Daily Current Affairs 25 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
HM chairs 12th meeting of standing Committee of Inter-State Council
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the 12th meeting of the Standing Committee of Inter-State Council (ISC) in New Delhi. The meeting discussed matters related to financial transfers from the centre to the states, Goods and Services Tax (GST), maintenance of communal harmony, deployment of central forces, migration issues, police reforms, structure and devolution of functions to local bodies, district planning, special provisions for Fifth and Sixth Schedule areas, criminal justice system and other internal security issues.
- ISC considered the 118 recommendations contained in the Punchchi Commission report and finalised it. The central government in 2005 set up the Punchhi Commission, under the chairmanship of former Chief Justice of India Madan Mohan Punchhi.
Consultative Workshop on New National Policy on Biofuels held in New Delhi
A consultative workshop on New National Policy on Biofuels & Pradhan Mantri Ji- Van Yojana (VGF for 2nd Generation Ethanol Bio Refineries) was organised in New Delhi by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas for inviting suggestions for drafting a suitable roadmap for Biofuels in India.
- The workshop was organised as the government is promoting Biofuels with an objective to reduce dependency on import of crude oil, savings in foreign exchange, provide better remuneration for the farmers and address growing environment concerns in the light of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Commitment at COP 21.
President inaugurates International Gita Mahotsav in Kurukshetra
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Gita Mahotsava-2017 today (November 25, 2017) in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that the message of the Gita is relevant for all times to come. From an ancient society based on agriculture to a society based on commerce and industry, and now to a knowledge society – the message of the Gita has been everlasting.
Two-Day Korea Tourism Festival 2017 Opens In Gurugram
A two-day Korea festival showcasing Korea’s rich art, culture and heritage was inaugurated by Korea Tourism Organisation (KTO) Executive Vice President Min Hong Min at the Ambience Mall in Gurugram, Haryana along with Joint Secretary in the Ministry Of Tourism Suman Billa.
MHA conducts Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) conducted Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017 along the entire East Coast in 31 coastal districts across four states-West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu and Puducherry (UT) on November 24.
- It was conducted through National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS).
- It was first-of-its-kind multi-State mega mock exercise on tsunami preparedness covering the entire eastern coastline of the country.
Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX-17) Concludes
Defence of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX) was conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command. The five day exercise started on 20 Nov 2017 and culminated on 24 Nov 2017.
- Main objective of the exercise was to practice & validate procedures and drills of all the Command forces aimed at defending Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
Documentary on Arvind Kejriwal, An Insignificant Man, Hit Theatres
A biographical film on the Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) supremo and Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal titled ‘An Insignificant Man’ was finally released on November 17, 2017.
- The film has been directed by Khushboo Ranka and Vina Shukla.
- The film is all about the rise of Kejriwal from relative obscurity to virtual national stardom as a corruption fighter that finally led to him being appointed the Chief Minister of Delhi.
Indian Navy Chief visits Bangladesh for IMMSAREX
Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba is visiting Bangladesh to participate in the International Multilateral Maritime Search and Rescue Exercise (IMMSAREX), the first ever operational exercise held under the aegis of Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) in Bangladesh, from November 26 to 28.
- Indian Naval Ships Ranvir, Sahyadri, Gharial and Sukanya along with one Maritime Patrol Aircraft P-8I will be participating in the exercise.
BANKING & FINANCE
Kotak Mahindra Bank launches “Smart Banking 24×7” e-Lobbies
Kotak Mahindra Bank (Kotak) has launched 24 hour accessible e-Lobbies in the Mumbai suburbs of Juhu and Powai.
- Keeping the convenience of customers in mind, Kotak is expanding the touchpoints available for customers with a new format – “Smart Banking 24×7” e-Lobbies.
- The Kotak Smart Banking e-Lobbies offer 24×7 access to a range of banking services such as cash withdrawals, cash deposits and cheque deposits.
FDI up 17 pc to $25.35 bn during April-Sept this fiscal
Foreign direct investment (FDI) in the country increased by 17 per cent to USD 25.35 billion during April-September this fiscal.
- The department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP) said on its ‘Make in India’ twitter handle that the FDI equity during the current FY 2017-18 (up to September) surged by 17 per cent to USD 25.35 billion from USD 21.62 billion in the year-ago period
Indian football team remains 105th in FIFA rankings
The Indian football team remained static at 105th in the latest FIFA rankings. India drew with Myanmar 2-2 at home in the AFC Asian Cup qualifiers during this ranking period.
- Among the Asian Football Confederation countries, the Indian team occupies 15th position, ahead of the likes of Jordan, North Korea and Bahrain.
- Iran led the Asian rankings while world champions Germany are on top of world rankings.
Goa set to host second World Gaming Festival
The second edition of World Gaming Festival (casino) will be held in Panaji, Goa from November 30 to December 4, the organisers Delta Corp announced.
- The first edition of the festival was held in 2011.
- The upcoming edition will be held on three ships — Deltin Jaqk, Deltin Royale and Deltin Caravela.
Guwahati hosted the World Youth Women’s Boxing Championship
World youth women’s boxing championship, which saw the participation of players from more than 30 countries, was hosted in Guwahati’s Md Tayabullah Hockey Stadium amid much fervour.
- The championship was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
Mairaj Khan crowned skeet champion at 61st National Shotgun C’ship
India’s top skeet shooter Mairaj Ahmad Khan was crowned national champion after a marathon final at New Delhi’s Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range on the concluding day of the 61st National Shooting Championship Competitions (61st NSCC) for Shotgun events.
Ritu Phogat wins silver in U-23 Senior World Wrestling Championship
India wrestler Ritu Phogat clinched a silver medal in the 48kg event in the Under-23 Senior World Wrestling Championship at Poland.
- Ritu lost against Turkish Wrestler Demirhan in the gold medal bout to settle for a silver
Navtej Sarna, Indian Ambassador To The US, Gets A Year’s Extension
The term of Indian Ambassador to the US, Navtej Sarna, a 1980 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, who was supposed to retire November end, has been extended by a year.
‘Newton’ bags two Asia Pacific Screen Awards
India’s foreign-language Oscar hopeful ‘Newton’ bagged two wins at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards in Brisbane, with Rajkummar Rao winning the best actor, and writer Mayank Tewari and director Amit V. Masurkar grabbing the best screenplay honour.
- The two awards have come as a boost to the critically-acclaimed Newton, which will represent India in the Best Foreign Language category at the 90th Academy Awards next year.