Daily Current Affairs 25 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indian Railway launches One Touch ATVM
Indian Railways has launched ‘one touch ATVM’ at 42 suburban stations of Central Railway over Mumbai Suburban Network.
- The machine has been launched to render fast ticketing to millions of commuters. This new machine will reduce the waiting time of the passengers and allow passenger to avoid standing in long queues.
Govt accords ‘Maharatna’ status to Hindustan Petroleum, Power Grid Corp
The government accorded ‘Maharatna’ status to state-owned Hindustan Petroleum and Power Grid Corporation, thus giving them greater operational and financial autonomy.
- Two separate orders to this effect were issued by the Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises.
Army chief releases commemorative postal stamp on Siachen Glacier
Recently Army chief General Bipin Rawat released a commemorative stamp on Siachen Glacier, issued by the Department of Post. Siachen is known as the world’s highest battlefield.
- Siachen area is now open for tourists and tourism.
UNICEF ropes in Ayushmann Khurrana to raise voice against child sexual abuse
Bollywood actor Ayushmann Khurrana has joined hands with UNICEF and Ministry of Women and Child Development to raise awareness and speak up against sexual abuse of children.
- Ayushmann has boarded the ministry’s key initiative, the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO), with an aim to make people aware of the protection and legal support that the Act offers against child sexual abuse.
India improves ranking in Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index
India has marginally improved its ranking to 32nd position in terms of providing pension and retirement benefits to citizens compared to last year, according to a report. The country’s score in the Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI) 2019 rose to 45.8 from 44.6 last year.
- In the overall list, the Netherlands had the highest index value (81.0), while Thailand had the lowest value (39.4).
India contributes 7% to global wealth rise, says Credit Suisse report
Global wealth has risen by $9 trillion to $360 trillion in 2019, according to the Credit Suisse Research Institute (CSRI). India has made a contribution of $625 billion (nearly 7% of total) to the global wealth. The biggest contribution has come from the US at $4 trillion (45% of total) and China at $1.9 trillion (21% of total).
18th NAM Summit held in Baku
XVIII Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) with participation of the heads of 60 countries, including Hassan Rouhani, the president of the Islamic Republic of Iran, kicked off in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is a forum of 120 developing world states that are not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc. After the United Nations, it is the largest grouping of states worldwide.
UN plans for global conversation to build collective future to mark its 75th anniversary
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced the UN’s plan to feature a global conversation to build a collective future to mark its 75th anniversary. 24th October 2020 will mark the 75th anniversary of United Nations (UN).
- Starting in January next year, the UN will hold dialogues around the world across various sectors with the aim to reach the global audience and to learn from their experiences.
- Through the upcoming dialogues, the world body aims to build a global vision for the year 2045 and to drive unified action to realise the collective vision.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Fitch cuts India’s FY20 GDP growth forecast to 5.5%
Fitch Ratings slashed India’s GDP growth forecast in the current fiscal to 5.5 per cent saying a large credit squeeze emanating from shadow banks has pushed economic growth to a six year low.
- The projection is lower than 6.1 per cent that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had forecast in early October.
Airtel launches initiative to support startups, acquires stake in Bengaluru-based Vahan
Telecom major Bharti Airtel announced the launch of its startup accelerator programme to support growth of early-stage Indian tech startups. Through the initiative, early startups get access to Airtel’s online and offline distribution network, deep market understanding and ecosystem of global strategic partners.
- Besides, the company announced induction of Bengaluru-based tech startup Vahan into its startup accelerator programme.
Karnataka defeat Tamil Nadu to lift Vijay Hazare trophy
Karnataka defeated Tamil Nadu by 60 runs to lift the Vijay Hazare trophy. With this, Karnataka has won the Vijay Hazare trophy for the fourth time.
- The final match was held in M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.
Former J-K interlocutor Dineshwar Sharma named new Administrator of Lakshadweep
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed former interlocutor for Jammu and Kashmir Dineshwar Sharma as the new Administrator of Lakshadweep.
- A 1976-batch retired IPS officer of Kerala cadre, Sharma served as chief of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) from 2015 to 2017.
P.S. Sreedharan Pillai appointed as Governor of Mizoram
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed BJP leader P.S. Sreedharan Pillai as the Governor of Mizoram.
Girish Chandra Murmu appointed Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Girish Chandra Murmu as the first Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir and Radha Krishna Mathur as the first Lt Governor of Ladakh.
- Girish Chandra Murmu replaces Satya Pal Malik.
- Satya Pal Malik, the incumbent Governnor of Jammu and Kashmir, has been transferred to Goa.
Indian-origin professor Neena Mitter wins major award in Australia for avocado research project
Neena Mitter, Indian-origin professor , an agricultural biotechnologist based at The University of Queensland, has been named the winner of Australia India Science, Research and Development category at the 2019 India Australia Business and Community Awards (IABCA).
- Her work includes an avocado research project that has the potential to revolutionise the industry worldwide.
Ilham Tohti wins Sakharov Prize
The European Parliament has awarded the Sakharov Prize to Uighur intellectual Ilham Tohti (Chinese). He has been awarded the Sakharov Prize for his attempts to “foster dialogue” between Chinese people and the Uighur.
United Nations Day
In 1948, the United Nations General Assembly declared 24 October, the anniversary of the Charter of the United Nations, as which “shall be devoted to making known to the people of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations and to gaining their support for” its work.
- This year’s theme is ‘Our Planet. Out Future’.
World Polio Day
World Polio Day on 24 October was established by Rotary International to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk, who led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis (polio). It is observed to raise awareness about the polio disease and efforts for eradication.
- This year’s theme is ‘Stories of Progress: Past and present’.