Daily Current Affairs 25 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt launches ‘UMMID’ initiative to tackle inherited genetic diseases of newborn babies
Science and Technology and Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched ‘UMMID’ (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) initiative to tackle inherited genetic diseases of newborn babies.
- The new initiative aims at creating awareness about genetic disorders amongst clinicians and establish molecular diagnostics in hospitals so that the benefits of developments in medical genetics could reach patients.
- The Minister also inaugurated NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras.
Centre increases pension to families of deceased govt employees who served less than 7 years
Centre has notified amendments to grant enhanced pension to families of government employees dying after serving less than seven years. The amended pension rules will apply to families of all government employees, including those of Central Armed Police Forces personnel.
- The families of government servants who died before completion of service of seven years within 10 years before October 1, 2019, will also be eligible for family pension at enhanced rates.
President Ram Nath Kovind Inaugurates India Water Week-2019
On 24th September 2019, President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the sixth ”India Water Week-2019” being organised with the theme of ”Water cooperation-coping with 21st-century challenge” at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that cooperation between different stakeholders is critical if we are to face the challenges concerning water effectively. Water issues are too multi-faceted and complex to be solved by only the government or just one nation. All nations and their water communities have to come together to help build a water sustainable future for all.
Tomar launches two agriculture-related mobile apps
Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched two agriculture-related mobile apps that will enable farmers to have easy access to agricultural equipment at their doorstep.
- Launching the mobile Apps – ‘CHC Farm Machinery’ and ‘Krishi Kisan App for Geo Tagging’– the minister urged farmers to utilise the services for improving cultivation methods and ensure higher agricultural productivity.
Kejriwal announces 200 units of free electricity scheme for tenants in Delhi
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced the ‘Mukhyamantri Kirayedaar Bijli Meter Yojna’ for the tenants living in Delhi, under which 200 units of electricity will be free.
- Above 200 units, the charges will be the same for them as for residents. This will be applicable only for domestic use.
Assam CM launches ‘Free Drugs Scheme’ for 651 tea garden hospitals
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal formally launched the ‘Free Drugs Scheme’ for 651 tea garden hospitals of the state at a National Health Mission programme.
- Reducing the burden of pocket expenditure of tea garden population and making quality drugs accessible to them stands among the prime reason behind the launch of the scheme.
World’s tallest Ravana effigy will be burnt in Chandigarh
In the wake of Dusshera festival, a Ravana effigy, 221 feet tall will be erected in Chandigarh. The effigy is being built at the cost of Rs 30 Lakh. It weights over 70 quintals.
- Also, the crackers used inside the Ravan effigy are pollution-free.
NRIs can now apply for Aadhaar on arrival without 182-day wait
Non-resident Indians (NRIs) with valid Indian passport can apply for Aadhaar on arrival, without the 182-day waiting period, with the government issuing a notification in this regard. Following the notification, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has also come out with a circular stating that “NRI after his arrival in India, shall be entitled to obtain Aadhaar number”.
PM Modi inaugurates Gandhi Solar Park at UN Headquarters
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a 50 kilowatt ‘Gandhi Solar Park’ at the Headquarters of the United Nations in New York, USA.
- World leaders including Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and President of South Korea Moon-Jae-in were also present at the occasion in New York.
- The leaders also launched a United Nations (UN) postage stamp of Mahatma Gandhi, at the programme ‘Relevance of Mahatma Gandhi in the Contemporary World’ at the UN headquarters.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation honours PM Modi for Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation honoured Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the Global Goalkeeper Award for his contributions to the cleanliness drive and efforts to “improve access to sanitation in India through Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan.
- The Swachh Bharat Mission was launched by the Modi government in 2014 and its components include the construction of household toilets, community and public toilets and solid waste management.
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s ‘Global Goalkeeper’s Award’ is accorded to a world leader every year for their achievement in a specific sustainable development goal.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indian economy to grow 6.5 pc in FY19, 7.2 pc in FY20: ADB
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has revised its outlook for India’s economy with growth now expected at 6.5 per cent in fiscal year (FY) 2019, following weaker expansion in the first quarter of the year with slower growth in consumption and investment affecting the manufacturing and service sectors.
- Also, it sees the economy pick up in FY20, growing by 7.2 per cent.
SBI Life signs corporate agency pact with Repco Home Finance
SBI Life Insurance said it has signed a corporate agency agreement with city-based Repco Home Finance Ltd to offer the company’s range of products to RHFL customers.
Pine Labs ties up with Federal Bank to offer debit card EMIs
Pine Labs, a merchant-focussed company, has entered into a strategic alliance with Federal Bank, a private sector bank, to offer equated monthly instalments (EMIs) on debit card-based offline transactions to the bank’s customers.
PV Sindhu’s South Korean coach Kim Ji Hyun resigns due to personal reasons
With less than a year to go for the Tokyo Olympics, South Korea’s Kim Ji Hyun has stepped down from her position as India’s women’s singles badminton coach to attend to her ailing husband in New Zealand.
- Kim Ji Hyun, who was roped in by the Badminton Association of India (BAI) early this year, had played a crucial role in guiding PV Sindhu to her World Championship gold last month at Basel, Switzerland.
Koneru Humpy wins Grand Prix tourney in style
Indian chess grandmaster, Koneru Hampi (32) of Gudivada (Andhra Pradesh) has cliched Fide World Grand Prix 2019 title with 8 points from 11 rounds in Skolkovo, Russia.
Snooker: Rawat beats Pakistan’s Asif to bag World 6Reds title
India’s Laxman Rawat survived a spirited fightback from Pakistan’s Muhammad Asif to win 6-5 and clinch the IBSF World 6Reds title in Mandalay, Myanmar.
- Rawat had defeated Pankaj Advani in the semi-final.
Kotak Mutual Fund’s Nilesh Shah appointed as new Amfi chairman
Nilesh Shah, Managing Director of Kotak Asset Management Company (AMC), has been appointed as the new chairman of the Association of Mutual Funds in India (Amfi), with immediate effect.
- The body also elected Saurabh Nanavati, Chief Executive Officer, Invesco Mutual Fund as the vice-chairman of Amfi, for a period of one year.
Amitabh Bachchan conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Award
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been selected for the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar announced.
- Son of late poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan, the 76-year-old veteran actor has been a part of Indian cinema for over four decades and has received numerous accolades for his versatility in acting.
Vadodara house-wife crowned Mrs India 2019
Pooja Desai, a house-wife from Vadodra, Gujarat has been crowned as Mrs India 2019. She emerged victorious after competing with over 4, 500 participants across the country.
- On being asked how she maintained a balance between work and her personal life, she said, “If a woman has aspiration, time management becomes easy for her.
- India Pride of Nation’ is a beauty pageant for married women that celebrates and admires the accomplishments and achievements of a wife, daughter and a mother.
Infosys, TCS among 17 Indian firms in Forbes best ‘regarded’ companies list
As many as 17 Indian companies, including Infosys, TCS and HDFC, have been named in the list of World’s Best Regarded Companies compiled by Forbes.
- IT major Infosys has been ranked third in the list of World’s Best Regarded Companies, along with global payments technology company Visa and Italian car-maker Ferrari on the first and second position, respectively.
Girl Power – New book to tell stories of 50 Indian women role models
An octogenarian sharpshooter, a priest, a spy and a warrior princess are some of the awe-inspiring Indian women whose stories will be part of a new book, ‘Girl Power: Indian Women Who Broke The Rules’. Written by author Neha J Hiranandani, the book details the struggles and achievements of 50 remarkable women, complemented with illustrations by Niloufer Wadia.