Daily Current Affairs 25 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt sanctions 670 electric buses, 241 charging stations to boost electric mobility
The government has sanctioned 670 electric buses and 241 charging stations to boost the electric mobility in the country.
- The buses have been sanctioned in the states of Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat and Chandigarh whereas charging stations in Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Gujarat and Port Blair under Phase-II of FAME India Scheme.
- The second phase of this scheme has been implemented from last year with a total budgetary support of 10 thousand crore rupees.
UP govt launches unified portal ‘U-Rise’ to guide students in learning, career counselling, employment
The Uttar Pradesh government has launched a unified portal called ‘U-Rise’ to guide students in learning, career counselling, and getting employment in the state.Uttar Pradesh was the first state to launch a unified portal along with the implementation of NEP.
- It is the biggest reform programme in the education sector after the National Education Policy (NEP)-2020.
- The programme would connect students with practical and technical knowledge.
Assam Government launches Mukhyamantrir Grammya Paribahan Achoni to improve rural connectivity
The Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal launched the Mukhyamantrir Grammya Paribahan Achoni of the state transport department.
- Under the scheme Light Motor Vehicle Service would be launched in all the villages of the state to improve rural connectivity and generate employment in the villages.
- In the first phase of the scheme, 10,000 villages would be covered with financial outlay of Rs 100 crore.One vehicle would be provided to one beneficiary per village.
- The state government shall financially assist the eligible entrepreneurs with 25 percent of the cost of the vehicle or Rs 1 lakh, whichever is less.
Approved outlay for PM Svanidhi Scheme is Rs 600cr
The Government of India has approved a total outlay of Rs.600.00 crores for the PM SVANidhi scheme.
- The Prime Minister Street Vendor’s Amta Nirbhar Nidhi Scheme (PM SVANidhi) was launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has on 01 June 2020 to facilitate collateral free working capital loans upto Rs 10,000 of 1 year tenure, to about 50 lakh street vendors across the country.
BANKING & FINANCE
IDFC First Bank to launch ‘on phone’ contactless debit card transaction facility
IDFC First Bank is set to launch SafePay, a digital facility that allows contactless debit card payments by simply waving one’s smartphone against a Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled POS terminal.
- The first such facility to be made available in an integrated mobile banking app, the SafePay feature has been tested successfully and certified by Visa. It will be available to users on the Bank’s mobile app in the next one week.
- SafePay enables contactless payments of up to Rs 2,000 per transaction and up to a limit of Rs 20,000 per day
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Microsoft acquires video game company ZeniMax
Microsoft announced that it will buy ZeniMax Media, the company that owns well-known video game publisher Bethesda, for $7.5 billion in cash.
- The deal gives Microsoft access to a raft of successful game franchises, including Fallout, The Elder Scrolls and Doom.
- It’s the biggest gaming acquisition in Microsoft’s history, after the company bought Minecraft developer Mojang for $2.5 billion in 2014
Sonu Sood becomes brand ambassador of Acer India
Acer India, the personal computer brand, has announced Bollywood actor Sonu Sood as its brand ambassador.
- The actor will be seen endorsing the brand’s range of products across media platforms for its campaigns.
Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed appointed new PM of Somalia
Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed has appointed political newcomer Mohamed Hussein Roble as the country’s prime minister, hours after brokering an agreement with regional leaders for elections next year that abandons a promised one-person, one-vote model.
- He will replace former Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire, who was voted out of office by parliament in July for failing to pave the way for fully democratic elections due before February 2021.
EESL appoints Rajat Sud as new Managing Director
Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) announced the appointment of Rajat Sud as its managing director from immediate effect.
- Sud takes over from S Gopal, director (commercial), who had taken on the additional charge of interim managing director.
- Before joining EESL, he served as executive vice president at Sterlite Power Transmission Ltd. He has also served in leadership positions at Siemens IT Solutions and PwC
NID-Ahmedabad student’s zero waste manufacturing process wins James Dyson India award
Shashank Nimkar from the National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad) has won the James Dyson India Award 2020 for his invention- ‘Earth Tatva’.
- Nimkar used ceramic rejects called ‘grog’ from the surrounding production cluster and clay to make new products.These products are also made under a zero-waste manufacturing process.
- For his innovation, the youngster won a prize money of £2,000 (around ₹1.90 lakh) in the competition.
Odisha’s Krushi Bhawan inspired by farmers wins Global Architecture Award
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has dedicated the prestigious AZ Awards-2020 for Odisha’s architectural marvel Krushi Bhavan, to farmers and artisans of the state.
- The announcement came after Bhubaneswar-based Krushi Bhawan building was selected as the “People’s Choice Winner” at the AZ Awards 2020 in the Social Good Category.
- The Krushi Bhawan was the only project from India at the globally recognised prestigious award.
- Krushi Bhawan had also become India’s first government building and Odisha’s first-ever building to feature in Dezeen, a prestigious international journal on architecture.
Kerala Wins UN Award On Prevention, Control Of Non-communicable Diseases
Kerala bagged a United Nations award for its “outstanding contribution” towards the non-communicable diseases-related sustainable development goals.
- The award recognises achievements during 2019 on the multisectoral action in the prevention and control of NCDs, mental health and the wider NCD-related sustainable development goals (SDGs).
Kerala Tourism’s Campaign Wins PATA Award
Kerala Tourism’s internationally-acclaimed ‘Human by Nature’ campaign bagged the prestigious PATA Grand Award 2020 for Marketing.
- Kerala Tourism has bagged one of the three PATA Grand Awards, will give a stimulus to the tourism industry in the State that is in a crisis for over six months due to the pandemic.
- This year PATA Grand Award recognised the achievements of three Grand title winners and 21 gold awards.
Time magazine lists PM Modi in ‘100 Most Influential People 2020’, 4 other Indians
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been featured in TIME Magazine’s annual list of the world’s 100 most influential people for the fourth time since he took office in 2014.
- PM Modi has been kept under the ‘Leaders’ along with US President Donald Trump, US attorney general William Barr, Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen, US NIAID chief Anthony Fauci and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.
- Modi is the only politician from India who has made it to the coveted list. Other Indians on the list include Google CEO Sundar Pichai, actor Ayushmann Khurrana, HIV research researcher Ravinder Gupta and Bilkis, who emerged as the face of the Shaheen Bagh protests.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
CM Jagan Mohan Reddy launches AP Police Seva app
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy launched AP Police Seva App, a mobile application offering 87 types of citizen services.
- It offers services under the six divisions of law and order, enforcement, public service, road safety, public information and public outreach.
- With this app, people in Andhra Pradesh need not visit a police station to file a complaint or learn about the status of their plaint, which can now be done form the comfort of their mobile phone
Nuclear scientist Sekhar Basu passes away
Veteran atomic scientist and former chairman of Atomic Energy Commission Dr. Sekhar Basu died of Covid-19 in a Kolkata hospital. He was 68.
- A mechanical engineer, Dr. Basu is revered for his contributions to the country’s atomic energy programme. He was awarded Padma Shri in 2014.
- He had also pioneered the highly complex reactor for India’s first nuclear-powered submarine INS Arihant.
Australian cricketer Dean Jones passes away
Former Australia cricketer and renowned commentator Dean Jones passed away following a massive cardiac arrest in Mumbai. He was 59.
- Dean Jones played 52 Tests and scored 3631 runs including 11 centuries, and featured in 164 One-Dayers, racking up 6063 runs, seven centuries and 46 fifties.
- He was part of Australia’s 1987 World Cup-winning squad. He made his Test and ODI debuts in 1984 and played his last international match in 1994.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Neena Gupta announces her memoir ‘Sach Kahun Toh’
Award-winning actor Neena Gupta come out with her memoir titled ‘Sach Kahun Toh’,and it will be released in 2021.
- The book will be published under Penguin ‘Ebury Press’ imprint.
- It will dive down deep into her life, ranging from her time as a child at Delhi’s Karol Bagh, a stint at the National School Of Drama, moving to Bombay in the ’80s and, her struggles of finding work.
Fauja Singh Keeps Going | Children’s Book About 109-Year-Old Marathoner
Fauja Singh (109), the world’s oldest marathon runner, has created history as this ‘young athlete’ has been featured as a superhero in a children’s book titled ‘Fauja Singh Keeps Going’.
- The book was written by New York-based professor Simran Jeet Singh, was released recently.
- It narrates the story of the centenarian, a native of Beas village in Jalandhar district, who completed a marathon at the age of 100 in 2011. It aims to tell the children the story of a Sikh man who began running at the age of 81, since he was born with weak legs, for which kids in the village teased him, calling him ‘danda’ or stick.
World Maritime Day
World Maritime Day is observed on the last week of September on Thursday annually. The event’s date varies by year and country, this year World Maritime Day was celebrated on September 24, 2020 to spread awareness about the importance of shipping safety, maritime security, and the marine environment.
- “Sustainable shipping for a sustainable planet” has been selected as the World Maritime theme for 2020.
- This will provide an opportunity to raise awareness of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and showcase the work that the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and its Member States are undertaking to achieve the targets.
World Pharmacist Day
World Pharmacist Day is celebrated on 25 September every year to promote awareness about the importance and role of a pharmacist
- The aim of the day is to spread awareness about the importance of pharmacists, druggists, chemists.
- The theme of World Pharmacist Day 2020 is “Transforming global health”.