gold.
Ravindra Jadeja reclaims No 1 spot in ICC Men’s Test Rankings for all-rounders
India’s National Cricket Team spin-bowling all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has reclaimed the No.1 spot in the ICC Men’s Test Rankings for all-rounders. The 33-year-old Indian all-rounder Jadeja was in sensational form in the recently concluded two-match Test series against the Dimuth Karunaratne-led Sri Lanka National Cricket Team.
- Now, Ravindra Jadeja has 385 rating points and Jason Holder has slipped to the second spot after his ordinary run and he has 357 rating points in his bag.
- Jadeja’s compatriot Ravichandran Ashwin held on to his third place among all-rounders and continued to be second in the bowlers’ chart.
- India skipper Rohit, the country’s top-ranked batter, fell a spot down to seventh in the latest Test rankings for batters.While former India skipper Virat Kohli and Rishabh Pant remained static on the ninth and 10th place respectively.
- In the ODI chart, Kohli retained his second spot even as Rohit moved down a rung to be fourth among batters.Pakistan captain Babar Azam topped in the list.
- Bumrah, the only Indian in the top 10 in the ODI bowlers’ list , held on to his sixth spot but Ravindra Jadeja moved down a place to 10th alongside Zimbabwe’s Sean Williams.
Dubai 2022 Para Athletics Grand Prix: Ramudri, Dharambir Set Asian Records, Win 2 Golds for India
Indian long jumper Someswara Rao Ramudri and javelin thrower Mohit clinched gold medals in their individual events at the 2022 World Para Athletics Grand Prix.
- Overall, the Indian contingent won six medals on the penultimate day and set two Asian records, thanks to the efforts of Ramudri in long jump men T64 final and paralympian Dharambir in discus wheelchair men F51 final.
- Meanwhile, paralympian Dharambir claimed his second silver medal in the Championships, this time in discus wheelchair men final F51 where he attained a distance of 10.93m.
- In women’s track events, Jayanti Behera claimed the silver medal in 200m women final T46/47 clocking 26.94s, finishing behind USA’s Brittni Mason (26.08s).
- Ishwari Nishad also took second place with a timing of 1:25.50 in 400m women’s final T11. Kenya’s Nancy Chelangat Koech secured the top position clocking 1:04.25.
South African batter provisionally suspended by ICC for failing dope test
South African batter Zubayr Hamza was provisionally suspended by the ICC for failing an out-of-competition dope test.
- Hamza’s dope sample collected out-of-competition on January 17 this year has been found to contain Furosemide, a prohibited substance under the World Anti-Doping Agency Code.
Dr Randeep Guleria Gets Three-month Extension as AIIMS Director
The tenure of Dr Randeep Guleria as the director of AIIMS, New Delhi, has been extended by three months, the premier hospital said. His current term is scheduled to end on March 24.
- He was appointed as AIIMS, New Delhi, director for a term of five years on March 28, 2017. He will complete his tenure on 24.03.2022.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Union Health Minister launches BRICS Vaccine R&D Centre in Delhi
India, having one of the world’s largest vaccine manufacturing industries that supplied vaccines to more than 150 countries and met 65-70% of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO)vaccine requirements, is willing to offer its robust vaccine manufacturing industry for developing vaccines for BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), as well as the world,” Union Health Minister Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya said while launching the BRICS Vaccine R&D Center and Workshop on Vaccine Cooperation through video conference.
- This Centre will help to pool together complementary advantages of BRICS countries in vaccine research and development and boost the capacity of BRICS countries to prevent and control infectious diseases and provide timely help to other developing countries in need.”
- It will should entail basic R&D, preclinical &clinical studies and strengthen BRICS countries laboratory capacities to develop and standardize assays for testing vaccine candidates.
IIT Madras launches AquaMAP Water Management and Policy Centre
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras builds a new interdisciplinary water management and policy centre known as ‘AquaMAP’ to address India’s water issues.
- The centre will build scalable models employing novel technology to provide smart solutions for water concerns. As proof of concept, these models will be installed in various areas across the country.
- Both IIT Madras alumni, have supported this project by contributing a seed grant of Rs 3 crore for two years and also assisting in the development of the five-year plan.
IIT Madras and TCS partner to launch M.Tech in Industrial Artificial Intelligence
Indian Institute of Technology Madras has partnered with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to launch a web-enabled, user-oriented program on “Industrial AI” that is targeted at upskilling employees incorporates the applications of AI to industrial problems.
- The 18-month-long course, designed in consultation with TCS, will be offered by IIT M in a completely online live teaching mode through virtual classrooms. The first cohort of students for the program will be from TCS.
Union Health Minister inspects India’s first Mobile Biosafety-03 Lab manufactured by ICMR in Delhi
Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya inspected India’s first Mobile Biosafety-03 Lab manufactured by Indian Council of Medical Research in Delhi.
- Mr Mandaviya said, the mobile lab is capable of testing for viral infections. He said, this will help in preventing viral infections in future.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“The Little Book of Joy” book by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu
A picture book edition co-authored by Nobel Peace Prize winners 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso) & Archbishop Desmond Tutu, titled “The Little Book of Joy” will be released in September 2022.
- The illustrations provided by artist Rafael López and Rachel Neumann & Douglas Abrams collaborated on the text.
- This book focuses on the meaning of true happiness, which is not in the materialistic world but lies in the nature of human beings.