Daily Current Affairs 25 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi launches ‘Har Ghar Nal Yojna’, 3,000 villages in Uttar Pradesh to benefit
Prime minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Har Ghar Nal Yojna’ (tap water to every household), for Sonbhadra and Mirzapur in Vindhya region of Uttar Pradesh via video conference.
- The scheme worth Rs 5,555.38 crore is aimed at providing water to over 41 lakh villagers in two districts.
- The scheme will benefit 21,87,980 villagers in Mirzapur. In Sonbhadra, 19,53,458 families will be benefitted by the scheme. The water of lakes and river will be purified and supplied to the families in Sonbhadra.
International version of UMANG app launched by IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
On the completion of three years of the UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) app, the international version of the app has been launched.
- The UMANG international version is for select countries including US, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE, Netherlands, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand, and will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad to avail government of India services anytime.
- The app will also help in taking India to the world through ‘Indian Culture’ services available on UMANG and create interest amongst foreign tourists to visit India. Additionally, the government also announced that it is integrating Common Services Centres service into the Umang app.
Haveri railway station named after freedom fighter Mahadeva Mailar
The Karnataka government notified the naming of Haveri Railway Station after the freedom fighter Mailara Mahadevappa. Following a request by the state government, the union home ministry has approved the name change of the railway station.
- Mahadevappa was the only representative from the then Mysore state who took part in the Dandi March and walked with Mahatma Gandhi. He was jailed for six months. Upon his return, he along with his revolutionary friends, Mahadevappa had attacked the railway station at Byadagi in Haveri. The Britishers had even announced Rs 300 reward to those who help capture Mahadevappa alive.
‘Abhayam’ app for safety of women passengers launched in A.P.
Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy launched “Abhayam” mobile phone application which helps women and children travelling in taxis and autorickshaws to raise an alarm in case of any emergency.
- To start with, 1,000 auto rickshaws equipped with Internet of Things (IoT)-enabled GPS devices would be rolled out in Visakhapatnam city.
- About 5,000 vehicles would be brought on to the platform by February 1, 50,000 by July 1 and 1 lakh by November 2021 covering Vijayawada and Tirupati and other towns later.
DRDO flags off first Varunastra, a heavy weight torpedo
Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman, DRDO, G. Satheesh Reddy, flagged off the first Varunastra, the heavy weight torpedo, which was delivered to the Indian Navy, at a ceremony held at BDL, Visakhapatnam unit.
- Varunastra has been designed and developed by NSTL, Visakhapatnam.
- BDL, being the production agency, is manufacturing Varunastra at its Visakhapatnam unit for the Indian Navy. This product is also being offered for expo. rt
China successfully launches its first spacecraft to moon to collect samples, return to earth
China successfully launched its first unmanned space mission to collect samples from the moon’s surface and return to earth, the country’s maiden attempt to retrieve materials from an extra-terrestrial body.
- Chang’e-5 lunar probe launched from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site in the southern province of Hainan. The spacecraft was launched by a Long March-5 rocket.
- Chang’e-5 is one of the most complicated and challenging missions in China’s aerospace history, as well as the world’s first moon-sample mission in more than 40 years.
BANKING & FINANCE
NSDL Payments Bank partners with HDFC ERGO to offer customised Insurance Solutions
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company has tied up with NSDL Payments Bank Limited to offer a range of general insurance products to the bank’s customers.
- The partnership aims to bring together the deep distribution network of NSDL Payments Bank and the strong innovation pipeline of HDFC ERGO to contribute towards financial inclusion in the country.
- Through this partnership, HDFC ERGO is yet again enforcing our commitment of reaching out to customers and making our products available to all possible sections of the society.
Muthoot Finance launches ‘Gold Shield’ scheme in partnership with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
One of the largest gold loan NBFC company, Muthoot Finance has launched a gold jewellery insurance scheme called ‘Gold Shield’ in partnership with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
- The gold shield will provide insurance coverage to Indian citizens on their gold jewellery at the time of closure of gold loan and release of the gold ornaments.
- Additionally, the scheme includes benefits like insurance coverage against burglary, robbery, theft, loss-in-transit and 13 other disasters (natural calamities).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India can attract $120-160 billion FDI annually by 2025: CII-EY report
India can expect to attract $120-160 billion of foreign direct investment (FDI) annually by 2025 if it manages to increase the FDI to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) ratio between 3-4% from less than 2% now, Confederation of Indian Industry and EY said in a report.
- This can aid in bringing back India’s GDP growth rate to 7-8% range,” they said in the report titled ‘FDI in India: Now, Next and Beyond’.
- As per the report, India has observed a GDP growth of 6.8% in the current decade, with FDI to GDP at around 1.8%.
- The report highlighted that a large untapped opportunity beyond four major states remains to be explored. Four Indian states— Maharashtra (28%), Karnataka (19%), Delhi (16%) and Gujarat (10%)— attracted around 75% of the FDI inflows in the country from October 2019 to June 2020.
Daniil Medvedev beat Dominic Thiem to win ATP Tour Finals in London
Russian Daniil Medvedev claimed the biggest title of his career as he stormed back to beat Dominic Thiem 4-6 7-6(2) 6-4 in an absorbing climax to the ATP Finals in London.
- Thiem looked on course to become the first Austrian to win the title, following on from his recent U.S. Open triumph, but 24-year-old Medvedev turned the tide in superb fashion.
- Fittingly Medvedev became the first Russian to win the title since Nikolay Davydenko, who won London’s first edition in 2009.
Netflix’s ‘Delhi Crime’ Wins Top Prize At International Emmy Awards 2020
Netflix’s India Original series “Delhi Crime”, helmed by Indian-Canadian director Richie Mehta, has bagged the best drama series honour at the 48th International Emmy Awards.
- “Responsible Child” also bagged the best TV Movie / Mini-Series award. Directed by Nick Holt, the movie follows the story of a 12-year-old boy and his experience of the UK legal system that puts him on trial for murder.
- Glenda Jackson, 84, bagged the best actress award for her role in “Elizabeth is Missing”.
- “For Sama” won the best documentary award.Narrated and directed by Waad Al-Kateab along with Edward Watts, “For Sama” focuses on Al-Kateab”s journey as a journalist and rebel in the Syrian uprising.
- The Non-English Language US Primetime Program category saw a tie, with “20th Annual Latin Grammy Awards” and “La Reina del Sur” season two bagging the honour.
- The Short Form Series award was bagged by “#martyisdead” from Czech Republic while
- “Old People’s Home for 4 Year Olds” from Australia took home the award in Non-Scripted Entertainment category.
- Brazil”s “Orphans of a Nation” won the top honour in Telenovela category.
- Last year, Nawazuddin Siddiqui-starrer “McMafia” won the best drama series award at the International Emmy Awards.
Veteran Actor VM Badola passes away
Popular actor Varun Badola’s father, Vishwa Mohan Badola (VM Badola) passed away due to age-related issues. He was 84.
- V M Badola began his career as a journalist but later steered towards performing arts, venturing into theatre in Delhi.
- He also went on to do more than 400 plays for the national public radio broadcaster All India Radio in his career spanning over five decades.
- Varun Badola is best known for his appearance in shows such as Koshish – Ek Aashaa, Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand, Astitva.. Ek Prem Kahani, among others.
TV actor Ashiesh Roy passes away
Popular TV actor Ashiesh Roy passed away at his Mumbai residence. He was 55.
- Ashiesh had worked in several shows, including Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi, Sasural Simar Ka, Mere Angne Mein, Baa Bahu Aur Baby, Bymokesh Bakshi, and others.
- He was a popular dubbing artiste as well and has given voice to Hindi version of The Dark Knight (Health Ledger’s Joker character), Superman Returns, Man of Steel and many others.
World Heritage Week
The World Heritage Week is celebrated by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) every year from November 19 to November 25.
- The objective of World Heritage Week is to make people aware of the rich heritage and also strive for its preservation.
- There are 30 cultural sites, 7 natural sites, and 1 mixed as recognized by UNESCO.
- The theme for 2020 is ‘Shared Cultures, Thread Heritage, Shared Responsibility’, the aim of which is to raise awareness about the values and conservation of our heritage sites.
National Pharmacy Week 2020
The National pharmacy week is celebrated every year during the 3rd week of November.
- This year to describe the role of pharmacist, pharmacy profession and to spread the awareness amongst public M. M. College of pharmacy in collaboration with pharmaceutical society is celebrating 59th Pharmacy week, 2020 from 18-20 November, 2020 on the theme “Pharmacist: Frontline Health Professionals”
AAI observes ‘Aviation Safety Awareness Week 2020’
Country’s largest Airport operator and sole air navigation service provider Airports Authority of India (AAI) commenced Aviation Safety Awareness Week 2020 from November 23 to November 27.
- The week-long celebration is being observed at all airports and ANS locations managed by AAI across India.
- Airport Directors will be organizing awareness programme in school/colleges on the role of local residents in aviation safety to make people of the surrounding community aware of their role in ensuring the safety of aircraft operating in the local airport.