Daily Current Affairs 26 April 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Chandigarh drafts cycling policy, maps out cycling network, incentives
Chandigarh state government has released first-of-its-kind draft cycling policy that views cycling as a major alternate mode of transport for short distances.
- It is for the first time that a city has drafted a cycling policy in India. The policy has been drafted by the Chandigarh Smart City Limited.
- The cycling policy is seen as a powerful tool for the government to encourage cycling in the city.
- About 60-km of cycle network has been identified with proposed cycle underpasses across V-2 or V-3 roads. In addition, the existing cycle tracks along V3 roads should be improved and provided with proper integration, along with the zebra crossing near intersection.
Saudi Arabia to join ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ on climate change
Saudi Arabia will join the United States, Canada, Norway, and Qatar in forming ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ for oil and gas producers to discuss how they can support the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest crude exporter, will be part of the new platform, which will discuss ways to achieve net zero carbon emission targets to limit global warming.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm launches ‘Wealth Community’ for young investors
Home-grown digital financial services platform Paytm has launched a new video-based wealth community called the Paytm Wealth Community.
- Paytm Wealth Community is an investing community based on video, and will enable users to attend live sessions conducted by subject matter experts across an array of wealth topics like Stocks, F&O, IPO, ETFs, Mutual Funds, Gold, Fixed Income, and Personal Finance.
- The community is meant to tap young users and has been designed for the needs of the “new Indian investor.”
BOB Financial and Mastercard to launch world’s first QR on Card programme to simplify digital payments
Mastercard and BOB Financial Solutions Limited (BFSL) have come together to offer an easy, frictionless payment solution for cardholders with the launch of ConQR – a Mastercard QR on Card solution.
- This solution uses a Mastercard patented technology which enables cardholders/ SMEs to accept cashless payments using their cards. By doing so, QR on Card makes payments more flexible and empowers cardholders (mainly small merchants) to spend and earn on the same card.
- The solution does not require cardholders to give out personally identifiable information to receive payments, providing them with an important layer of security.
Indian Bank in pact with Chennai Angels for start-up financing
Indian Bank has signed an agreement with The Chennai Angles for financing start-ups under its loan programme, ‘IND Spring Board.
- Under this product, the bank will support start-ups by extending credit facilities of up to ₹50 crore for working capital requirements and also fund term loan requirements for acquiring fixed assets for their unit.
RBI cancels licence of Maharashtra-based Bhagyodaya Friends Urban Co-operative Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said it has cancelled the licence of Maharashtra-based Bhagyodaya Friends Urban Co-operative Bank Limited due to inadequate capital.
- The Commissioner for Cooperation and Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Maharashtra has also been requested to issue an order for winding up the bank and appoint a liquidator for the bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India-Singapore tie-up looking to promote tech startups
The Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SICCI) and Start-up Incubation and Innovation Centre (SIIC) of IIT-Kanpur have come together to provide a gateway of opportunities to tech-based start-ups to usher a circular economy and an entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- The purpose of the launchpad is to encourage start-ups to take advantage of the Singapore-India trade and technology corridor.
- The two institutions are collaborating to identify young, indigenous talent to provide them with an array of incubation services.
IIT Kharagpur Signs MoU with Ministry of housing & Urban Affairs to set up an Accelerator Centre
IIT Kharagpur and the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) have signed a MoU to set up an Accelerator Centre for Research & Development at the Institute.
- This MoU will provide the opportunity of innovation & incubation assistance to carry out activities like technology and product development.
- The Affordable Sustainable Housing Accelerators-India (ASHA-India) initiative under the Global Housing Technology Challenge-India (GHTC-India) is one of its kind innovations.
Archery Couple Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das Shoots Triple Gold as India Finish with Four Medals
Newly-wed archery couple Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das led the show with two individual gold medals as India capped their best ever show in a World Cup, claiming three golds and one bronze in the tournament’s first stage.
- Also, this was India’s best ever individual recurve men’s result since Jayanta Talukdar triumphed in Croatia way back in 2009.
- The two are now automatically qualified for this season’s most-coveted Archery World Cup Final.
Deepika Kumari-led Women’s Recurve Team Wins Gold at World Cup Archery Stage 1
Indian women’s recurve team held its nerve to pip Mexico 5-4 (27-26) in an intriguing final to grab a gold medal in the Archery World Cup Stage 1.
- Locked 4-4 in the shoot-off, the Indian team comprising seasoned Deepika Kumari, Ankita Bhakat and Komalika Bari shot 27 to edge out their Mexican rivals by one point and claim their first World Cup team gold after seven years.
- This was India’s fifth recurve women’s team gold in World Cup having won in Shanghai- 2011, Medellin-2013, Wroclaw-2013 and 2014 previously.
- In another match, the Indian mixed recurve team of Atanu Das and Ankita Bhakat won the bronze medal after a 6-2 victory over USA.
Haryana and Delhi to host Khelo India Youth Games in November 21st To December 5th, 2021
The fourth edition of ‘Khelo India Youth Games-2021’ will be held in Panchkula, Ambala, Shahabad, Delhi and Chandigarh from November 21 to December 5, in which various sports activities under-18 category would be organised.
- Besides this, some BRICS Games 2021 would also be organized during Khelo India.
93rd Academy Awards
The Academy has paid tribute to Indian actor Irrfan Khan and Indian Oscar-winning costume designer Bhanu Athaiya. The two featured in the Academy’s In Memorium segment during Oscar awards ceremony.
- The Academy Awards 2021 were dominated by Nomadland. Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actress – all three major awards were won by the film.
THE FULL LIST OF WINNERS:
- BEST PICTURE-Nomadland
- BEST DIRECTOR-Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
- BEST ACTOR-Anthony Hopkins, The Father
- BEST ACTRESS-Frances McDormand, Nomadland
- SUPPORTING ACTORDaniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
- SUPPORTING ACTRESS-Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
- ADAPTED SCREENPLAY-The Father
- BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY-Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
- ANIMATED FEATURE FILM-Soul
- BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM-Another Round, Denmark
- BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE-My Octopus Teacher
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY-Mank
- BEST COSTUME DESIGN-Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- FILM EDITING-Sound of Metal
- MAKE-UP AND HAIRSTYLING-Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- ORIGINAL SCORE-Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste, Soul
- ORIGINAL SONG-Fight For You, Judas And The Black Messiah
- PRODUCTION DESIGN-Mank
- BEST SOUND-Sound of Metal
- VISUAL EFFECTS-Tenet
- DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)-Colette
- BEST SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION) – Two Distant Strangers.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO to Launch Data Relay Satellite to Track Gaganyaan
The Indian Space Research Organisation will launch a data relay satellite that will help maintain contact with the Gagangyaan mission throughout after the launch.
- The satellite will be launched before the final leg of the Gaganyaan mission, which will send astronauts to the Lower Earth Orbit (LEO). The first leg — the unmanned mission — is to be launched in December.
- A data relay satellite serves as a way to pass along the satellite’s information. Its Tracking and Data Relay Satellite allows it to have global coverage of all the satellites round the clock without having to build extra ground stations on Earth.
Classical Vocalist Pt Rajan Mishra passes away
Classical singer Rajan Mishra, a Padma Bhushan awardee, died of complications caused by COVID-19 at a hospital. He was 70.
- Belonging to the Benaras gharana, Mr. Mishra, along with brother Sajan Mishra, made a mark for himself as a vocalist in the khyal style of Indian classical singing.
- They released over 20 music albums.They received prestigious honours such as the Padma Bhushan, Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Tansen Samman, Kashi Gaurav, Gandharva National Award, and Honorary Citizenship of Baltimore in the US.
Nuclear scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam passes away
Indian nuclear scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam, who played noteworthy role in 1998 nuclear tests at Pokhran, has passed away.
- Santhanam was the field director of Defence Research and Development Organization during the tests of Pokhran-II.He was deeply associated with Defence Research and Development Organization(DRDO), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA).
- He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award, in 1999 by the Government of India.
World Intellectual Property Day
World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on 26 April. It aims to increase people’s awareness and understanding of intellectual property (IP).
- World Intellectual Property Day 2021 theme is “IP and SMEs: Taking your ideas to market.”
World Malaria Day
World Malaria Day (WMD) is observed on April 25 every year. The day aimed at taking urgent action in the control of the deadly disease.
- The theme of World Malaria Day 2021 is “Reaching the zero malaria target.”
- The day is celebrated to spread awareness about malaria disease and to promote efforts to prevent malaria.
International Delegate’s Day
International Delegate’s Day observed globally on 25 April every year. This day also marks the anniversary of the first day of the San Francisco Conference which is also known as the United Nations Conference on International Organization.
- This day is observed to raise awareness of the role of the representatives and delegates of the Member States to the United Nations.
International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day
The International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day is observed every year on April 26 to raise awareness of the consequences of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster and the risks of nuclear energy in general.
- On this day in 1986, a reactor exploded at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine with devastating consequences.