Daily Current Affairs 26 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates National Centre for Avian Ecotoxicology
Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the National Centre for Avian Ecotoxicology at Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural Sciences ((SACON) in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- The centre would study the movement of environmental contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, polychlorinated biphenyls and drugs through the food chain, and their harmful effects on birds.
Textiles minister Smriti Irani launches sustainable fashion project
Union Minister for Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani has launched a project which aims to move towards sustainable fashion that contributes to a clean environment.
- Project SU.RE (sustainable resolution), which involves 16 leading retail fashion brands, reflects the thought of Mahatma Gandhi and is a step towards responsible and smart business.
- The SU.RE project by India’s apparel industry aims for a sustainable pathway for the fashion industry.
Rajasthan ranks 1st in free medicine scheme implementation
Chief minister Ashok Gehlot’s flagship free medicine scheme secured the top position in the country in the ranking issued by the National Health Mission (NHM).
- The NHM assessed the performance of the states on the basis of effective implementation of Drugs and Vaccine Distribution Management System (DVDMS), stock of essential drugs, value of drugs about to expire along with other such parameters, which are 10 in total. In the state, the scheme was launched on October 2, 2011.
CVC sets up 4-member Advisory Board for Banking Frauds
The Central Vigilance Commission has constituted a 4-member Advisory Board for Banking Frauds. The ABBF will be headed by former Vigilance Commissioner T.M. Bhasin.
- The panel will function as the 1st level of examination of all large fraud cases. Lenders will refer all large fraud cases above Rs 50 crore to the board and on receipt of its recommendation or advice, the bank concerned would take further action in such matters.
IIT-Delhi establishes DESMI Centre of Excellence
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi has partnered with Denmark-based firm to start DESMI Centre of Excellence on Waste-to-Wealth at IIT-Delhi. The centre will provide support for implementing framework of pilot projects, which address waste collection and management with possible energy generation.
PM Modi launches $4.2 million redevelopment project of iconic Hindu temple in Bahrain
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the $4.2 million redevelopment project of the 200-year-old Lord Sri Krishna temple in Manama, Bahrain and said it manifests the strong ties between India and Bahrain.
NASA honours Rolling Stones by naming rock on Mars after band
NASA announced that it has named a rock on Mars in honour of the iconic English band, The Rolling Stones.
- The space agency said that the “Rolling Stones Rock” was a stone that was sent rolling after NASA’s InSight lander touched down on the Mars’ surface.
PV Sindhu becomes first Indian to win BWF World Championships
Indian shuttler PV Sindhu won the BWF World Championships title by defeating Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in straight games by 21-7, 21-7 at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland.
- By winning the title, Sindhu has become the first Indian to clinch a gold medal at the World Championships.
Komalika Bari wins World Archery Youth Championships
The seventeen-year-old Indian Komalika Bari defeated Japan’s Waka Sonoda in the recurve cadet women’s final to win a gold medal at the 2019 World Archery Youth Championships in Madrid, Spain.
- Bari won her first major event and became the third Indian archer to hold a world title.
Kohli becomes most successful Indian captain in overseas Tests
As India registered a comprehensive 318-run win over West Indies in the first Test of two-match series, skipper Virat Kohli added yet another feather to his cap, becoming the most successful Indian captain in overseas Tests.
- Kohli went past former captain Sourav Ganguly to achieve the feat. This was Kohli’s 12th overseas Test victory. He broke the record in his 26th match as skipper. Ganguly had 11 Test wins from 28 matches.
App launched to help Paralympians to look up accessible places in Tokyo
A mobile app — IndTokyo — was launched to help Indian para-athletes to look up accessible places in Tokyo during their visit to the city for the 2020 Paralympics Games.
- The application has features like information on para-athletes and accessible places in Tokyo among others.
Alex Rins wins British Grand Prix
Spain motorcycle racer, Alex Rins of the Team SUZUKI ECSTAR has won the British Grand Prix. He defeated Marc Marquez by 0.013 seconds.
Shri Prabhakar Singh, Director General, CPWD chosen for ‘Eminent Engineer Award- 2019’
Shri Prabhakar Singh, Director General, Central Public Works Department has been chosen for the ‘Eminent Engineer Award for the Year 2019’ by the Institution of Engineers (India) for his distinguished and exemplary Service in the field of Engineering and Technology.