Daily Current Affairs 25th June 2017
States’ fiscal deficit soars to Rs 4.93 trillion in FY16: RBI
According to the second edition of RBI’s statistical publication titled ‘Handbook of Statistics on States 2016-17’, the gross fiscal deficits of all the states skyrocketed to 4,93,360 crore Rupee in the last fiscal from the 18,790 crore rupee in the financial year 1991. Most populous state Uttar Pradesh and the largest Rajasthan lead the list of states with highest deficit.
Annual Lord Jagannath rath yatra celebration begins
Lord Jagannath’s annual rath yatra has started from the majestic Emami Jagannath temple, in Odisha today amid tight security. The festival is celebrated on the second day of Shukla Paksha of Ashadh, the third month, according to the traditional Oriya calendar.
IDFC Bank elevates Sunil Kakar as MD and CEO
IDFC Bank announced the elevation of its CFO Sunil Kakar as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the company with effect from July 17 for three years. Besides, the bank announced that the Board has approved the resignation of veteran banker Vikram Limaye from the post of MD and CEO who is set to join leading stock exchange NSE as its new Managing Director and CEO.
Priyanka Chopra appointed brand ambassador of Skill India campaign
National Skill Development Corporation has roped in Priyanka Chopra as an ambassador for the Skill India campaign. Earlier, Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli, batting legend Sachin Tendulkar, Bollywood actors Sidharth Malhotra and Shabana Azmi and singer Mohit Chauhan had also become goodwill envoys for Skill India.
India, Portugal sign 11 MoUs across various fields
India and Portugal have signed eleven MOUs for cooperation in areas including double taxation avoidance, science and technology, trade and investment, nanotechnology, space research, administrative reforms and culture. 5 of the MoU’s were in the area of science and technology.
- Joint science fund will also be launched for which both India and Portugal will contribute Euros two million each. (Total Euro four million)
- A unique startup Portal – the India-Portugal International StartUp Hub (IPISH) – aimed at providing information on start-up hotspots in the two countries and associated policies was also launched. The platform has been initiated by Startup India and supported by Commerce & Industry Ministry and Startup Portugal to create a mutually supportive entrepreneurial partnership.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented the Overseas Citizen of India card to Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa, who traces his routes to Goa.
Aadhaar not valid for travel to Nepal, Bhutan: Home ministry
Home Ministry has said the Aadhaar is not a valid identification document for Indians travelling to Nepal and Bhutan. They can travel to both countries for which they don’t need visas if they possess a valid national passport or election ID card issued by the Election Commission. In a communique, the ministry said the Aadhaar card is not an acceptable travel document for travel to Nepal and Bhutan.
- Moreover, persons over 65 and below 15 years can show documents with photographs to confirm their age and identity. These include PAN card, driving licence, Central Government Health Service card and ration card but not Aadhaar.
India would need to bring 88 km2 land under waste disposal by 2050: ASSOCHAM
As per the report titled ‘Waste Management in India: Shifting Gears,’ jointly conducted by ASSOCHAM and global consulting firm PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers),India would require an estimated 88 square kilometer of precious land to be brought under waste disposal through landfilling by 2050.
- As per a previous estimate, by 2050 about 50 per cent of India’s population will be living in urban areas, and the volume of waste generation will grow by 5 per cent per year.
- Class I cities account for 80% of country’s total waste generation.
Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates ‘Homes For All’ property show in Ahmedabad
Union Minister for Urban Development, Housing and Poverty Alleviation Venkaiah Naidu inagurated the ‘Homes For All’ property show organized by Ahmedabad Municipal corporation and GIHED CREDAI today in Ahmedabad. On the occasion, Mr. Naidu launched several smart initiatives such as Janmitra Card -‘One Card Many Services’, AMC Seva Mobile Application, Amdavad Airport Shuttle Service, Intelligent Transit Management System among others.
Incubation centre for biotech start-ups to be set up at CCMB, Hyderabad
An incubation centre for biotechnology start-ups is to be set up at the CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad. To be supported by the NITI Aayog, it will create facilities and bring in stakeholders to ensure the success of innovative ideas.
- The CCMB is one of the 10 organisations identified to host the ‘Atal Incubation Centre’, according to Rakesh Mishra, its Director. Under this, the government will release funds of Rs 10 crore in the coming five years.
Samsung pledges support to ‘Safe India’ campaign
Mobile handset maker Samsung India has pledged support to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways’ drive to reduce road accidents. A nationwide campaign ‘Safe India’ to sensitise people about responsible use of mobile phones while on the road was unveiled yesterday.
Vincy Quadros and Amey Naik chosen for Sahitya Akademi awards
Sahitya Akademi’s Bal Sahitya Puraskar: Vincy Quadros (For his book ‘Jaduche Petul’ for children in Konkani)
Yuva Puraskar 2017: Amey Naik (For his Konkani poetry collection ‘Mog Dot Com’.)
Both the writers are from Goa.
YRF’s Sultan Wins Best Action Movie at Shanghai International Film Fest
Yash Raj Films’ mega blockbuster Sultan sets the stage by winning the prestigious Best Action Movie award at the Shanghai International Film Festival. This Salman Khan– Anushka Sharma starrer is the first Indian film to win this award. Director- Ali Abbas Zafar.
P V Sindhu wins Sportsperson of the Year Award by SJFI
The Sports Journalists Federation of India (SJFI), at its annual general meeting on Sunday, decided to confer the best Sportsperson of the Year Award on the ace shuttler and Rio Olympics silver medallist P V Sindhu.
- The Best Team of the Year award was bagged by the Indian junior hockey squad which won the World Cup in Lucknow last December.
- Both the awards would be presented at the 40th convention of the SJFI to be held in Indore in September.
Kidambi Srikanth wins Australian Open Super Series title
Ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth produced yet another flawless and spectacular performance as he outplayed China’s Chen Long in straight sets to lift his maiden Australian Open Super Series title. With the win, Srikanth has now gone to number one in Dubai Destination Rankings.
Roger Federer beats Alexander Zverev to win Gerry Weber Open
Swiss maestro Roger Federer on Sunday came out with a ruthless performance against Alexander Zverev in straight sets to win the men’s singles title of the 25th Gerry Weber Open.
Daniel Ricciardo wins 2017 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo (Australian) profited from the chaos to win the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on Sunday, while Sebastian Vettel extended his championship lead over Lewis Hamilton.
Boxer Ankush Dahiya wins Gold in Ulaanbaatar Cup
Young Indian boxer Ankush Dahiya won the gold medal in the 60 kg weight category at the Ulaanbaatar Cup in Mongolia. 19-year-old Ankush defeated Korean Man Choe Chol in the finals.
Petra Kvitova wins Aegon Classic Tennis final
Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova beat Ashleigh Barty 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 Sunday in the Aegon Classic final to win her first title since her playing hand was injured in a knife attack at her home.
Naidu launches book titled ‘The Emergency-Indian Democracy’s Darkest Hour’ authored by A. Surya Prakash
Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting Venkaiah Naidu launched a book titled ‘The Emergency-Indian Democracy’s Darkest Hour’ written by A. Surya Prakash, chairman Prasar Bharati Board.
2017 Day of the Seafarer (DotS): June 25, 2017
The annual Day of the Seafarer (DotS) was observed by International Maritime Organisation (IMO) on June 25, 2017.
- Day of the Seafarer (DotS ) Theme 2017: ‘Seafarers Matter’